What is a 'traditional' English Breakfast ?

If a landlord advertises a 'pint' of beer for say £2 outside a pub he is making a statement of what he is selling to get customers inside. If his pint turns out to be less than a pint he can be fined heavily. He has mis sold his product. If a proprietor states 'traditional' customers would expect it to be historically authentic. Hash browns cannot be described as historically authentic and part of a 'traditional English breakfast.' :unsure:

Not that I am jealous in the slightest. :rage:

Attachments

• 20200307_152954.jpg
    20200307_152954.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 7
If a landlord advertises a 'pint' of beer for say £2 outside a pub he is making a statement of what he is selling to get customers inside. If his pint turns out to be less than a pint he can be fined heavily. He has mis sold his product. If a proprietor states 'traditional' customers would expect it to be historically authentic. Hash browns cannot be described as historically authentic and part of a 'traditional English breakfast.' :unsure:

If an English cafe sells a breakfast for a number of years with hash browns included, after a length of time it becomes a traditional part of the English breakfast in that cafe surely?

If an English cafe sells a breakfast for a number of years with hash browns included, after a length of time it becomes a traditional part of the English breakfast in that cafe surely?
Well I suppose if a landlord has sold short pints in his pub over a length of time he would also claim it is traditional?

It's an extra topping so more for your money and if you don't want it ask to swap for something else. Selling a pint that hasn't got the same quantity is slightly different the same if something was missing on the breakfast.

Well I suppose if a landlord has sold short pints in his pub over a length of time he would also claim it is traditional?

A pint is a pre-defined measure of volume, whereas a full English is a collection of different food stuffs to make up a meal. I'd say they're incomparable.

It's an extra topping so more for your money and if you don't want it ask to swap for something else. Selling a pint that hasn't got the same quantity is slightly different the same if something was missing on the breakfast.
Agreed. But if I sold a traditional English Breakfast for £6.50 and I sold you hash browns beans tomatoes and toast only you could not complain if I said well I've been selling them like that for years with no bacon sausage or eggs so they are traditional.

A pint is a pre-defined measure of volume, whereas a full English is a collection of different food stuffs to make up a meal. I'd say they're incomparable.
An American pint is smaller than a British pint:
A British ("imperial") pint of 20 imperial fluid ounces (568 ml) is bigger than an American pint of 16 US fluid ounces (473 ml). So how big is a pint?

Agreed. But if I sold a traditional English Breakfast for £6.50 and I sold you hash browns beans tomatoes and toast only you could not complain if I said well I've been selling them like that for years with no bacon sausage or eggs so they are traditional.

I think it's commonly accepted that sausage, bacon and eggs are key components of the full English. Imo you can't call it one without them.

An American pint is smaller than a British pint:
A British ("imperial") pint of 20 imperial fluid ounces (568 ml) is bigger than an American pint of 16 US fluid ounces (473 ml). So how big is a pint?

If you're in the UK it comes under the weights and measures act.

I used to travel to Ireland and have the variant 'Full Irish' which would pretty much be the Full English but served with 'White Pudding' not 'Black' and also served with 'Bubble & Squeak' and some sort of 'Potato Pancake' I forget the real name.

Breakfast is breakfast - the only thing 'traditional' is how you choose to have yours.

Last edited:
Wonder if I could have scrambled egg on toast without the egg:unsure::unsure::unsure: cause I know you can have a English breakfast without hash browns Black pudding or with I will ask next time I go lmfao

Wonder if I could have scrambled egg on toast without the egg:unsure::unsure::unsure: cause I know you can have a English breakfast without hash browns Black pudding or with I will ask next time I go lmfao
whole wheat, bread, no butter.

Exactly - and if a hash brown is put on a full English every day for ten years, then it is eventually a long established part of it and has earned it's "traditional" status just as every other part of the meal has.
A full English can be anything you want it to be. A traditional full English is not the same.

1583601209350.png

Back