Virmin Router and Cable box in Different rooms

You will need to move your router downstairs either way because for a cable box, you need a VM cable feed going into it - not just an ethernet cable.

I mean obviously you could split it at the brown box outside and put an extra terminal downstairs yourself if you wanted to which is easy enough to do.[/QUOTEuavrot v
Yep exactly the same and if you do have any issues a reboot of both router and cable box will sort that out
Hello Gary im gettting confused
Your Tp link plugs will work just as well as hard wired. I have 3 sets running from one end of my property to the other. No need for a super long Ethernet cable. Ideally if the router was closer it would be my first choice but as long as your leccy circuit is tip top then you'll not see any difference in box performance
hello Gary im getting confused Ste who commented further down the post said -
You will need to move your router downstairs either way because for a cable box, you need a VM cable feed going into it - not just an ethernet cable.
I mean obviously you could split it at the brown box outside and put an extra terminal downstairs yourself if you wanted to which is easy enough to do.

my situation is different i need my router upstairs i work from home and have a very complex phone system that requires Ethernet cable connected into the back of my phone system so the only way for me would be to use TP LINKS which are working 100% and have been fr the last 3 years without any problems

But do you have a VM connection downstairs where your cable box would be going? if so then great, you just need to run a wire from this to the cable box and connect up the TP links but if not, you will need to split the cable feed in the brown box outside your home and run another cable into the living room and terminate it.

Image.jpg Image.jpg hi these are the 2 boxes the first pic is upstairs the connection leading into my router curerently for my Zgemma H2S the second pic is downstairs behind my TV are these the 2 boxes i need to set up a cable box?

Yes, as long as the VM engineer didn't disconnect the wire going to the downstairs one to feed the upstairs one, it will be good to go.

A quick look outside to the brown cable box would confirm that there is a 2 way splitter in there, so all you would need is a cable from the box behind your TV to the new box, and your tp links, and away you go...???

Only one pic is VM equipment... eeek!

you have a VM access point in one pic & a Telewest in the other....the Telewest could be an old install & is not VM equipment, you need to have another look outside at the VM supply point, remove cover to see IF they have used a splitter & drilled through the wall? IF they have you should have a VM access point on the inside wall, if not you may have a problem....TP links are fine for using internet encription but how do you get your signal (pictures) to your box? (you may need to do a little DIY...add splitter inside supply point with a feed passed through your wall so you can connect to box)

Last edited:
Only one pic is VM equipment... eeek!

you have a VM access point in one pic & a Telewest in the other....the Telewest could be an old install & is not VM equipment, you need to have another look outside at the VM supply point, remove cover to see IF they have used a splitter & drilled through the wall? IF they have you should have a VM access point on the inside wall, if not you may have a problem....TP links are fine for using internet encription but how do you get your signal (pictures) to your box? (you may need to do a little DIY...add splitter inside supply point with a feed passed through your wall so you can connect to box)
hi pal quick update after further investigation the box downstairs (telewest box)there is a feed going to that box from the virgin media feed that goes through my box upstairs,i have looked on a few forums and apparently vm will run there connection through a existing telewest box as virgin media took telewest over years ago so it looks like i have option A after all lol,

Yes that's correct as long as you're still using the connection but as you wasn't using the connection downstairs, sometimes the VM engineer will disconnect it in the brown box outside to run it to another location in the house but if you've checked that brown box outside and there's a 2 way adapter in there with one wire going through the wall into the Telewest box and 1 wire leading to your upstairs VM box then you're good to go :)

Yes that's correct as long as you're still using the connection but as you wasn't using the connection downstairs, sometimes the VM engineer will disconnect it in the brown box outside to run it to another location in the house but if you've checked that brown box outside and there's a 2 way adapter in there with one wire going through the wall into the Telewest box and 1 wire leading to your upstairs VM box then you're good to go :)
hi m8 I will need open and check the Telewest box downstairs to see what's inside.I can clearly see the cable running up the wall into my bedroom then if I follow the same cable down on the outside wall it goes into the brown box outside,

hi m8 I will need open and check the Telewest box downstairs to see what's inside.I can clearly see the cable running up the wall into my bedroom then if I follow the same cable down on the outside wall it goes into the brown box outside,

Yes you will need to open the brown box outside and check they haven't just disconnected the feed to the box downstairs and attached another feed to it going to the bedroom upstairs.

Back