The VM enigma

Eddiecraw

Hi guys, I'm moving house in the next few weeks to a property that uses VM for TV and Phone.
With sly falling to bits, now's a good time to be switching to VM.

I have a vu duo2 box and just purchased and installed a twin cable tuner in the B slot that shows as tuners c+d (also have a twin sat tuner in slot A currently in use).
I've also got the RF adaptor, F plugs and 5-1000mhz splitter ready for when we move house. I'll arrange to have the VM BB live for when we move in so I can set up the box for televisual purposes ;)

At my current address I have the old NTL world cable connector box with the 'FM' and 'TV' symbols. Is there any way to test the connector to see if it's 'live' or not so I can test my twin cable tuner?

I know I'll need the net id's, SR ,and a line to get it running properly, I'm just looking to test it for now so I'm ready to go.

Cheers.

You won't know till you try, just set it up and do a service scan and see if it pulls channels in?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You won't know till you try, just set it up and do a service scan and see if it pulls channels in?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well that was interesting.

I rigged a cable up and ran the signal finder using a couple of local frequencies and it jumped off the scales with snr 100% agc 95% but the ber - 383 whatever that means! I'm assuming I've found the correct frequency for my region and it's just telling me there's channels available?

Ran a service scan and it found 574 channels! Although none have stuck in the favourites through Abm.

All this without VM broadband and no line inserted using just a cable to an old NTL socket.

Is this normal without an official VM account or any VM equipment?

If I installed a cable line in the mgcam would these channels then stick in the Abm or do I need to change a setting to make this happen? At the moment I can't even get the fta channels to stick.

Are you in the UK Eddie? ... if so, when you scan with ABM you should only find about 380 video channels of which only channels 1-5 in standard definition will clear without a VM gift.

Hi Ste, yes it's a bit weird.

I live in the uk and just scanned virgin, freesat, sky UK and sky roi.... Found 1600+ channels!

The virgin channels seem to have stuck at the top of the Abm now with VM preview at the top and VM music at the top of the music folder. Just checked the virgin folder and channels 1-5 are at the top and viewable.

This is without any VM hardware, using plusnet bb on a bt line and no cable n line installed.

Last edited:
Hi Ste, yes it's a bit weird.

I live in the uk and just scanned virgin, freesat, sky UK and sky roi.... Found 1600+ channels!

The virgin channels seem to have stuck at the top of the Abm now with VM preview at the top and VM music at the top of the music folder.

This is without any VM hardware, using plusnet bb on a bt line and no cable n line installed.

That's 380 UK Channels - if you're adding ROI channels and S*y channel too then that amount of channels sounds about right.

You can change how the bouquets are set up in autobouquetsmaker - config

Generally, V*rgin don't disconnect the cable so it's usually always still live which sounds the case here so good news for you :)

Happy days! :(y):

I suppose the next question is do I buy a cable line and install it on mgcam before I move house as I'm not using a filter?

I could still have a play around and remove the freesat and roi bouquets to reduce the clutter.

Thanks for your help Ste.

Mines 0
With no freezing whatsoever
Cheers Pedro, I'm guessing -383 is good then? Lol

I've deleted my bouquets and binned off freesat and roi. Done a fresh search thru Abm and now got about 915 channels arranged properly.
All the s*y sports and movies have disappeared as expected but are available in the VM menu (although blank without a line yet).

I think I'll order a cable line thru my guy and have it set up ready for the move.

Cheers guys.

Back