Virgin broadband only

Irenec

Hi there,

My Grandson is looking to get a H2H box in his room, his parents have Sky tv and Virgin broadband downstairs, question is would the box work with only broadband using a homeplug, he has no direct access to the Virgin hub downstairs.

Thanks

Irene

Hi, I've been thinking, the router is downstairs and his box will be upstairs, does this mean a cable would have to be ran from the router all the way upstairs to his box ??
Thanks

Irene

:grimacing: Oh no !!!

How about using fallback from the receiver downstairs? Don't know if it will work on homeplugs but I have a box working with just an ethernet cable connected.
Good point, but if your running 1 cable in you might as well run two in. Plus there is no issues running out of tuners especially if your watching and recording downstairs.
I've tested most ways but always resort to hard wiring everytime.

I just wondered if it would work from homeplugs without running any wiring?
I've never used them so don't know. I've got ethernet running to all my boxes.

Yeah mines runs on homeplugs and fine for a bedroom. I've cable and sat. Vixs new channel importer plugin quite handy for it too.

So as you can see there's a few options available, just bear in mind if your streaming say a cable channel from downstairs to upstairs then you will not be able to veiw any cable channels downstairs, you would need to veiw a satellite Channel provided you have your sat tuner set up.
Like I said earlier, best results would be hard wire both recievers.

Thanks everyone for all your help, I don't think I explained myself very well, no change there then !! downstairs they have a sky box not a Zgemma, they have Virgin broadband and there are no cables in the upstairs room, I don't think he'll be getting the box, my daughter does not want cables running up the stairs and that seems to be the only way to go.

Thanks

Irene

One way would be a professional installation where the cables could be hidden or placed outside then feed into the rooms.

There will need to be a virgin wire going into the box - the best way so it's hidden as mentioned would be to split the cable before it enters the house then run it up to bedroom - you could also put the virgin router in the bedroom so a small ethernet can go from the router into the zgemma - i'd say the cost of doing this if you know someone who's handy with a drill would be no more than £10-£15 for cable, wall clips and f connectors and splitters.

Thanks I'll put that to her but she really doesn't want to spend much.
Thanks again for the advice

Why no ring VM and tell them you want another cable putting into the bedroom so you can move the router higher to give a better signal [emoji1360]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks everyone for your assistance, daughter has decided to leave this while she studies the options.

Thanks again

Irene

Back