VU+ boxes, what's best for me?

sacvp99

Hi, I'm looking into buying a VU+ box but I am a complete VU+ newbie. I currently have a Skybox F5 (with CCam/C-Line) which I use along side my regular Sky TV HD box (minimum subscription).

My Sky TV deal is coming to an end and so I'm thinking of cancelling with them and getting a twin tuner PVR that has a similar looking EPG to that of my proper Sky HD box. Can anyone suggest the best box for me and is it possible to use my current CCam/C-Line on a VU+ box?

[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]I've read loads of threads about Vix? Blackhole? and other different flashes and channel lists/bouquets etc and it's all a bit overwhelming when I'm used to my fairly straight forward Skybox F5 receiver.[/FONT]

Couple of things, any box will be hard wired via PoE so doesn't need to be wireless/WiFi compatible.

Thanks.

Based on my own experiences of the same nature (ie. sacking off B5kyB) I purchased a VU+ Solo 2. It is a great box, and I am experimenting lots with different tweaks here and there. Finding a few teething problems, which the fab folk on here are providing some great help with.

It will accept your current sea lion set up with cccam, but it can also run mgcamd foran N line, which is more stable a connection.

I use the Vix image (version 166) and a plugin called AutoBouquetMaker will bring up a similar looking EPG to the one found on a Sky+ box, although there are some differences. Setting things up to record and finding them afterwards is different too.

If you have set up an F5 box then you will know these boxes do require maintenance and up-keep every once in a while, so please bear that in mind.

My friend decided to simply buy a box and then hard wire the two with his broadband with router plugs. He would then set one up to record whilst he watched the other box, which achieves the same thing (although it looks a bit daft to me, but hey, horses for courses). I will say if you decided to go down that route (second box) get a different model, as boxes that use the same remote can cause havoc lol

Back