VM fttp Vs Vodafone fttp?

userlee5267

TK Veteran
Hello

VM have started digging up my street. Never thought this would happen.

I have already have Vodafone fttp and it's good getting 1.2gbps most days . And it's £36. Ping is around 12 ms

I've looked at VM it seems dearer. But will it be any different.

My lad games a bit and he always moans about high ping rates.

He said VM will be better. Or are they the same

Surely something is different as they use different network

Do you know what they are installing?

• HFC - Coax from cabinet to your home.
  • RFoG - Fibre to the wall box on the outside of your home converted to coax between the wall box and HUB.
  • XGS-PON - Full fat FTTP where a HUB 5x is used that can accept a fibre connection directly.

Do you know what they are installing?

• HFC - Coax from cabinet to your home.
  • RFoG - Fibre to the wall box on the outside of your home converted to coax between the wall box and HUB.
  • XGS-PON - Full fat FTTP where a HUB 5x is used that can accept a fibre connection directly.
Not sure. Can imagine it being full fat fttp. Will see how it goes. I'll ask them if I see them

VM is not symmetric, so the upload will be about a tenth of your download speed.

I can’t comment on the ping as I have never used VM.

What router are you using at the moment?

My lad games a bit and he always moans about high ping rates.
Just tell him to become a better gamer 🤣

If they are installing XGS-PON which is FTTP then it will be symmetrical as it will be the equivalent to the likes of OR or Cityfibre etc it’s only asymmetrical if it’s DOCIS based.

DOCIS technology introduces overheads that can push latency higher and is often inconsistent and can suffer from latency spikes.

Many have complained of this and that’s because high latency can make things feel sluggish even if you have a high speed connection.

Gaming will particularly feel the impact of a higher and inconstant latency connection.

If it’s XGS-PON they are installing go for go it if you get a decent price!

I live in city centre of a major Scottish city. I moved here 8 years ago and at the time the only options were Virgin Media through cable (Max speed = 500mb connection) or any ISP through phone line (max speed = 2mb). Could not believe this was my only options. 8 years later I can now get 75mb through the phone line, but I can get 1Gb through VM. I guess there is little incentive to upgrade a lot of the infrastructure as people have got an option of high speed internet through VM. I feel this gives them a massive monopoly over a major city.

I've been with VM all this time and currently on 1Gb package. Like @cokeaddict I get similar speeds and the connection is solid. I hear some people I'm friends with complain about VM, but for me they have been rock solid for 8 years. I think being city centre helps, as I suspect there is plenty of redundancy built in for their business customers. Even when others complain about outages, my connection is still going strong. I think I can only remember 2, maybe 3, outages that have lasted over an hour. I would love FTTP, but I cannot see this coming anytime soon. I'm a heavy internet user and the 1Gb package from VM does me nicely. I just wish there was better competition to help drive prices down.

I live in city centre of a major Scottish city. I moved here 8 years ago and at the time the only options were Virgin Media through cable (Max speed = 500mb connection) or any ISP through phone line (max speed = 2mb). Could not believe this was my only options. 8 years later I can now get 75mb through the phone line, but I can get 1Gb through VM. I guess there is little incentive to upgrade a lot of the infrastructure as people have got an option of high speed internet through VM. I feel this gives them a massive monopoly over a major city.

I've been with VM all this time and currently on 1Gb package. Like @cokeaddict I get similar speeds and the connection is solid. I hear some people I'm friends with complain about VM, but for me they have been rock solid for 8 years. I think being city centre helps, as I suspect there is plenty of redundancy built in for their business customers. Even when others complain about outages, my connection is still going strong. I think I can only remember 2, maybe 3, outages that have lasted over an hour. I would love FTTP, but I cannot see this coming anytime soon. I'm a heavy internet user and the 1Gb package from VM does me nicely. I just wish there was better competition to help drive prices down.
Hopefully will the phase out of PSTN/DSL etc, you will see some new infrastucture coming sooner rather than later.

Back