Tutorial: How to prepare your USB HDD to play Wii Backup games

dan-ger-ous

VIP Member
I decided to make a tutorial about how to setup your USB HDD to play Wii BackUps (Soft modded Wii) after successfully modding my Wii (4.3e) by using the following tutorial:

http://www.techkings.org/nintendo-wii/18761-4-2-below-softmodding-less-conflict-version.html
[Thanks to sinno and wheelo]

This is more of a follow through of the thread above, going to throw everything that I have learnt whilst softmodding my wii in this thread.

The two loaders that I'll be referring to are uLoader and CFG USB Loader (there are many more loaders out there but i prefer CFG). Both of these loaders are able to make your Wii play your BackUp games. I prefer the CFG USB Loader over the uLoader, and I will explain as I'm writing this tutorial.

Now you might be familiar of the .iso format. Its a format that you will likely end up with when making backup of media such as DVD's and Games. The thing with the original wii game discs is that not all disk space is used, and because of this, the remainder of the disc is filled with unnecessary garbage. Nobody wants to waste any disk space when it comes to backups which is where the .wbfs format comes into play.

There is a program called WBFS manager and Wii Backup manager. Both of these awesome apps are able to get rid of this garbadge from the .iso's and leave you with just the game itself. So an .ISO of a file size 4.3GB can be easily reduced to as little as 1.6GB (.wbfs). Now how much its reduced by depends on how much garbadge nintendo has put onto the disc.

WBFS Manager:
With this Backup manager you will have to mark a partition with .wbfs file system. This file system cannot be read by Windows, but just the soft modded nintendo Wii. So you will have to mark a partition on your USB HDD to go forward with this one.
This manager is best used to prep your USB HDD for the use of "uLoader"

Wii Backup Manager (my choice): Or there is the WiiBackup manager. This is the upgraded version of the previous WBFS manager. This app will allow you to store your .wbfs games onto a Fat32 or NTFS hard drive. Now this probably makes more sense, maybe you dont have much backups and so dont want to dedicate a HDD to a filesystem that is useless to you other than on the Wii, well now you dont have to with this loader.

I will now show how both of these loaders work and will give abit of advice/tips at the end:

How to prepare your USB HDD with WBFS manager for use with uLoader (.wbfs file format)

Download the WBFS manager from here (32bit X86 ONLY - You will need the most up-to-date Microsoft .net framework to run this application.):
WBFS Manager for 32bit(86) - Downloads - TechKings

mainub.png

Here is a quick overview of WBFS Manager 3.0:

(Warning be careful that you chose the correct drive, you dont want to format the wrong drive to .wbfs, there will be no way out but to reformat the wrong drive again for it to function and as a result lose all your data on there)

If your drive does not show up then simply click on Refresh Drive List.

Information about your Wii HDD is at the bottom. (This is what i'll be calling the HDD that you'll be using for Wii backups in this thread)

If you have a .wbfs file format on your Wii HDD and you want the original ISO back, then just select the .ISO in WBFS Manager and click on Extract iso and then save.

formatv.png

Once you have selected the CORRECT drive (Wii HDD), click on format and then press Yes (read the warning).

formatcomplete.png

Great! Now you have succesfully formatted your Wii HDD to ...yes the .wbfs file system :)

addingc.png

I've added the relevant info in the screenshot to keep this one nice and simple.

cantaccessdriveformat.png

..and if you try to access your drive in My Computer, you will find that you wont be able to as Windows doesn't recognize this file system. (formatting will make you lose all your .wbfs Wii Backups)

*Now that you have done this, your drive is ready! Simply just plug it into the USB port that is near to the edge of your Wii for this to work)
Then select uLoader on your Wii's main menu and it should detect the Wii HDD and your games will show up."

How to prepare your USB HDD with Wii Backup Manager for use with CFG USB Loader (FAT32 or NTFS):
Wii BackUp Manager 0.3.8 - Downloads - TechKings
You will need the most up-to-date Microsoft .net framework to run this application.)

mainnx.png

Here's a quick overview:

The files tab will allow you to load your .iso file into the program ready for processing/transferring.
The Drive 1 and Drive 2 both refer to your Wii HDD's. I'll be just looking at 1 drive as i'm sure most of you will be using 1 Wii HDD, right?
ISO .images are split into 4GB parts if you use the fat32 file system.

addwbfsfolder.png

On the Drive 1 tab, select the drive letter for your HDD, in my case its drive F:/
The program will detect that its a valid drive letter and will create a wbfs folder in the root of your Wii HDD for you.
(notice here your not changing the file system, you can either use a fat32 or NTFS Wii HDD)

actualloadedinfo.png

Under the Files tab, click on Add | Files, then locate your .ISO. (The file I have loaded is a wbfs file, this is because I have no .iso's to convert at the moment, so just pretend I loaded a .iso file :))

Once you have loaded and checked the tick box of the appropriate iso, you have two options here, either you can convert the .iso to WBFS by doing Transfer | WBFS or if your backup is already a .wbfs file then you can simply transfer it to your Wii HDD by Transfer | Drive 1.
(If you already have a .wbfs file format then I guess you can use Windows Explorer to transfer the file? Yes, your right, but a naming structing is used, otherwise the games wont show in CFG USB Loader, so just use this loader to do it everything correctly. I will post the file structure towards the end of this tutorial.

bottominfotab.png

transferbutton.png

Just a quick overview of your USB HDD (WBFS Folder (FAT32 or NTFS))

transferinprogress.png

Transfer is taking place, and thats about it, the Wii Backup Manager will store the file on your Wii HDD and make the appopriate folder(s)/filename.

