Which is the best satellite box or should I go cable?

fayhal

Hi All,

I am ditching Virgin and looking at different boxes. I can see you can either have Sky or Virgin images running which service would people recommend to be the most reliable and HD quality?

My main things for a box is:

• Good quality picture
  • Record one channel whilst watching another just like Sky, is it easy to set recordings?
  • Sky/Virgin EPG so has to be user friendly.

I am more inclined going down the satellite route looks like it has more support also I am looking to spend about £100 for the box and how much will a line approximately cost?

Thanks for your help.

Hi,

I personally have a Xpeed LX2 twin tuner sat box (£109), this allows me to watch one channel while recording another, you will only find FTA HD channels with sky, so you wont get Sly sports HD or HD movies etc just the SD channels. With a slybox you can load the slyskin or blue HD skin to give your box the sky look.

As for lines, you need to request and ensure you get a free test line, then load it on your box and try it, prices vary depending on the line provider as do channels they offer

Hi,

I personally have a Xpeed LX2 twin tuner sat box (£109), this allows me to watch one channel while recording another, you will only find FTA HD channels with sky, so you wont get Sly sports HD or HD movies etc just the SD channels. With a slybox you can load the slyskin or blue HD skin to give your box the sky look.

As for lines, you need to request and ensure you get a free test line, then load it on your box and try it, prices vary depending on the line provider as do channels they offer

Just a few questions:

1. Is this the best box for satellite at this price range?
  2. Is the hard drive internal or is it plugged into a USB port externally?
  3. Is recording as easy as normal boxes where you go to guide and just hit record?

Hi,

Firstly for recording its the same on all boxes running Vix so don't look at the box for that feature. You can go to the EPG and click timer which sets the record, either once, daily, weekly etc

Personally for the money yes I think the Xpeed LX2 is the better box, its more powerful than a zgemma and is offically supported by Vix so it updates via the box, you can't do updates with the zgemma without reflashing the box. storage is done via external drive, either a USB stick or USB HDD, if you want inter storage you need to spend some more pennies.

I would go with the advise you have been given, it pretty much matches your budget
for what you want to do.

You will have to buy a HDD for recording to,External USB 3.0, 500Gb should do the trick about £30.

Thanks for all the information I will go for the Xpeed LX2 with a external USB hard drive.

May need some help setting it up though :)

---------- Post Merged at 07:24 PM ----------

@Forcefire Just seen your blog/guide about this box will come in very handy when my box arrives!

Yea just use the image from my blog, this will set the box up for you and then you can just make the small changes needed to set region etc

Guys, quick question. Do these xpeed boxes etc offer season linking?

Or can you go through the epg and select the show you want to record instead of manual setting the timings etc. I have an openbox and recording is pretty poor with the exception of pause and play functionality.

Hi,

Firstly for recording its the same on all boxes running Vix so don't look at the box for that feature. You can go to the EPG and click timer which sets the record, either once, daily, weekly etc

Personally for the money yes I think the Xpeed LX2 is the better box, its more powerful than a zgemma and is offically supported by Vix so it updates via the box, you can't do updates with the zgemma without reflashing the box. storage is done via external drive, either a USB stick or USB HDD, if you want inter storage you need to spend some more pennies.

You will find the LX2 is not more powerful then the Zgemma they both have the same hardware the one difference is 512mb nand/flash which the H2 has anyway this is why this boxes images for vix are used.

Guys, quick question. Do these xpeed boxes etc offer season linking?

Or can you go through the epg and select the show you want to record instead of manual setting the timings etc. I have an openbox and recording is pretty poor with the exception of pause and play functionality.

It's not the box that does this feature but the image or plugins installed which yes this box does support a feature like series link (not as good/simple as sly one but it does the job)

Epg is a bit like Sly you can scroll through and select what you want to record it has a full 7 day one not like the openbox style boxes.

Last edited:
Thanks Mortuaru. Is the set up on these boxes difficult? Read few installation guides and it appears confusing enough in places. Looking at purchasing one from WOS site.

Back