SkyQ Equipment Return

So, after SKy informed me of a 30% price increase for renewal of my BB, TV (basic package), i gave notice to terminate at contract end date (July 10). After being passed through a series of operators, i finally managed to get past the sales patter & nail them down into actioning my notice. At the end of the conversation, i was informed that the equipment was only on loan & that they require it back (something i was aware of & have no issue with) within 60 days or they would "impose a £160 fine" (no doubt the terminolgy was instructed in their training, also, no doubt that SKY would admit this); i was told that Sky would post out pre-paid, return packaging.......& that it is returned via the post office. To be clear, the operative insisted that it is a legal requirement, as agreed to in the tems of their contract, for me to dismantle the equipment that their engineer installed & that i paid a set up fee for, use my time to pack it up & take it to the post office. My local post office is not in walking distance, so, in addition to time, i must cover the cost of fuel, wear & tear to my vehicle, car park charges, a walk through the precinct, wait in the queue & then return home. I asked him to iterate the specifics of the contract & he declined.....i may be naive, but surely Sky are talking bollox? I had a similar experience with VIrgin & once i informed them that my fees are chrged at £70 ph, with a £30 expense charge for fuel & wear & tear along with a one-off admin charge of £50, they sent a driver. However, i'm sure Sky actively pursue the !60 & refer to debt collection without exception.

Debt collectors don't bother for small amounts..they buy the debt and if they get the money, they give part of it to the company, in this case Sky.
If they don't get the money, they pass it back to Sky.
There's not enough profit for them to do more than send a few letters, a home visit and they're out of pocket even if you pay, they cannot risk it.
If a debt collector gets in touch just tell them the last occupants have moved out and you've just bought the place, that's the last you'll hear about it.

Debt collectors don't bother for small amounts..they buy the debt and if they get the money, they give part of it to the company, in this case Sky.
There's not enough profit for them to do more than send a few letters, a home visit and they're out of pocket even if you pay, they cannot risk it.
If a debt collector gets in touch just tell them the last occupants have moved out and you've just bought the place, that's the last you'll hear about it.
Yeah, i'mnot overly concerned with dealing with debt collectors, nor particularly my credit rating......just more of a heads up on what Sky interpret the terms & conditions of their contracts to mean.

just tell sky to send a courier as you can't get to the post office

I would Also be tempted to tell them they need to send someone round to replace the skyq lNB with the standard one you had before as you are not qualified to do it and THEIR SkyQ LNB is no use to anyone

just tell sky to send a courier as you can't get to the post office

I would Also be tempted to tell them they need to send someone round to replace the skyq lNB with the standard one you had before as you are not qualified to do it and THEIR SkyQ LNB is no use to anyone
I insisted they install a hybrid which they did.

Unfortunately, these debt collectors have access to the electoral register, DVLA sell them your personal information too......like the address where your license is registered, vehicle registration/s & even if you aren't the registered keeper, the cars on which you are a named driver etc. They are allowed to visit your work premises & removal of implied right of access does not apply. But, it is so much fun engaging with them if your circumstances permit.

Unfortunately, these debt collectors have access to the electoral register, DVLA sell them your personal information too......like the address where your license is registered, vehicle registration/s & even if you aren't the registered keeper, the cars on which you are a named driver etc. They are allowed to visit your work premises & removal of implied right of access does not apply. But, it is so much fun engaging with them if your circumstances permit.
All that may come into play if they stood the chance of getting a few grand, they're not going to jump through hoops on the off chance of getting £80, paying DVLA anything will not be on the cards as they already know they probably won't get anything and will end up out of pocket

Also, third party debt collection companies, buy your debt for around 10%, they add admin costs, they can add interest & the law allows extortionate charges to be added for every letter or visit. The Police will eagerly accompany them to your door & although the law is that they act impartially & present strictly as to prevent any breach of the peace, few police officers understand that, happy to facilitate their intentions........a civil dispute where documents are mocked up to resemble criminal warrants that the police, in their ignorance perceive as having the power of law behind the wording.

I think the best course of action is to package it up and email photos of it to Sky telling them you're unable to return it but happy to have it collected by a courier of their choosing, then you've covered your backside a little bit in the event of them taking it any further. If you're subsequently contacted by a third party debt collection company I'd send them the photo and tell them they can collect it as full payment of any perceived debt.

Might be worth asking on money saving expert forum as there's usually people who are pretty clued up on such matters.

I know I couldn't be arsed, I'd just pop to the Post Office - now this might be just because I am a city boy and pass a post office most days.
However, they are giving you 60 days, so surely to God you'll be passing a Post office in that time? As for wear and tear, and all the other crud you mention, come on, do it, I'll give you the 40p.
If you'd titled this thread something like "do I have to return my Sky Q box?" you'd have goten pretty much the same advice, without the added drama.
For what it is worth, I know that the Virgin gear that they replaced in my Dad's house is still sitting there as they never got around to sending a courier or even a post paid box.

I'm surprised they don't do collection similar to Virgin who have field reps to pick up cancelled equipment.

If you're really unable to visit the Post Office your best alternative could be telling them you're housebound.

Virgin engineer came out and collected mine. I even got a text telling me what day that they intended to come. True to their word they did turn up.

Back