Cable Two box setup

JLC

Hello all,

I've currently got the current set up:

Virgin cable coming into the house which is poking out the wall so I've put a short cable onto it and fed this onto a 2 way splitter. One going into my router, the other into my h2h.

I have another cable nearby it in my current room which is wired through the wall and in to the room next door which goes in to another virgin branded box on the wall. I should say that I previously used this route before moving main rooms, so I know it works.

MY question is, if I want to set up a second h2h in there, where should I split my signal. Should I put a new 2 way splitter before the current 2 way splitter. Or should I replace my current 2 way with a 3 way?

Current:
Wall>cable> 2 way splitter > h2h///cable to router

Future:
Wall>cable> 2 way splitter > cable to new room///cable into current 2 way > cable to h2h///cable to router

Wall>cable> 3 way splitter > cable to new room///cable to h2h///cable to router

Hello all,

I've currently got the current set up:

Virgin cable coming into the house which is poking out the wall so I've put a short cable onto it and fed this onto a 2 way splitter. One going into my router, the other into my h2h.

I have another cable nearby it in my current room which is wired through the wall and in to the room next door which goes in to another virgin branded box on the wall. I should say that I previously used this route before moving main rooms, so I know it works.

MY question is, if I want to set up a second h2h in there, where should I split my signal. Should I put a new 2 way splitter before the current 2 way splitter. Or should I replace my current 2 way with a 3 way?

Current:
Wall>cable> 2 way splitter > h2h///cable to router

Future:
Wall>cable> 2 way splitter > cable to new room///cable into current 2 way > cable to h2h///cable to router

Wall>cable> 3 way splitter > cable to new room///cable to h2h///cable to router

Wall>cable> 3 way splitter > cable to new room///cable to h2h///cable to router if possible

Reactions: JLC
Cool.

Looking at a triple technetix one on ebay.

Just need to get another f-plug cable and an f-plug to rf for the back of the box. Am I best off doing this separate with an adapter or buying one which already has the connections on each end? Seems to be less choice of those.

As a follow up, just put a new box into second room with the above mentioned setup of cabling. My box and router working fine. But in the second room I get no channels found. I've setup the ABM and providers right, line is on, internet is connected.

I just unplugged the cable from the wall with the spiltter etc. I reconnected it straight from wall into the box that wasn't working and now it is finding channels on the scan.

Dunno where to go from here other than buy a new cable between the line coming from the splitter to the long cable which leads to the previously not working box now since everything else was working?

Yeah paramount when using good quality cable with preferably snap seal connectors on and definatly a good quality splitter aswell shouldnt be too hard to find these things on fleabay etc :(y): and has @garyth said splitter directly onto incoming line then one feed to router and other 2 to the boxes if possible is always the best option even if a cable has to be routed on an outside wall dependant on layout of property of course;)

Splitter is labelled as 'TECHNETIX 3-WAY 5-1000MHZ SPLITTER'
Maybe a new cable then.

If you have good broadband speeds, I’d recommend using the remote channel stream converter plugin, depends whether you will be using both boxes at the same time as it uses the feed from your 1st box and streams to your 2nd box. Works well with my setup, but I know I’ll never have all my tuners being used at once.

I've just moved my equipment around to have the following:

Straight from wall into the 3 way splitter.
Then I have 1st virgin cable into router, 2nd virgin cable into zgemma 1, cable to other room virgin box on wall > virgin cable into zgemma 2.

SO at this point all the cables are modern cables supplied by virgin in the last six months. The router and zgemma 1 are working fine again.

Zgemma 2 has no signal still. Must be the splitter but I'm pretty sure I went through a link someone had suggested on these forums to one on ebay that was £10. Worth me putting a picture or link up?

I've just moved my equipment around to have the following:

Straight from wall into the 3 way splitter.
Then I have 1st virgin cable into router, 2nd virgin cable into zgemma 1, cable to other room virgin box on wall > virgin cable into zgemma 2.

SO at this point all the cables are modern cables supplied by virgin in the last six months. The router and zgemma 1 are working fine again.

Zgemma 2 has no signal still. Must be the splitter but I'm pretty sure I went through a link someone had suggested on these forums to one on ebay that was £10. Worth me putting a picture or link up?

What about if you swap the cable for zgemma 2 into the port that zgemma 1 is using on the splitter? See if you get a signal then, that’d tell you if it’s the splitter

Yup, soon as I swapped those two around zgemma 1 had no signal and zgemma 2 got signal.

So it is the output labelled 6.5db which isn't working. The 6.1 into router and 6.1 into zgemma 2 are up.

Yup, soon as I swapped those two around zgemma 1 had no signal and zgemma 2 got signal.

So it is the output labelled 6.5db which isn't working. The 6.1 into router and 6.1 into zgemma 2 are up.

Get yourself to your local screwfix, the sell good lab gear splitters

I've sent a message to the seller of the splitter.

Seems pretty odd that the one with 6.5db output is completely dead. I tried the two cable boxes on the 6.1 outputs last night and both had signal. When I fed the 6.5 into the router it went dead and lost connection.

Last edited:
As an update, seller sent me out another splitter today and all the outputs worked this time so happily have my two boxes up and running. Many thanks to everyone with their help and assistance!

Back