splitting the coax?

devers

ok, this might be a stupid question, and might be in the wrong section, apologies.

so this is my situation. from the wall socket in my room i have two coax cables,i have tried to fit another one down but the conduit in the wall is so thin i cant, the house was built in 1980.
there is no way i could get another coax cable down it, so my question is, can i split one of these cables into two? is there an adaptor or box or something i can get to do this? both wires are connected to a port each on the end of the lnb. i could connect another as its a quad lnb but i dont want to go drilling through the kitchen wall and into the sitting room, and herself wouldnt be to happy with this either.
so what options would you think i have?
thank you

If you split a cable you will loose signal to your box connections LMB dish to LNB box,you need to run another cable from dish to box if you need an extra cable for another box

How are you trying to get it down the conduit or do you mean cavity?

Why would you need 3 feeds from the lnb to the one room?

No you can not split the cable.

Without knowing the layout for your home it's hard to suggest unless you want to post up a layout picture.

You can use a stacker/ de stacker to send 2 sat signals down one cable. Quite expensive compared to getting another cable in, why do you need 3 sat feeds in living room? You can also you sat/TV diplexers and send 1xtv and 1xsat signal down one cable.

---------- Post Merged at 09:49 AM ----------

You can use a stacker/ de stacker to send 2 sat signals down one cable. Quite expensive compared to getting another cable in, why do you need 3 sat feeds in living room? You can also use sat/TV diplexers and send 1xtv and 1xsat signal down one cable.

sorry just on lunch now.
the dish is on the back of my house. at the minute i only have 2 wires from the lnb through the attic and down through the conduit(which is in the cavity but cant get another down as the insulation is pumped into the walls)and coming out of the wall socket in the sitting room.
these two coax cables are going into the back of the sky box. at the mmoment i have one in sky box and one in my zgemma box.
the problem is the misses wants to keep recording on the sky box and thats why i need a way of splitting the cable or installing another one.
i was thinking this option today at work, but the only way i could do it is to put the cable in the lnb, then tac it in along the wall and over the roof, tac it in down the front of the house and drill through the wall in the bottom corner of the front of the house into the sitting room, and then tidy it under the skirting board, but this is a lot of work, thats why im looking for a different option.

sorry for long post and thanks for reading.

i just want to add, this is a two storey house

1 option is to move house :) ... But seriously newer satellite shotgun cable twin coax cables are around half the diameter of a standard coax if that's what you have already have installed. Therefore you should be able to put 2 lots of shotgun giving you 4 feeds or even split one to give a bit more space and have 3 feeds instead. You could attach them to the old coax and pull them through whilst pulling out the old cable.

1 option is to move house :) ... But seriously newer satellite shotgun cable twin coax cables are around half the diameter of a standard coax if that's what you have already have installed. Therefore you should be able to put 2 lots of shotgun giving you 4 feeds or even split one to give a bit more space and have 3 feeds instead. You could attach them to the old coax and pull them through whilst pulling out the old cable.

ha,i own the house so thats not an option :)

its the shot gun i have in it, and thats the way i got it in, pulled it down using the old single satellite cable that was in it, it was the old standard box i had and had to get the shotgun cable when i put in the sky + HD box. the gap i have to put the cable down is tiny, its the old conduit, very old, more like a thin pipe!
i think im going to have to go over the roof :damn:

ive got 5 feeds going into my living room and lots of cable im afraid, i presume he knows the answer as to why he want 3 !

You can buy a splitter kit for about a fiver on eBay. Use one feed off the shotgun to the splitter, the two tails of the kit to run your Sky + box, then use the other
shotgun feed to run the Zgemma.

splitter kit.JPG

If your Zgemma is a duel tuner why not just buy a USB HDD and record to that and do away with the Sky + box ?

Last edited:
Presumably the dish is at the back because it wouldn't be able to get the signal if fitted to the front due to line of sight. Have you thought about attaching the dish to the front of your house via a bracket that will allow the dish to get a signal. A cheap option and minimal drilling to refix yourself will cost more to get a sat installer to do.

You can buy a splitter kit for about a fiver on eBay. Use one feed off the shotgun to the splitter, the two tails of the kit to run your Sky + box, then use the other

View attachment 13768

If your Zgemma is a duel tuner why not just buy a USB HDD and record to that and do away with the Sky + box ?

the misses would die if i got rid of the sky box! but this is what im going to do. thanks

---------- Post Merged at 08:51 PM ----------

Presumably the dish is at the back because it wouldn't be able to get the signal if fitted to the front due to line of sight. Have you thought about attaching the dish to the front of your house via a bracket that will allow the dish to get a signal. A cheap option and minimal drilling to refix yourself will cost more to get a sat installer to do.

has to be on the back, its on the back as it is facing away from the house, so wouldnt work on the front! cheers though

View attachment 13768

I was once told on this forum that it is not a good idea to use splitters on LNB. I have similar issue, but in my case I have two TVs one in the lounge and the other in the conservatory. My box has now been stationed permanently in the conservatory so I have banned my Mrs from there haha.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

View attachment 13768

I was once told on this forum that it is not a good idea to use splitters on LNB. I have similar issue, but in my case I have two TVs one in the lounge and the other in the conservatory. My box has now been stationed permanently in the conservatory so I have banned my Mrs from there haha.

haha, i could do with a man cave arite! but i have my comfort in the sitting room with my recliner and open fire lol

View attachment 13768

haha, i could do with a man cave arite! but i have my comfort in the sitting room with my recliner and open fire lol
Hahahaha

Why not just move one of the boxes to a different room no need to have the two boxes in same room this would solve the issue so you just run cable to other room maybe a bedroom which would mean simple run outside then drill hole or you drill into loft and drop cable down into room.

I bet you could get another cable down in cavity if you do it running next to the conduit.

You shouldn't run bare cable over roofing I know you see installers do it but this is not correct install and well a lot of the installers get s**t pay so they do not care they just do enough that it works at the time.

Like the first method but you your lounge you could drill into loft one side of the house and then drill to bring it out other side so no cables over the roof.

View attachment 13768

You cannot split a satellite feed like that. There would be 2 tuners trying to use 1 port on the LNB.

The tuner sends signals to the LNB for polarisation (vertical/horizontal) and hi band/low band switching. So one of the tuners would show "no signal" if you tried to split the feed.

Unless you buy expensive equipment like they use in blocks of flats, it's strictly, one LNB port per tuner.

just going to get another coax, put it in through the soffit on the back of the house and into the attic, and out of the soffit on the front of the house and down the wall, and drilled in through the bottom corner in the sitting room. should be a tidy enough job.

thanks for all your replys

Back