Why do most people seem to flash Vix on their boxes?

Just wondered, my h.2s is coming this afternoon so haven't had a chance to have a tinker with myself yet, but most people seem to want to flash vix onto their box instead of openatv (which is officially supported/updatable). Is there anything that vix can do that openatv can't do, because from my understanding they both are able to do the same kind of things - (clines/nlines, auto channel list updates, epg, sky like skin etc).. I just don't get why someone would run a unofficial modded software on their box that could potentially brick it when there is an officially supported alternative that does the same things?
Would be interested to know the pros and cons between the 2 from someone whos tried both before, and why they stuck with either software? :)

I can't think of one good reason why people insist on installing VIX on these boxes. It's probably because for quite a while on here most of the popular backup builds were by people using Vix. So people just stick with what they are used to.

I will still keep on with my one man mission to convert everyone to openatv and then live a quieter life.

Here is my interpretation of each.

VIX

Pros

Vix used to be slightly faster than atv.
(Statement is now false as the latest Vix 4 build is slow as hell. avoid at all costs)

Has softcam software installed as default so doesn't have to be manually installed.
You can install individual updates, and not forced to do all of them at once.

Cons

Front display doesn't work properly. i.e time display.
Confusing menus
Most people think because they are on Vix that they have to use Crossepg for populating their epg (They don't). This is crappy buggy software that will probably corrupt once a week.
Usb ports seem to break after installing VIX.
You cannot software update.
Backing up your image occasionally times out then breaks your box.
It crashes a lot, if you do anything other than watch TV.
It seems to constantly run out of memory overnight when updating channels and epg. Therefore you will wake up to a frozen box.

OpenAtv

Pros
It just works.
Crossepg doesn't work well on it (which is a good thing)
Most of its core components are more up to date than Vix.

Cons.
Timeshift can be a big memory drain which will slow your box down. So just turn off timeshift unless you know you are going to use it for that program.
Xmltv importer used for the epg (now called epg importer) can sometimes go awol for a couple of days. resulting in a blank epg. You just have to be patient if this happens.
You cannot easily install individual software updates. You have to install them all at once. Including the bad ones.

Last edited:
Time display now works on the h2s even in standby without the need for permanent clock vfd. I don't have issues with crossepg yes the latest vix4 seems to be buggy vix4.1001 seems to be the best. I haven't had issues with creating backups or flashing. I prefer vix menu's but thats probably because of how long I've used vix.
It's a case of each to their own try one then the other make the choice yourself

cmon kiddac we all know how much you adore VIX....you Sir doth protest too much!

Ive used both & started with a VIX backup build so as kiddac says I stuck to what I knew...then got confident & tried ATV, found it a little slower but works better...sometime later I switched to the newest VIX4 to see what I thought of that....oh dear VIX has lost its speed & is as buggy as ever (same reasons as above)...then I went back to ATV only this time to the newest 5.3 version & not had any problems to speak off....Im currently back on VIX (on my Edision this time) to give it another go as the Edision allows ota updates although I feel the need to load ATV for my own sanity & stop messing with my box!

I dont want to pull VIX down but on the zgemma's ATV is the better/more stable way to go imho..!

Last edited:
I was a Vix man myself for a while, on 3 different brands of receiver then had a bad episode of bugs on all 3 receivers (two receivers i could update, zgemma no update)
Now running ATV which has been very stable, the only issue i ever experience (which just about everyone on here will encounter at some point) is the epg "having a moment"
Personally i would go for ATV over VIX:)

Maybe ask in that thread rather than muddle up this 1 but yes should be showing unless u changed setting.

Ive stuck with vix from the getgo. Tried atv. Didnt like it. Nothing more substantial than that. I think it just down to what tickles ur fancy.
Versions of both will be a pain occasionally. On enigma boxs u have to sometimes get over the fact its not a software with millions to develop.

ive tryed everything that i could find for my box but have stuck with atv (when i get board i tend to play with things i should leave alone coz there working good) lol
i think atv just works better for me

Sorry kiddac but i am a big vix fan and will not be converted to openatv as i just dont like using it

Last edited by a moderator:
Box came with OpenATV on it, had a play. Flashed Vix had a play, back to OpenATV and never looked back.

I don't understand why you would want to put something on your box which can cause it to not boot and require a re-flash if you update over the air, it doesn't make any sense to me. But with that said I cannot comment on Vix at all to give any pros or cons or compare Vix and OpenATV.

OpenATV just seems to work just a shame they removed the softcam panel as standard.

Kiddac, nothing wrong with a bit of CrossEPG!..................... apart from newer versions don't work with zgemma boxes... but hey, I like the older version (I have to, the new one wont work)

Open ATV sucks LOL

In fairness though, the SF8 is an officially supported by the VIX crowd.

Crossepg has an issue with atv but know its been grand with my boxs on vix since day 1. Out of a lot of boxs ive seen, 3 had a corrupted epg file. Easy fixed. Never returned.
But as we all know, not all reports of a problem are software based. Most of the time, even for experienced users, user error is to blame.
On any image, if u see enough boxs, you'll see epg, record, stuck on boot, the box blew me a raspberry etc. People blame images when sometimes just sht happens

and as this thread shows... its entirely up to the user what they prefer... try them both... its doesn't take too long to reflash with one or the other. (even though atv is quicker to flash ;) ) and then make up your mind. But you will end up with ATV (look into my eyeS, look into my eyes)

OPENATV.png

To be honest I think we have all missed original question which was the thread title:

Why do most people seem to flash Vix on their boxes?

The answer is simple:

Because they haven't come across WooshBuild yet !

Do I hear a Like ?? No, OK I will shut up now!

Last edited:
As kiddac is probably more then aware I'm a vix man, in the time i had my zgemma's I rarely had problems, but I've got to agree vix 4.1 is buggy as hell, I'm having a big problem with cross epg crashing my box at the time I have it set to download and this is on an edision os mini and only affects my twin tuner but not my single, latest vix 008 was meant to have fixed it but again woke this morning to a crashed box and really can't see what's causing it and can only put it down to a bug.

Vix is only going to brick ur box if u online update. And only on airsat boxs like zgemma.
Any atv online update can brick ur box as ur taking a nightly build which may have a bug not worked out yet.
In either case brick means needs a 2 min reflash. Nothing more.

My advice is try 1.
If it does what u want, stick with it.
If it seems slow, swap.

When uv Settled, only update when u hear of a new bell or whistle.
I still use vix 4.1.003. Works fine for me. Atv was very very slow to me. Thats my personal why. Urs will be different after uv had ur box a while

Another question to ask is if you get any other box other than the zgemma range that is officially supported supported by vix would you then use vix or openatv

Back