"Tune Failed" on Sat side problem?

channelking

Hi guys

Recently I have been getting the "tune failed" message alot on the sat side and no channels including FTA are clearing.

What could be the cause of this? Is my tuners faulty?

The sat feeds coming into the box are old and I have noticed that there are copper strands showing out of the cabling as well as the connector being loose. I have tried to make sure its tight but not sure if it is now.

Any advice would be appreciated.

I had similar problem other week but found it was the wiring from coax to input at back, clip the end off & try again, worked for me

My son had same problem and I found a stray outer core wire on the center and remade connection with a great picture now. Do not forget that the line carries voltage (not enough to kill you but can upset box) so make sure it is off when doing. A Quick continuity check and all done.

It's basically the same as getting a "no signal" message on skyboxes / openboxes.

It's a problem with the signal somewhere between the dish and your box.

Either your dish is out of alignment, mine moved last winter
and I got the same message,

or a bad connection, re cut the coax and re do the F connectors.

It will be something along those lines usually.

Your not supposed to put up live links to external sites.

You can wrap them though like this

HTML:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vp6VvgCc-h0

It's under the Go Advanced button, bottom right.

Just sayin like lol

Last edited:
Your not supposed to put up live links to external sites.

You can wrap them though like this

HTML:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vp6VvgCc-h0

It's under the Go Advanced button, bottom right.

Just sayin like lol

Sorry my bad :(

I have noticed when it says "tune failed" and no channels come on due no signal I adjust and tighten the f connector at the back of the receiver at channels come back on.

Now I dont like doing this when this issue occurs.

Could do this destroy my box and HDD?

I am just really worried about re cutting the coax cable too much with a blade and in the process damaging the cable.

Go to wilkos, buy a meter of coax and an F connector and practice
before attempting it for real !!! Better safe than sorry !! lol

I havent got money to waste mate.

I am out of work so cant just waste money on things like that.

There could be many issues causing this and its so overwhelming.

no channels come on due no signal I adjust and tighten the f connector at the back of the receiver at channels come back on.

There you go mate, you have solved your own problem.

Turn your box off, undo the F connector from the box, tighten it, connect it back up and switch the box back on.

Jobs a goodun :woohoo:

I've been getting this also, "tuner failed" and this is on the same model of two boxes in two different parts of the house, at first i figured it might be the box as i got one before the other but now that they both do it i figure it must be a connection issue.

My outside dish has not been touched for many years.

The only weird thing though is only ITV is affected by this, never happens on another channel.

When ITV breaks up and comes up with tuner failed i put the box to standby and back on again it's fine for many days until it appears again.

So maybe my dish is need of alignment and new connectors etc.

Last edited:
I've been getting this also, "tuner failed" and this is on the same model of two boxes in two different parts of the house, at first i figured it might be the box as i got one before the other but now that they both do it i figure it must be a connection issue.

My outside dish has not been touched for many years.

The only weird thing though is only ITV is affected by this, never happens on another channel.

When ITV breaks up and comes up with tuner failed i put the box to standby and back on again it's fine for many days until it appears again.

So maybe my dish is need of alignment and new connectors etc.
Could even be the LNB?

When your dish is out of wack you get different signal strengths showing across a range of channels.

If ITV is weak, then leave the TV on that channel and tweak the dish left to right or up and down by about 1-2 mm, you will
either get a signal drop (so go the other way) or find the picture becomes more stable and the signal strength goes up.

Approx 70-80% should be well good enough, 50-60% can cause the picture to break up (intermittent glitching) , any lower like 30-40 and it will glitch almost constantly or you loose signal altogether.

If you have channels showing it will only be a small movement that is required.

You may also notice it's more of an issue in the rain or when it's windy.

Used to set up a portable dish when I had a touring caravan all the time, don't overthink it, it's just a fancy shaped Ariel.

Last edited:
no channels come on due no signal I adjust and tighten the f connector at the back of the receiver at channels come back on.

There you go mate, you have solved your own problem.

Turn your box off, undo the F connector from the box, tighten it, connect it back up and switch the box back on.

Jobs a goodun :woohoo:

Thats the thing I mate I have tried to do that, but when I tighten it and connect it to the box the coax cables become loose and dont stay tight.

---------- Post Merged at 07:03 PM ----------

When your dish is out of wack you get different signal strengths showing across a range of channels.

If ITV is weak, then leave the TV on that channel and tweak the dish left to right or up and down by about 1-2 mm, you will
either get a signal drop (so go the other way) or find the picture becomes more stable and the signal strength goes up.

Approx 70-80% should be well good enough, 50-60% can cause the picture to break up (intermittent glitching) , any lower like 30-40 and it will glitch almost constantly or you loose signal altogether.

If you have channels showing it will only be a small movement that is required.

You may also notice it's more of an issue in the rain or when it's windy.

Used to set up a portable dish when I had a touring caravan all the time, don't overthink it, it's just a fancy shaped Ariel.

Would you need fancy equipment to adjust both dish and LNB if they are the problem?

Back