Some newbie questions

Carpytone

Hi all,

I have been planning on getting rid of my Sly sub and getting a Freesat Humax box. However my eyes have been opened to the world of Linux boxes and the capabilities of these with shared servers etc. I just had a few questions that I hope some of you won't mind anwering :

1) I am looking at the VU+ Duo receiver. Any recommendations on which image I should choose - Vix etc. What differences do these make?
2) Should the shared server route not work out for me would I still be able to use this box as a Freesat box - ie. FTA channels - don't want to pay £200 on a box for it to become an ornament :)
3) If I did use it as a FTA box would I still be able to take advantage of pause/record etc.
4) Is there some way to get the various catchup services (BBC iPlayer etc) regardless of how I use the box
5) Thinking of purchasing the box from WOS - I'm sure I read you can get discount from them if you are a member on here - is that correct?

Apologies for all the questions and appreciate anyone who can assist in answering them

T

1. VU good stb Also look at Mutant boxes great spec. Vix image great support
2. Yes you will be able to receive fta
3. Yes you would be able to pause/ record an external hdd recommended
4. On demand bbc dosn't work itv and others ok
5. Wos only sell genuine boxes no clones yes discount if you become a member on wos site, great supplier

Better option is htpc then these expensive VU boxes.

£250-300 would get you a htpc which would kill VU Duo in every department and you wont have any worries (may seem expensive but its not Duo from WOS is £230)

Back