Taking a Tivo box to another property?

TheSource

TK Veteran
Asking on behalf of a friend. He has the Virgin XL package and he's going to be staying at his Dad's for several weeks who lives a mile away. His dad has cable installed with a basic package. What's the chances if he takes his Tivo box round that it will work?

Think it might work pal
If it's in the same area reference
I've took mine to my parents house when I go on holiday and it works there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Should work fine as it's the unique mac address of the TiVo box that gets activated with the relevant package.

Should work fine as it's the unique mac address of the TiVo box that gets activated with the relevant package.

Thanks I'm not sure how it works to be honest. Initially I thought it would only work if it's connected to the same green box?

Ok my friend has took his Tivo box to his Dad's and all is working fine. He can access all the XL package channels. However he can't access his recordings/on demand. Without connecting the box to the internet. Just wondering if this is safe to do or will in flag up vermin's end? His dad has Virgin internet.

Should be fine - genuine VM equipment isn't it? ... can't see them having any issue with that.

Should be fine - genuine VM equipment isn't it? ... can't see them having any issue with that.

All genuine. Just using the box at a different address. I just don't want the MAC address of the box flagging up and they cancel the line.

It's a genuine box, you're paying for it - you can use it wherever you like as long as there's a TV licence at the property you're using it, you're not breaking any laws.

it's a violation of VM's TOC, regardless of whether any laws are broken:

Re: Am I allowed to use my V box in another property?
[ Edited ]
Post options

‎05-02-2016 17:39 - edited ‎05-02-2016 17:40

Under your contract you can only use your box at the address on your account. All Virgins boxes are tethered via their MAC addresses to the optical node that serves your property. If you connect the box to another optical node, this will be detected by the systems, & the viewing card in the box will be invalidated. If it is a recordable box, the recodings cannot be viewed wilthout being connected to Virgins network.

Code:
http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Virgin-TV/Am-I-allowed-to-use-my-V-box-in-another-property/td-p/3034684

it's a violation of VM's TOC, regardless of whether any laws are broken:

Re: Am I allowed to use my V box in another property?
[ Edited ]
Post options

‎05-02-2016 17:39 - edited ‎05-02-2016 17:40

Under your contract you can only use your box at the address on your account. All Virgins boxes are tethered via their MAC addresses to the optical node that serves your property. If you connect the box to another optical node, this will be detected by the systems, & the viewing card in the box will be invalidated. If it is a recordable box, the recodings cannot be viewed wilthout being connected to Virgins network.

Code:
http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Virgin-TV/Am-I-allowed-to-use-my-V-box-in-another-property/td-p/3034684

I was literally going to post that. So basically my friend will be running a chance of it being flagged up. My friend's address is around 1 mile away to the registered address. What's the chances of him being connected to the same optical node? On another note this is a V6 box and doesn't have a viewing card. Viewing card's are now redundant.

no idea of the chances of it being flagged, but if he can watch TV ok, I'd leave it at that, trying to watch recordings and VOD sounds like it could be a different kettle of fish

no idea of the chances of it being flagged, but if he can watch TV ok, I'd leave it at that, trying to watch recordings and VOD sounds like it could be a different kettle of fish

Yes I think I will just tell him to leave connecting it to the internet. If it's working for the moment it should be fine.

Back