The Big Short

anujd

Anyone seen this yet? I found it disappointing, can't understand why it has all the Oscar buzz it has

I work in finance and even gave up tonIght after the wife moaning most of the fIrst half hour but sort of agreed!

Sent from my HTC Desire 610 using Tapatalk

I thought all of the individual performances were good, even Steve Carell who managed to step slightly outside of his usual schtick. The trouble was always going to be that the subject matter is very dry. I found myself slightly insulted by the technique of using random stars to explain key financial concepts to me in baby language whilst at the same time as being profoundly grateful for it too. Also, although the gimmick of the actors randomly directly addressing the camera was quite enjoyable it was employed inconsistently and so came across as contrived. My main problem with the film however was that it asked you to be sympathetic to a group of people who profited from the financial crash and tried to portray them as heroes who fought the establishment, whether as a plot device to have someone to root for within the narrative or because these people helped to inform the script.

only seen this recently. I was looking forward to it as I'm a fan of Bale and Carell was excellent in Foxcatcher.. I couldn't get into this at all I got lost trying to follow it

Back