VM fttp Vs Vodafone fttp?

VM has a 2gb service now which they are have been trialing for a few months and they use XGS-POM, which is what is being installed in @userlee5267 area
Yes I know, but I don't have XGS-POM (i'm using docsis3.1) or 2gb available in this area yet, hence I know the result from fast.com I posted above, is complete crap :LOL:

I live in city centre of a major Scottish city. I moved here 8 years ago and at the time the only options were Virgin Media through cable (Max speed = 500mb connection) or any ISP through phone line (max speed = 2mb). Could not believe this was my only options. 8 years later I can now get 75mb through the phone line, but I can get 1Gb through VM. I guess there is little incentive to upgrade a lot of the infrastructure as people have got an option of high speed internet through VM. I feel this gives them a massive monopoly over a major city.

I've been with VM all this time and currently on 1Gb package. Like @cokeaddict I get similar speeds and the connection is solid. I hear some people I'm friends with complain about VM, but for me they have been rock solid for 8 years. I think being city centre helps, as I suspect there is plenty of redundancy built in for their business customers. Even when others complain about outages, my connection is still going strong. I think I can only remember 2, maybe 3, outages that have lasted over an hour. I would love FTTP, but I cannot see this coming anytime soon. I'm a heavy internet user and the 1Gb package from VM does me nicely. I just wish there was better competition to help drive prices down.
I have VM but now have the option of City fibre so might give that a try if VM don’t give me better offer.

took me ages the other day with vm they put mine up fron £26 to £41 phoned up and they would only give me £31 even though contract was up so i declined the 18 month contract then went on the virgin media site and after what seemed ages finally got through to someone on live chat and they gave me £25 a month for 18 months

took me ages the other day with vm they put mine up fron £26 to £41 phoned up and they would only give me £31 even though contract was up so i declined the 18 month contract then went on the virgin media site and after what seemed ages finally got through to someone on live chat and they gave me £25 a month for 18 months
I think you are best off cancelling and waiting for retention team to phone you and make you an offer to keep your custom.

Installed. Now gotta wait 8 weeks before they show as available. Still got more than a year left with Vodafone..

I'll see what they offer

This is what I am getting right now with 1gig from VM.

This is using docsis 3.1 (fibre to cabinet, which is about 15m from the house), it's then coax to the property.

If you don’t me asking how do get that speed, as theoretically you will only get around 940mb due to the limitations on a 1gb network adapter.

Back