SNR and AGC questions?

channelking

Hi I hope you guys can help I'm really confused and would appreciate answers to my questions.

1. Is SNR signal level or signal strength as I'm kinda confused with these terms? I though signal level is to do with dB.

2. Also why does the SNR and AGC number fluctuate so much on both?

3. What does it mean if you have 50-90% on SNR and 0-90% on AGC? Is it good or bad?

Thanks.

SNR = Signal to Noise Ratio - which means signal quality
AGC = Automatic Gain Control - which means signal strength

So, SNR and AGC should be as high as possible

So if you have low SNR say 50% or less and 0% AGC that is bad?

All of this technical advanced stuff is so overwhelming.

I dont know the issue im having with box, splitter etc, is to with the kit, internet itself or to do with signal levels/strength.

It could be some all or one. When you say splitter for instance you cant split your satellite feed like you can for cable you need to run seperate feeds from the dish LNB to each box. Also if you experience issues on freesat channels that do not rely on the internet to clear then that is ruled out. A number of things like cable terminations and LNB age can also effect signal as well as weather and obstructions/obstacles in line of site

Anything over 60 is good. Currently I'm watching a channel 92 SNR and 71 AGC. If either go below 60 you will definitely experience problems.

Openbox/Skybox readings are normally 90% and around 70% and that will generally provide a decent stable picture.
The terms SNR and AGC have been used for many moons so not really new or technical terms.
Everything from an LNB to LOOP to SNR etc etc is fully explained just by having a quick google [sounds dirty and painful but really it's easy]lol
Reaper.

Anything over 60 is good. Currently I'm watching a channel 92 SNR and 71 AGC. If either go below 60 you will definitely experience problems.

But I usually have SNR over 60 but most of the time AGC is 0-10% but no issues. Why is this as you say there would be issues if below 60?

---------- Post Merged at 09:52 PM ----------

Openbox/Skybox readings are normally 90% and around 70% and that will generally provide a decent stable picture.
The terms SNR and AGC have been used for many moons so not really new or technical terms.
Everything from an LNB to LOOP to SNR etc etc is fully explained just by having a quick google [sounds dirty and painful but really it's easy]lol
Reaper.

Its not just those terms, alot of other information people say is really technical and difficult to get my head around.

Just to clarify I have read loads of website, articles etc so I have done research despite struggling stil.

I don't understand what your problem is. If you usually have a signal of 60 and most of the time the agc is 0-10% with no issues what is the issue. My mate has a big issue.... he usually sells it outside the co-op for £1 lol

We're not all brainboxes m8 but most of what you read and hear isn't rocket science either. Todays generation loves the use of text abbreviations and long technical sounding meaningless jargon [just like your local council] but,it's easy to pick out the actual "baffle part" then search that term--I use wikipedia and google the "baffler" and eventually locate and understand [but I also have a degree in engineering lol]
Reaper.

Im just confused how and why the SNR and AGC goes up and down on all channels.

Reaper, I wish I was more knowledgeable like you and others, I have tried to understand what I can but most of the information is too complicated.

Knowledge is gained as you proceed thru life with 3 little words---Read, Ask and Learn. Never be afraid to ask questions, there are always morons waiting to ridicule you but there are many more willing to share their expertise and knowledge with you.
Reaper.

Back