tech1200

Hi,

Got a new Superhub and my IP has changed from:

81.***.***.***
cpc*****-clyd5-2-0-cust****.14-1.cable.virginm.net

to

81.**.***.***
cpc******-clyd5-2-0-cust***.know.cable.virginm.net

Can anyone shed any light on how virgin IP addresses are set up? (I have masked the numbers for obvious resasons).

I am more curious about the 'KNOW' part of the reverse lookup.

Cheers

Virgin ip addresses are static, now and then ip addresses will change on virgin but this is rare.

However if you recieve a new modem/router then your ip will change///serial number and mac address will be different to your old hub so nothing surprising here for your external ip to change.

Anyway i would,nt be worried about (know) doubt that will mean anything

Why what are you upto haha..

Btw there is no need to post this query on 2 seperate locations/threads like you have done.

Last edited:
If it is Knowsley, why is my internet connection being routed through that data centre and not my local one as previously? What do virgin do at Knowsley?

Thanks

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

youll know from the papers glasgow has had a blackout on network issues on broadband, Will be rerouting traffic to sort out the problems

My IP relates to London, always has, and I'm in the NW,
I think its only variable IPs that actually relate to the area you are in.

youll know from the papers glasgow has had a blackout on network issues on broadband, Will be rerouting traffic to sort out the problems
No, I noticed a change in IP address weeks before the blackout Glasgow was having.

My IP relates to London, always has, and I'm in the NW,
I think its only variable IPs that actually relate to the area you are in.
What do you mean variable IPs, like dynamic IP addresses? I made no change to my broadband package, only had a new superhub fitted.

What do you mean variable IPs, like dynamic IP addresses? I made no change to my broadband package, only had a new superhub fitted.

Yes, if you have a fixed IP, which you generally pay more for, then your IP seldom bears any relevance to your actual location,
If your IP is dynamic, like most people, and its free, then it could be any area at all really, but its usually somewhere close to your location, your router just uses the first available IP it receives.

I understand but I have a dynamic ip and find it strange my ip is routed through a data centre 250 miles away, there must be 50 virgin hubs nearer than Knowsley.

I understand but I have a dynamic ip and find it strange my ip is routed through a data centre 250 miles away, there must be 50 virgin hubs nearer than Knowsley.

Vm don't offer dynamic nomore they are all static

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

I assume it depends which is available and best suited to accomodate a large volume of users at fairly short notice, Glasgow's customers probably got spread around the uk fairly evenly

How are isp providers allocated their ip addresses? There has to be a central point that says to EG: virgin these are your IP address ranges. BT would then have a different range.
Do isp providers request how many they require?

Back