Updating a forced flash USB ?

Bigrussuk

Hi all

Can I ask

I have created a forced flash USB

I have updated the backup today

is the 'zgemma' flash folder updated automatically?

(I'm presuming so, as I have backed up today, and the date of the 'zgemma' folder has changed to today's date)

or do you have to update that manually for auto flashing? also when you do a new back up is the 'force' setting saved or do you have to change that every time?

Thanks again

Russ

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm thinking the zgemma folder maybe like a generic boot disc, that just starts the system and then the process continues with the latest backup?

Question answered on another thread, thanks wooshman.....

yes, the zgemma folder will be updated automatically, and if you have renamed noforce to force, a new noforce file will be created too. Not sure what happens if you leave both on a usb stick and try to flash.[/QUOTE]

Fantastic! Thanks for taking the time to answer [emoji106]

'Not sure what happens if you leave both on a usb stick and try to flash.'....'

So just so I have it totally straight .... For me now the normal process would be >Image back up to existing USB ...the zgemma folder will be updated automatically>delete the 'fullbackimage'_zgemmah2s' leaving on the USB just the zgemma folder and the backupstick.txt ?

Thanks again

Russ[/QUOTE]

Spot on !
(y)[/QUOTE]

i would not have 2 on a stick,its like an image only use one as box cannot choose what to load only the info on stick.

Just to be 100% sure I have given you the right info:

You have created a complete backup and copied the zgemma folder to a usb stick.

You have since done a new complete backup. Did you then put the new zgemma folder onto the USB stick overwriting the files already on it?

If you did the above the zgemma folder is up to date.

Just to be 100% sure I have given you the right info:

You have created a complete backup and copied the zgemma folder to a usb stick.

You have since done a new complete backup. Did you then put the new zgemma folder onto the USB stick overwriting the files already on it?

If you did the above the zgemma folder is up to date.

No that was my initial question.....I created the image backup on the USB stick.....then took the stick out and put it in my comp and looked in file explorer....there was the new image file and the zgemma folder, I haven't done anything with the new image file, but the date of the zgemma folder was today's date....that's what lead me to ask if it updated automatically?

Right OK

If you put that stick back in the box and do another complete backup to USB as before, the zgemma folder and contents on the stick will be updated in the process. You will have a second folder in the the backup folder though.

The folder named backup is for use if you want to do a "flash online / local". You can then choose which backup to use.

Blue button -> Flash online / local -> Yellow button (local) -> Yellow button (devices)

Now locate your USB stick and the back folder with the different backup. You will need to navigate to the sh1 folder and then the green button to flash.

Last edited:
I will back up to my hdd as the main backup, the USB is just for a 'get out of jail' if the system won't boot.

So again... My process is >back up to USB .... 'Zgemma' folder updates> delete new back up folder >change no force to force again>done?

I think the main question my inexperience is asking do I have to do anything with the new image back up other than download it to the existing flash USB,

sorry but one time you say it will just overwrite.... Then you ask if I'd put the new zgemma folder on to the USB stick overwriting the old one?

To try and clarify...

Ok I have a working forced flashing backup on a USB stick.....this stick needs updating with a new backup...what is the process of updating this?

I really didn't think this would be so hard lol

I do appreciate your time, I'm sure it must be me

lol it isn't hard just the way I answered.

OK, so your working forced backup USB stick has a folder called zgemma on it. You deleted the fullbackup folder I think you said.

So, when you put this USB stick back in the box and do a "Complete Backup" it will overwrite the existing files in the zgemma folder. What it won't replace is the force file but instead will put a new noforce file there. Just delete this file.

It will also add another full backup folder. The full backup folders increase with date and time, but give you the option of flashing to difference times if you ever need to. If not, delete it.

Back