Stereophonics' Stuart Cable Is Laid To Rest

Gman496

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thousand of fans of former Stereophonics drummer Stuart Cable have paid their respects to the late musician at his funeral in South Wales.

319.jpg

Stuart Cable's coffin is taken to church by horse-drawn carriage

Up to 5,000 people brought the Valley town of Aberdare to a standstill as they lined the funeral procession route.

They respectfully applauded as his dark wood coffin was taken by horse-drawn carriage to St Elvan's Church.

Friends and family attended the service, which was relayed to the public outside on loud speakers.

Among the mourners were Stereophonics frontman Kelly Jones, comedian Rob Brydon, actor Rhys Ifans and veteran Welsh comic Max Boyce.

The funeral certainly lived up to its aim of being a "celebration" of the drummer's life as loud heavy metal music was played live outside the church by one of Cable's favourite bands, High Voltage.

Inside, friends fondly recounted their memories of Cable.

320.jpg

Kelly Jones, Ron Brydon and Rhys Ifans were among the mourners

Gwyn Davies, long-time friend, former neighbour and one-time judo instructor to Cable, said: "I would like to say that he was my best friend but he was many people's best friend.

"People are not here today because of his celebrity... they are here because they want to say goodbye to a nice, normal bloke."

He also joked about Cable's singing voice, saying: "For those of you unlucky enough to hear him sing I can honestly say that drumming was the right choice."

As the coffin was carried out to a waiting hearse, High Voltage played AC/DC's Back In Black.

Childhood friend Kelly Jones left the service saying: "No one else could get a send-off like that.

"It's hard to walk out crying when they are playing Back in Black."

321.jpg

Stuart Cable's coffin is taken into church for his funeral service

The hearse was then led away for a private service at nearby Llwydcoed Crematorium.

Cable, 40, was found dead at this home in Llwydcoed on June 7.

Police are still waiting for the results of toxicology tests but his death is not being treated as suspicious.

Although he left Stereophonics in 2003, Cable was a well-known and popular personality in South Wales after forging a career as a TV chat show host and radio presenter, as well as appearing in a testicular cancer awareness campaign.

Those who lived in the community saw him as a local boy-made-good who had remained loyal to his Valleys roots.

322.jpg

Stuart Cable, 40, died at his home on June 7

Barbara Goodenough, 54, of Aberdare, said: "Stuart was at school with my oldest son and my other boys always followed the Stereophonics.

"I have got to be honest with you, this has been a terrible shock to all of the young people around here.

"It is a terrible, terrible tragedy, really sad, and has come as a big shock. He was such a lovely boy."

Jade Vaughan, 17, of Aberdare, said: "The Stereophonics were the soundtrack of my youth. That is true of a lot of people around here.

"He died very young and that's tragic."

Back