Washing Machine - Help!

thebesh

TK Supporter
I've got a really old washing machine (NEFF W5340X0GB) and the door handle on it hasn't been good for a long time. My girlfriend isn't the most careful and looks like she broke something on the door handle last night when trying to brute force the door open when the washing machine lock was active. She turned it off and waited and it opened as expected without much effort. Today I see the handle/lock is a bit funny, but it let me put a load of washing on. When it finished I couldn't open the door. The lock wasn't active, but seems like there is part of the handle missing to activate the release mechanism on the latch. I eventually got it opened by breaking the handle and using brute strength with a screwdriver. You will see in the photo that the cable method wasn't working, as there is 2 raised bits around the lock mechanism to stop this.

I've tried googling for door handles or complete doors for this model and they are nowhere to be found. I don't want to replace a washing machine because of something as trivial as this. I'm also not the most handy of guys when it comes to mechanical things, but needs must. Any ideas/suggestions or workarounds that I could try? Any good appliance spare sites that might have what I need?

Thanks

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 38
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 39
Take the door off and take it to a local washing machine repair shop , chances are these parts are used on other washing machines so they’ll have them in stock or will order what you need

Might be worth ringing a couple of local appliance repair guys, give them the make and model and they might save you the bother of searching by telling you that you can't get parts for that machine anymore.

Be aware that it could be the part in the machine that is at fault.
That is controlled electronically to release the door after the wash is completed.
It sounds to me like it's this that has malfunctioned and not released.
Powering off the machine for a while has released it.
Putting a new door on might not be the solution.
Try to close and open the door a few times without setting a programme and see if it operates correctly.
If it does, just do a normal wash but when its completed DON'T try to open the door, power off for ten minutes or so and then try it and the door should open..
If its the electronic release at fault you can replace this easier than replacing the door.

FWIW it looks like you have just broken the plastic cover off the door handle, it should still do what it's supposed to

by time you've done ringing round repair shops and googling for parts for your washer if you drive you could've just gone and bought a new washer brought it home and had it plumbed in and working.

Thanks for all the replies. The problem was the handle was dodgy beforehand. My girlfriend admitted last night that she tried to force it open as soon as it finished a cycle and the door was still locked, by design. The washing machine still functions, it's just the handle that's broken. The machine is so old I can't find a proper spares. I can however open and close the door with the use of a long screwdriver. It's not ideal, but this will be my short term workaround. The washing machine was in the flat when I bought it 6 years ago and god knows how long they had it before me. I think the longer term plan will be to replace it sometime next year

They will have spares for your washing machine on espares, W5340X0GB is the model of your washer and it is listed on espares but there is another number after it that you need like W5340X0GB/01 ,W5340X0GB/23 etc

the same handle will fit Balay, Bosch, Gaggenau, Neff, Siemens so if you can't find it in the search just give them a ring.

Last edited:
The plastic latch on washing machines is liable to break over time - this looks like what has happended to yours. Unfortunately, looking at the Door Surround you now need that as well.
If I was doing a repair, I would be ordering a Door Inner, Door outer and Latch.

@Scufferoo has suggest a good idea !

Back