What should I buy?

Dylan1867

Hi all,

I am looking to get a box to stream IPTV on, preferably the box will have a Sly or VM skin however that is not essential. What is essential is that I can record TV channels where I will buy an external HDD. I have been looking at Zgemma for this however I dont know if this will be best for me. I have a budget of £100 or less fpr the box alone. Does anyone have any suggestions of what box I should get? If anyone needs any more information please ask and I will try to respond ASAP.

Thanks, Dylan.

I wouldn’t set your heart on recording
Not many does it work out great for

Have a search of the forum plenty have asked the same question

Hi all,

I am looking to get a box to stream IPTV on, preferably the box will have a Sly or VM skin however that is not essential. What is essential is that I can record TV channels where I will buy an external HDD. I have been looking at Zgemma for this however I dont know if this will be best for me. I have a budget of £100 or less fpr the box alone. Does anyone have any suggestions of what box I should get? If anyone needs any more information please ask and I will try to respond ASAP.

Thanks, Dylan.
my opinion is buy mag or a Formuler z7+ I have the 2 box

zgemma i55, you can get sly, virgin and freesat skins.
It is possible to record but it's temperamental

Costs £55 and is fast and reliable

Previously owning a zgemma 2s I can agree that the recording using iptv is not fantastic, when CS was the in thing the zgemma was great for recording but after the transition things didn't go as smoothly. I am now using a formuler z7+ which doesn't seem to have a issue recording on to usb or SD, has a nice built in mag style app out of the box also. But no Sly or vermin skin if the skin is the deal breaker go with the i55 if it's the recording I would certainly consider the formuler.

it depends on what you want to record, if you have a sat feed then get a zgemma or something so you can get freesat channels which you can easily record, IPTV you can, in my experience, record if you are not watching another IPTV feed and it needs to have a good epg source if you want to set a timer for the record, otherwise you need to set it all manually.

Sat and cable are totally different from iptv
One stop or hitch in the stream it will cut the recording

Hi all,
Thanks for your responses. I will be cancelling my sky service. That means that I can’t get freesat channels on a zgemma right? I am looking to record on the iptv however it seems a grey area after some research.

Without wanting to pry, what is it that you would be recording?

I don't really record anything any more as everything is available on demand and my IPTV provider offers 2/3 day catch up on sports channels.

I'm not saying don't look into recording, but there might be other options that would be equally as good.

I am looking to get a box to stream IPTV on, preferably the box will have a Sly or VM skin however that is not essential. What is essential is that I can record TV channels
anthing Enimga2 as you have the skins, very little need to record these days now that most IPTV providers offer a catchup service (X days content instant play), as an added bonus enigma2 can run E2i Player (a free app that works similar to Kodi only easier to use giving access to movies, series & more).

I thought freesat stuff was FTV, not FTA ?
No, freesat is exactly that, free satellite TV (and radio) channels.
I don't have any sub in one of my boxes, its purely freesat, and I use it to stream paid for content from my other box when required.

If you go with a budget sat box with tuners like a zgemma h.2s you can have the best of world's really. Coax in for your Freeview, FTA, FTV with recordings etc and IPTV with catch up and VOD all with a nice Sly or vm skin. There are a lot of options when it comes to choosing the right box :confused:

Probably a zgemma H5.2s or a h9s,are good for the money. Use wooshbuild or stock open atv image and suls plugin is probably the best setup I have used.

Without wanting to pry, what is it that you would be recording?

I don't really record anything any more as everything is available on demand and my IPTV provider offers 2/3 day catch up on sports channels.

I'm not saying don't look into recording, but there might be other options that would be equally as good.
The things I would like to record are soaps, game shows, things like that really. Most if not all are ok freesat and it seems you don’t need a sky sub to watch these shows. So would a zgemma box have the capabilities to record freesat? And then I won’t need to record iptv. Which will be the best way for everything to work if so.

Zgemma h2s are not bad value for money and decent for recording from a sat feed and easyish iptv. But that's only my opinion ;)

The things I would like to record are soaps, game shows, things like that really. Most if not all are ok freesat and it seems you don’t need a sky sub to watch these shows. So would a zgemma box have the capabilities to record freesat? And then I won’t need to record iptv. Which will be the best way for everything to work if so.
you are correct, you would not need a sub for freesat and would be able to record anything that is on freesat, a zgemma would indeed let you do that, something like the h2s which has twin sat tuners or even the H7S, again has twin tuners but is a more expensive box.

I know many people that had a H2S and use it that way.

Last edited:
even if you miss your soaps/series you can find them on the catchup service or via the E2iPlayer plugin
(E2iPlayer is updated daily & has most if not all series/episodes plus a search bar to help find what your after).

E2iPlayer is a free plugin that can be used with Enigma2 boxes, it scraps the net for links just like Kodi, very handy for catching up on anything you may have missed or havnt seen in years as it can find just about anything & you have the ability to watch/stream or download.

Last edited:
Back