Update Crashes H2H openATV 5.3 - Could use a little help please

Hi there, super exerience to date with H2H box with provider supplier openATV installed.

Did an update end of November which worked a treat (47 updates applied)

Did same again yesterday (57 updates available) and it bombed out and said 'restarting in 10 seconds'....it never restarted.

Powered off & on and came back red LED and BOOT...then froze.

I've managed to get everything up & working with help but what did I do wrong?

Is there a problem updating the 5.3 version? .... any alternative ways to update without damaging the build? Bit out of my newbie depth ... would appreciate any help to get the box updated successfully.

Cheers

There was an issue with opkg that can't be fixed via ota updates so needs to be flashed via a newer image so if you reflashed a nightly version you should be fine

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

ive had the same issue not sure what to do next as I'm new to this stuff,ive read on here that I need to flash it but could do with some advice.Thanks in advance

Same here....that much I managed. You need to download the build (think it's called) ..... expand it on a laptop and install to a clean USB.

Then power off the box

Stuff the USB stick with the build for Zegmma in the rear of the box and power back up .... it applied the flash straight away and takes very little time

Depending on how you bought the box, your seller might give you the build or I would imagine there will access to ones like openATV on this site from folks a lot more knowledgeable than me.

Works very well in fact...not so complicated.
I'm led to believe that this update problem is quite common. Is why I've posted and asked how to do proper backups just as well :)

Thanks for the advice dsayers2014.

Understand your point but not how to do it.

What I did was go to system, and ran updates. I don't know how you get newer images. Is there a link or a location they can be obtained from? Apologies is all new stuff for me although learning quick.

My version was supplied by seller. They do not ordinarily offer support. The non-updated version was working a treat in fairness.

Could use a bit of advice on how to go about that...as risk free as possible but I have a back up and understand how to apply it if things go wrong.

Appreciate you taking the time

You can try a backup from the sticky section they both work fine with ota updates or download one from zgemma.tv but they are standard clean images that needs setting up from scratch.

Ask who provided you the newer backup if they used a fresh image that's not older than 2 months if they did then ota updates should be fine.

Another thing to think if its not broken why do ota updates?

Hi again, is a solid point you....it was working fine and honestly speaking I'm not sure what exactly what was being updated (except there were 57 of them) ....I'm a windows type of bloke (yes ok stop laughing at the back) so tend to do updates all the time out of habit.

What exactly is that that gets updated? And surely at some point they would need doing?

Would it be better to update each peice one by one? Avoid / identify issues? But as you say it was working fine.

Sorry when you say backup from sticky section...what's that please? .... bear with I'm getting this stuff slowly :)

---------- Post Merged at 01:22 PM ----------

It wasn't too bad....I'm sure you will be ok. I'm entirely new to this world of stuff as well but it's starting to sink in....folks on this site seem very knowledgeable and helpful.

when you choose software update you will get a list of what will be updated there normally small bug fixes but nothing major.

Back