vpn

If you get a decent VPN your speeds won't be impacted at all.
There was a good thread in VPNs only a few weeks ago I believe.
I use PIA as do several users on here as it has something ridiculous like 3000 servers worldwide and they keep no logs.
I forgot to say they also have an Android app and I have sideloaded that onto my Amazon Fire stick.

Last edited:
If you get a decent VPN your speeds won't be impacted at all.
There was a good thread in VPNs only a few weeks ago I believe.
I use PIA as do several users on here as it has something ridiculous like 3000 servers worldwide and they keep no logs.
I forgot to say they also have an Android app and I have sideloaded that onto my Amazon Fire stick.
Pia slowed my speeds down when I use it and at that im on 76mbps on ee fasted speed available in my area I suppose it depends what server you connect too on it I could be wrong it took ages to load things up but when I turned it off everything loaded faster

yea im in a rural area so my top speed with sky is 2,5 mbs and thats the maximum,ill give things a trial if they do slow me down ill get shut.cheers guys

With PIA the connect options give you a choice of about 30 countries to connect to and various locations within the countries. I just tried a few till I got one one with zero slowdown. In my case, it was their Southampton server. London for example was shocking.

Pia slowed my speeds down when I use it and at that im on 76mbps on ee fasted speed available in my area I suppose it depends what server you connect too on it I could be wrong it took ages to load things up but when I turned it off everything loaded faster

When you use vpn there are two things that can slow you down, first it is the service (i.e. the vpn provider), and secondly it is your machine that is doing the encryption/decryption processing, may it be set top box, pc, smart phone, tablet, router etc.

I have found that with pia (either London or Southampton server) I do not have any meaningful speed degradation for my internet service (fibre, 50mbps down 10 up). This fact is established using my reasonably modest (intel i3 cpu) laptop - modern pc's generally have far more powerful cpu than pretty much any router/stb etc., and because their cpu typically have integrated fpu dedicated for number crunching, they are amongst the speediest vpn clients. At the other end of the spectrum, I am not aware of any router costing under £100 that can run a proper, secure, vpn protocol that can deliver anywhere close to the above speed.

But then of course you don't need 50 mbps to say watch a movie.

If you suffer significant degradation of speed with vpn, to the extent that you are getting well below 50 mbps down consistently with pia in uk using their uk servers, then imho it is the result of the machine (hardware), or potentially firmware, that you have implemented vpn on.

With PIA the connect options give you a choice of about 30 countries to connect to and various locations within the countries. I just tried a few till I got one one with zero slowdown. In my case, it was their Southampton server. London for example was shocking.
Thats most and probably why then I was always going on London or california so that will explain that then will start and use Southampton thanks

When you use vpn there are two things that can slow you down, first it is the service (i.e. the vpn provider), and secondly it is your machine that is doing the encryption/decryption processing, may it be set top box, pc, smart phone, tablet, router etc.

I have found that with pia (either London or Southampton server) I do not have any meaningful speed degradation for my internet service (fibre, 50mbps down 10 up). This fact is established using my reasonably modest (intel i3 cpu) laptop - modern pc's generally have far more powerful cpu than pretty much any router/stb etc., and because their cpu typically have integrated fpu dedicated for number crunching, they are amongst the speediest vpn clients. At the other end of the spectrum, I am not aware of any router costing under £100 that can run a proper, secure, vpn protocol that can deliver anywhere close to the above speed.

But then of course you don't need 50 mbps to say watch a movie.

If you suffer significant degradation of speed with vpn, to the extent that you are getting well below 50 mbps down consistently with pia in uk using their uk servers, then imho it is the result of the machine (hardware), or potentially firmware, that you have implemented vpn on.
I'm using a Dell 23 inch all in one computer with 4gb ram for pia and kodi in dining room

Back