*It has been said that FAT32 file system is more stable than NTFS, but NTFS also still works well, take your pick...

FILE STRUCTURE:

(.wbfs)
D:\wbfs\GAMEID.wbfs
D:\wbfs\Title [GAMEID].wbfs
D:\wbfs\Title [GAMEID]\GAMEID.wbfs
D:\wbfs\GAMEID_Title\GAMEID.wbfs

(.iso)
D:\wbfs\GAMEID.iso
D:\wbfs\Title [GAMEID].iso
D:\wbfs\Title [GAMEID]\GAMEID.iso
D:\wbfs\GAMEID_Title\GAMEID.iso

Attention: When I ran the CFG USB Loader and ran a backup (.wbfs) I came across an error telling me to update either one of:

cios249 rev18
cios222v4
cios223v4
cios224v5 or higher is required.

Upgrade ios249 or choose a diferent ios.

Changing the IOS in CFG USB Loader to something else will probably eventually get the game to load. But I set out to fix this problem instead of trying to find a workaround. So i decided I will install cios249, but rev18, tried to find the latest one and came across rev 21 so I will be using this.

ios = Official Operating System
cios = Custom Operating system

Here is how its done:

Download the following: cIOSXrev21Installer - Downloads - TechKings

Extract the folder cIOSrev21Installer and copy it to your apps folder on your SD card i.e. SD:\apps\cIOSrev21Installer

Now to the Wii, insert your SD card, click on homebrew channel (you should have this already with the tutorial linked right at the beginning of this thread [softmodded Wii])

Then click on the loader, and choose the following settings:

IOS to use = 249
then choose <IOS36 3607>
Install it on slot 249
Choose network install and press A to continue, the loader should then do its thing and then restart your Wii when your press the appropriate combination (show on screen)

Now the game that wouldn't load because of the missing IOS249 will now begin to work on IOS249. :)

Tips/Advice:

When loading apps onto the SD card make sure not to use any spaces otherwise you will find that the loader will not show up on the homebrew channel.

Once your Wii is softmodded you will be able to use SDHC cards (CFG USB Loader), this is because it will be used via the loaders and not the official Wii system software.

Use the Wii BackUp Manager to prep your USB, doing it manually will probably cause you to rename the file wrong and it wont show up.

The CFG Loader can do a whole lot! You can change themes, use your SDHC cards/HDD, download cover images, custom IOS selection for better compatibility with USB drives and so much more!

(y) *If theres any questions please do not hesistate to ask*. (y)

Last edited:
Gotta have a proper read of this tomorrow Dan, it's got too late for me, looks good, bit over complicated, though that might be the tired eyes (y)

very good Dan - not taken a proper look but will give it a good look as i know how to add games but saw some stuff in that post that i dont know so now its all up and i can see pictures i can go back over it any look at the backup manager properly in my own time.
Thanks!

Linny - Uou are so pretty and likeable that YOU only have to ask for help and BAM it will be there for you (y)

I was stuck for a while with migrating my stuff to a usb harddrive. Thank you for the help. Fixed days of being stumped.

ravinggg if your having trouble post what it is so someone can possibly help you,

either that posts like this are considered non-constructive and deleted.

After trying alot of different solutions and suggestions from a lot of other webpages, yours might just have saved mah day!

I'm having trouble PLEASE HELP

When i load the cios installer i push A then after that my controller turns off and my gc controller won't work. I need some serious help i even tried with a different cios installer but same results. Can anybody help me with this problem. Thanks in advance. Any help would really help.

I have a Samsung 500 gb HDD. In the WBFS manager, I selected the correct drive and clicked on Format. After formatting, it gave me the message "Format completed successfully. The WBFS drive is now ready." However when I went to Windows Explorer, it still showed me all my old files. So I deleted all my old files manually and formatted the HDD. In WBFS manager, the Browse button was faded (not allowing me the option to select the file). Any suggestions. Thanks.

hello everyone just joined, just setting my Wii up on the HDD but for some reason wont read the games off it. only off copied disks using Wiiflow....

pimpycy,did you copy your games from the disk to the hdd,if so did you create a wbfs folder first,when you checked the hdd did you verify any iso or folders

Surely it will say on your game covers. If your wii is softmodded it doesn't make any difference.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

tamgtown is your wii a 4.3e or 4.3u,the e is for european which tend to be pal,the u is america which is ntsc,then there is ntsc-j which is japanese

tamgtown is your wii a 4.3e or 4.3u,the e is for european which tend to be pal,the u is america which is ntsc,then there is ntsc-j which is japanese

Or that ↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑ lol

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Back