Twin Tuner 2 lines question

scotsman

Hi,

Like a lot of us I've lost my provider so looking for new one.

I use a xspeed LX2 with mgcamd but I'm a bit confused by some of the replies I'm getting when I inquire about a service. Some come back saying multiroom enabled while others say twin tuner is 2 lines. Does this mean they provide two lines and I have to configure the two tuners on my box to use one each? Or does it just mean I need to pay for two lines and they'll configure my account to connect twice.

Hi,

I use a xspeed LX2 with mgcamd but I'm a bit confused by some of the replies I'm getting when I inquire about a service. Some come back saying multiroom enabled while others say twin tuner is 2 lines. Does this mean they provide two lines and I have to configure the two tuners on my box to use one each? Or does it just mean I need to pay for two lines and they'll configure my account to connect twice.

sent you a wee pm buddy, hoe it helps!

sent you a wee pm buddy, hoe it helps![/QUOTE]

I'm the same boat mate could you send me pm to please

Some providers say stuff like 'we allow 3 boxes per line'. for some, that could be 3 of any type of box.
Others will say 1 twin tuner box and 1 regular single tuner box = 3 boxes.
All it means is you can either put your sub file on 3 separate single tuner boxes or 1 twin tuner box and 1 single tuner box.
They count the twin tuner box as 2 boxes.
Other suppliers will allow you to put it on 3 boxes regardless of whether or not they're single or twin tuner boxes.

Thanks for the replies guys.

I'm still not sure about the config. At the server end they see everything comes from my router's IP. That means I could have multiple boxes using the same line but the server will just see connections coming from a single IP. They would however see multiple logins.

How does mgcamd work? Does it log into the server when the box is powered on and then remain connected until its powered off or does it log in when you select a channel and then log out and back in when you change channel?

I thought that if you put two lines into your config it only uses the second as a backup if it can't connect to the first. I don't what to pay for a sub and then get blocked the first time I try to record while watching another channel.

When they say I need two lines does that just mean I pay for two but they send one and configure my login to allow 2 concurrent connections?

Thanks for the replies guys.

I'm still not sure about the config. At the server end they see everything comes from my router's IP. That means I could have multiple boxes using the same line but the server will just see connections coming from a single IP. They would however see multiple logins.

How does mgcamd work? Does it log into the server when the box is powered on and then remain connected until its powered off or does it log in when you select a channel and then log out and back in when you change channel?

I thought that if you put two lines into your config it only uses the second as a backup if it can't connect to the first. I don't what to pay for a sub and then get blocked the first time I try to record while watching another channel.

When they say I need two lines does that just mean I pay for two but they send one and configure my login to allow 2 concurrent connections?

The thing about 'surely all calls to their server will be logged under your router's IP' has always confused me as well but I have not seen any confirmation as to whether this is the case.

If you have two entries setup one box's config file (newcamd.list or whatever) then the box will try to use the first one in the file but if it doesn't respond then it will try the 2nd line.

Multi-lines usually means you have a newcamd.list file (with one entry in it) and then use the same file on all the boxes you own. As others have said, how many boxes you are allowed to do this on depends on who you are sub is with; some will say a twin tuner box takes up 2 'lines' whilst others will says it only takes up 1. For simplicity, any sub provider which say lets you have x multilines then you can happily user the file on x single tuner boxes.

Back