some channels flickering alot

Param84

Hi all,

First post so please be kind... I have a satellite dish connected to my skybox f5 and most channels work fine but bbc1, channel 4, universal and some others jump up and down in intensity and quality. All other channels are fine.

Has anyone else had this problem? Any help would be much appreciated.

Thank you.
Param.

Have you checked the line of sight of your dish for possible obstructions (branches moving in the wind and such).

As above plus check signal strength on the channels themselves, has the dish moved in the wind or had any sort of "Whack"

Thanks for your replies. The line of sight is clear, nothing near by. The intensity goes from 90 to 44 and quality goes from 75 to 10. The dish hasnt taken any hits, not sure if the wind could have moved it. Could it have been moved even if a lot of the channels are clear with no jumps?

Cheers again both!
Param.

Check the cable for signs of cracked insulation, and make sure the connectors at both ends are not loose. Also check that the lnb is not loose in its holder.

Some transponder frequencies are more prone to give bad reception with a misaligned dish or heavy cloud cover than others.

During the bad thunderstorms a week or 2 ago, some of my channels were breaking up badly, while others were still OK (I think the Horror channel was one of those affected).

It looks like your dish might need a slight realignment.

Ok thanks for all your help. I did forget to mention that in the day some of these channels are fine and then later on they start flickering, guess that could just be down to the wind.

Ill get the satellite guy to come and reallign again.

Cheers.
Param.

---------- Post Merged at 11:09 AM ----------

The lnb is tightly attached. The cabling and connectors are fine as well. I have checked this.

Cheers.

Also any bad weather heading ur way (not necessarily above you) can do this but should only be occasional.

still not working correctly

Hi all,

First post so please be kind... I have a satellite dish connected to my skybox f5 and most channels work fine but bbc1, channel 4, universal and some others jump up and down in intensity and quality. All other channels are fine.

Has anyone else had this problem? Any help would be much appreciated.

Thank you.
Param.
Had the Satellite guy come to check the dish alignment. Put it to channel four and bbc 1&2 and was working fine after if he adjusted the dish. no movement on the dish but again its gone back to jumping.

Satellite guy said he'll try to replace the LNB and see if that fixes the issue. Any other suggestions?

Thanks for all your comments :)

Any leaves in way of dish to sat or when old cables harden they crack and need replaced. But lnb good start

i had that problem, the problem with mine was my dish is on the back of my house on the left hand side, i got my 1.5w laser pointer and put it on the arm that holds the lnb to see exactly where my dish was pointing, about 5 houses away are massive trees and the laser dot was bang in the middle of the trees :( i moved the dish to the right side of my house and got brave on the ladder and moved it much higher than it was before, about 2 meters higher. done the trick perfect :) intensity is 90 % and quality is 79 % neither move up and down like they did before i moved the dish

i had that problem, the problem with mine was my dish is on the back of my house on the left hand side, i got my 1.5w laser pointer and put it on the arm that holds the lnb to see exactly where my dish was pointing, about 5 houses away are massive trees and the laser dot was bang in the middle of the trees :( i moved the dish to the right side of my house and got brave on the ladder and moved it much higher than it was before, about 2 meters higher. done the trick perfect :) intensity is 90 % and quality is 79 % neither move up and down like they did before i moved the dish
I've had a look and there are some trees past the houses in the direction my dish is facing. Hoping the satellite guy comes round this week, will mention it to him and see if moving it solves the issue.

Cheers.
Param.

Hi all

A bit of late message but thought I'd post the resolution in case someone has the same problem.

I changed the lnb and that fixed the problem for me.

Cheers for all your responses. Happy Xmas and new year!

Back