Virmin Router and Cable box in Different rooms

leejon123

hi, guys, your help would be most helpful to get me going.I have just got myself a MUTANT HD51 CABLE BOX.my virmin router is located upstairs in my bedroom but my Cable box is downstairs could you please explain how I get them connected?would I just put 1 TP LINK into the Router and the other into the Box? to get a connection,regards Lee

Ideally you would want to run a long Ethernet cable between your router and your HD51. Doing it this way will pretty much ensure you have a rock solid connection.

When you say TP Link, are you referring to the TP link power-line adapters?

Definitely hard wire it, gives a much better performance.

Cables can be up to 100 metres long
if I hard wired it I would have to have a cable from my bedroom running across the landing and downstairs,the TP Links work fine on my Zgemma sat box,would Virmin relocate my router?

Ideally you would want to run a long Ethernet cable between your router and your HD51. Doing it this way will pretty much ensure you have a rock solid connection.

When you say TP Link, are you referring to the TP link power-line adapters?
yes m8 the TP LINK Power adaptors which I currently have set up for my Zgemma H2S They work fine

if I hard wired it I would have to have a cable from my bedroom running across the landing and downstairs,the TP Links work fine on my Zgemma sat box,would Virmin relocate my router?
If that's the only way, that's fine.

Hard wire is always the best option.

I agree, if the power-lines are only option and it works already, go for it!

It's definitely worth asking VM to move your router but In theory, you could probably do it yourself!

You should already have the cable coming in to the front of your house which plugs in to your current cable box. You could split that cable using a 3 way splitter. One cable to the router, one to your original cable box and one to your HD51.

All the info needed to run your router and cable box is sent down the same line so it should work!

Obviously you would have to buy the cables and splitter needed, but its easy to do ;-)

Bit of a faff for you but at least you will get a hard line to the router if you find you have any issues with the power-line adapters.

Your Tp link plugs will work just as well as hard wired. I have 3 sets running from one end of my property to the other. No need for a super long Ethernet cable. Ideally if the router was closer it would be my first choice but as long as your leccy circuit is tip top then you'll not see any difference in box performance

Your Tp link plugs will work just as well as hard wired. I have 3 sets running from one end of my property to the other. No need for a super long Ethernet cable. Ideally if the router was closer it would be my first choice but as long as your leccy circuit is tip top then you'll not see any difference in box performance
Thanks for reassuring me m8.does TP Link go into my cable box and the other into the router?just like they are for my Zgemma box

Ethernet cable direct from router to cable receiver is the best option.
If you end up connecting to a poor server they will blame the home plugs.
A direct wire is a sure way of confirming a good test result with servers.

Give VM a call to see what they will charge you to move the router for you if you don't think your up to doing it yourself pal, you could always say its for gaming purposes.;)

thats exactly what I did when they did the install for me, told them I game & may want the router near my PC upstairs so they performed the install downstairs then using a splitter inside their supply point (brown box) ran cables round my property & installed a 2nd access point upstairs so now IF I wish to move the router from upstairs to down & visa versa I can :)

You are lucky as I rang them up to get a router moved from third floor to second floor of my mums house they wanted £99 for it. Did it myself in the end

If I had asked for duel install Im sure it would have cost me but I just told the guys when they came what I wanted & made them a cuppa tea :)

If your not using other tuner on box for recording I know on Vix if your connected to Internet you can watch on other box without any cables as connects via router

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If your not using other tuner on box for recording I know on Vix if your connected to Internet you can watch on other box without any cables as connects via router

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You will need to move your router downstairs either way because for a cable box, you need a VM cable feed going into it - not just an ethernet cable.

I mean obviously you could split it at the brown box outside and put an extra terminal downstairs yourself if you wanted to which is easy enough to do.

thats exactly what I did when they did the install for me, told them I game & may want the router near my PC upstairs so they performed the install downstairs then using a splitter inside their supply point (brown box) ran cables round my property & installed a 2nd access point upstairs so now IF I wish to move the router from upstairs to down & visa versa I can :)
my situation is different i need my router upstairs i work from home and have a very complex phone system that requires Ethernet cable connected into the back of my phone system so the only way for me would be to use TP LINKS which are working 100% and have been fr the last 3 years without any problems

Back