VM Wall Box (Phone) for TV?

woowoowoo

Bit random but a mate has moved into his new house and has a VM box on the wall but its just for the telephone. There doesnt seem to be any other boxes and the house has a sly dish so presumably they only had the phone with VM.

Question is; is it possible to switch this to a tv box instead? Is the cable the same? Im sure when we got a VM phone installed they didnt run a new wire but I could be wrong.

I know it might still be an inactive line given they have no VM services but thought it might be a cheap rewire to test?

You cannot replace the phone box with a tv box as it's a different type of cable - the cable is usually twin that comes from the cabinet so one is for the phone and the other (thicker one) is for the tv... it's probably got the cable up to the house (in the brown box outside) but not coming into the house. If this is the case which it should be, it would be a matter of running a piece of tv cable into the house and connecting it to one of these > http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DIGITAL-C...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

Your box would then connect to this.

If your mate has never had tv in the property, it may not be connected in the cabinet yet but the only way would be to hook up a box (your box) and see if it works.

Ok just asked them what the outside setup is like and strangely they have a twin style cable coming through the garden but no brown box on the outside, it just goes up the wall and into the house!? Does the brown box not do much or have they done this because they have only run the phonecable ie the second cable is dead (not connected) at both ends otherwise surely it would need terminating properly at a box?

It's very rare that they install without the brown box outside. I think they put the brown box there so if at any point, you decide to go multi-room then it's just a matter of adding a splitter in the brown box and running another wire from it to go into another room.

If the cables are there though, it might still be connected at the cabinet but as said, the only way to check would be to connect a box to it.

hi mate can you connect a tv direct to see any signal ,if yes what should apear on telly ?

I don't know to be honest - I'd imagine that wouldn't work though as a DVB-C (cable) signal comes through the VM wires whereas a tv has a DVB-T/T2 tuner.

If you've had broadband in the property as recently as 4 months ago, it's highly unlikely that it wouldn't work tbh.

Back