usb3 hard drive problems

I now have 3 zgemma boxes 2 with old USB 2 hard drives 1 with a WD usb3 when using time shift the usb3 HD looses audio and is really slow to respond with the blue timer spinning in the corner I have tried this in all 3 zgemma and all the same I borrowed another usb3 HD to test unfortunately this was also a WD but same again so is there a problem with usb3 hard drives ???

Shouldn't be. Are they usb powered as this could be the issue (guessing). Thinking theusb 3 is pulling too much power for port to cope?
I just got cit usb 3 enclosure for another samsung 500gb which I'll try and test tomorrow night. Have to rip the skybox apart to get out first. lol pain.
For someone else eventually tho so I'll only have 1 night with it

Last edited:
OK thanks I really don't know what it is while they are plugged in even the menu:s are slower with the blue timer spinning all the time like the box is constantly precessing something

this is the test i have been using to differentiate between usb2 and 3 i have set 1 channel recording and then swapped to a different channel using pause rewind etc on the usb 2 devices this is done with no problem at all but with the usb3 devices this is jumpy not responding and blue circle showing in the left corner all the time even when i then cancel the time shift accessing menus is then slow with the timer showing.

This is going to sound weird. But tried just initialising and swapfile then reboot? Which should set to ext4 without needing to manually? Just clutching at straws lol

Last edited:
This is going to sound weird. But tried just initialising and swapfile then reboot? Which should set to ext4 without needing to manually? Just clutching at straws lol
OK i'll try anything have you been able to try usb2 vs usb3?
Could it be the make of the HD'S?

This should sort the issue, I always, init, create and activate swap file, then reboot gui. Then save EPG to HDD.

OK. Just tested. With USB 2 cit enclosure i can record 3 HD at once. No issues.
With cit usb 3 i can only record 2. When 3rd starts 2 will glitch/pixilate in playback.
When recording HD and timesgifting HD i just skipped forward and box crashed.

So looks like for some reason USB 3 (in our small test with hdd) sucks.
Both my usb3 and usb2 are cit with seagate 500gb from slyhd Boxs. Strange one that. Its obviously not a drive limitation. I think.
Both types are externally powered.

If i had more time I'd swap the 2 drives around but unfortunately theres a bottle of red with my name on it and a smoke :)

---------- Post Merged at 10:14 PM ----------

P.s i use usb3 usbs for all boxs done for others. Next time I'll test them and see if same issue. Although i think i remember being able to record 2 and watch recording at same time on them. But dodgy memory :)

Edit.

Ok so managed to make the usb2 500gb crash too when i tried hard enough :)
Was recording bbc1hd, utvhd and bbc4hd and timeshifting bbc4hd jumped forward and back fine but when i hit stop i managed to make it sht itself lol

But watched the 3 recordings back and all fine :)

Last edited:
Back