Which box is suitable for me?

arren

Hi Guys,

I am looking to invest in a new box and was hoping to get some advice. I am currently subscribed Sky, as well as owning a SkyBox F5s. I use the F5s to watch the Champions League, Premier League and UFC on BT Sport and the odd PPV on Sky Box Office and use Sky for everything else. However, I bought my F5s around two years ago, and having a look around now, it seems that satellite tv has moved on significantly since. I am looking to spend around £150 as a replacement for the F5s, or potentially more if the box was capable of replacing my Sky subscription. Ideally, the box would be capable of recording programmes, and require as little updating as possible, although I do not mind the odd bit of DIY. The F5s needs an update every fortnight or so which is a manual process, is there a box of the market which could potentially update itself when needs be? Any recommendations or advice is much appreciated!

Cheers

i use z gemma 2s with usb plugged in back can watch one channel while record another 80 quid just for box and it update its self tv guide wise and 1 week tv guide and looks like sky vu+solo there more but can update image online while zgemma usb u dont update image often unless u feel like a change

Do you have to update channel lists manually in either of those boxes as that is one of the main grievances I have with the F5s? I have read up and heard a lot more about the Zgemma, and I believe there is a new box coming out in the near future? Is it worth holding fire for that box, will it offer anything extra to the others and will it be in my price range? Thanks in advance

Golden Interstar Xpeed LX2 pre flashed with Vix image, £110 from world of sat.

Twin tuner, so you can record to a USB HDD.

Auto updates channel lists and EPG every night. Good EPG.

You can put "skins" over the EPG to make it look like the sky EPG.

Supported officially by Vix, which is a big plus (Zgemma isn't)

Image updates downloaded direct to the box over the net.

2 yr Warranty.

I would pay the extra over the Zgemma, but it's up to you.

You get what you pay for with sat boxes. (y)

Had a quick look on the world of sat website and I've read that the box comes with a 2pin to 3pin adapter, which suggests it was not originally made for use in the UK? Will this have any negative side effects? Also, does this box come with a 'gift' or does it in fact need a gift? Could you please clarify what 'Vix' is (I am new to this), and what the benefits of being supported by it is? As far as I am aware and from what I have read, the only difference between the Zgemma and the box you have suggested is that yours is supported by Vix and comes with a guarantee?

Vix is a image bit like a computer , xp windows 7 ,8 The zgemma is not supported by vix But is officially supported by other images which you can online update The zgemma uses a patched version of vix so no online update Being honest dont let that put you off I have the same patched image on a box for the last 2 years and still works no problem The gift also known as a line is a code you need and pay for to unscramble the Sky Channels

Lots of boxes come with a 2 pin plug and 3 pin adaptor as they
are made outside the UK, LX 2 is German as far as I can tell.

I haven't had any problem with boxes using 3 pin adaptors, I've had a few different ones.

I wouldn't get into the whole Zgemma / Official Vix argument

But what I would say is look at the forum board, which area posts
the most problems ?? lol

Or is it called good support ROFL

I would sooner have a trouble free box personally.

You will need to put your line in the box as it's illegal to sell them with a "gift"
but it is legal to sell them without.

Last edited:
Back