VPN Home network/hub

Hi all,

What is the best (and easiest) way to set up a home vpn service that allows all devices (computers, tablets, phones, sly satellite boxes, Android tv boxes etc) to run through it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

First thing is what router you have as it will make a difference to what way you can put a vpn on there. It is best to put it through the router as that will route everything out into the wibbley wobbley web. If the router you have does not play well it is deemed possible to add a second router to the original and then install the VPN on there. Most routers that will allow private VPN need to be DD-WRT or Tomato firmware. Some services will allow multiply VPN on each unit if the router does not allow. Changing DNS can get access to other IP's that your ISP has blocked as well?
hope it helps

Thanks for your reply mrtweaks.

I'm with BT using a BT Home Hub 5. I also have an Ethernet Switch running into it, which allows me to hardwire most devices like the Android box and Satellite box from various Ethernet sockets around the house.

I'd heard that the kind of setup you described maybe required for the home hub 5, just I had no idea where to start.

If I purchased another router as you suggest, would I get the instructions on how to set it all up from the VPN provider?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The HH5 comes in 2 types to confuse us and if it is the one that has the lead from wall straight into it then it makes it more difficult. However if it is the one with the openreach white modem going into the router not so.
One without needs a compatible second router option if you do not want to remove the BT modem router. How to Connect One Router to Another to Expand a Network The one with separate modem does and will need a compatible router with the firmware linked to the modem.
Some of the services do have apps to setup the compatible routers. My only issue is have found some of them quite pricey.
As I said earlier some will allow multi connections from each device but not sure how on the satbox.

Back