Why the new revisions of Firefox suck..

dan-ger-ous

VIP Member
So got a message in my FireFox browser saying that its out of date and must be updated (next update Firefox 8.0). I'm currently on 3.6.2.4. Looking at the big jump in versions makes me wonder whether I should just give up with FF.

My older laptop isn't necessarily the fastest (256MB RAM - 40GB HDD). Currently Firefox 3.xx requires 128MB of RAM and around 50MB of HDD space. However from Firefox 4.0 onwards it requires around 200MB of HDD space and 512MB RAM.

Because of add on incompatibility I decided to stay with the version I had. Now it turns out after using a portable version of FF8. That all my add ons are now compatible. I would upgrade but it looks like the newer versions of FF are asking for quite abit of system resources so I'll be staying with this older version. :)

Not much of a rant, but certainly not thrilled about the 512MB ram requirement...

Honestly, I have pretty much been sticking with Chrome as of late. I truly miss all of my add-ons and extensions that I have with FF and I am still leery of my privacy with any google product, but I am simply tired of the constant revisions and hassle from FF. You upgrade to the latest and all your extensions don't work or you get database errors on websites. I have enough issues, without dealing with ones that can be avoided. I still am a big supporter of FF but they will have to get their program lined out and under control before they can receive my exclusivity again.

IM still on the older version Dan i refuse to update to 8.0 Think i updated to something like 6.XX and it started to go wrong so converted back to 3.xx where im happy. I do get smae error message telling to to update to the now 8.0 but ignore and will so for as long as i can get away with it. I do also use chrome but just really dont like it - but even that is better than IE. Maybe i should try using one of the other browsers.

Was recommend FF many yrs ago and never looked back ......................... until now with all the changes, it does make you wonder!

Same as Ferg, sick and tired of FF ATM, too many changes and things not working, I went from 3.6 to 5, had nothing but problems so tried Chrome and after getting used to it I love it, like ferg I miss the add-ons that FF offers but Chrome seems to run so much faster without any problems.

I have never updated since 4.0, and had no problems until the last week or so, mainly on here. I considered that it may just be me, so I have just reformatted and reinstalled everything. will let you know how I get on. Oh and by the way I am staying on 4.0

an update peeps. I had problems opening FF on my sons pc - im the only one that uses FF they STILL use IE (8).
Even when i opened IE and tried to download the downlaod page would not show. So shut down pc started again and installed FF 9.0.1 TBH doesnt look much difference from the version i had - which was probably 3.?? on this pc.
I dont use this pc much but when i need to i like to have my FF.

an update peeps. I had problems opening FF on my sons pc - im the only one that uses FF they STILL use IE (8).
Even when i opened IE and tried to download the downlaod page would not show. So shut down pc started again and installed FF 9.0.1 TBH doesnt look much difference from the version i had - which was probably 3.?? on this pc.
I dont use this pc much but when i need to i like to have my FF.

I think you should advise or order the rest of the family members to use either chrome or Firefox. Just cannot trust Internet Explorer. I dont know what it is with Internet Explorer, it just has that "generic Windows look to it which does nothing but put me off and gives off a vibe that it is unsafe to use".

They will be far happier with Chrome or Firefox. ;)

Dan ive tried but none of them like FF or chrome. But they HAVE to have them installed on their pcs .................. coz im the one that has to fix problems :) They are all stubborn lol!

Dan ive tried but none of them like FF or chrome. But they HAVE to have them installed on their pcs .................. coz im the one that has to fix problems :) They are all stubborn lol!

They do not like it? lol wow! Maybe you should use some scare tactics, like your vulnerable to your Facebook account being compromised, that should do it? lol

The funny thing about web browsers is that its an application that connects you to the rest of the world, and I feel as though it just cannot have the same look as any other windows applications, and Internet Explorer does just that...

I have to look around me when using Internet Explorer thats how unsafe I feel, as if one of the members of Anonymous is standing behind me... lol

*Dan quickly looks back just incase"

I agree with you dan, of course there is only one sure way to protect yourself from the internet.

unplug-disconnect-560x372.jpg

im running the latest ff on my old celeron and an even older p4 and it takes about 256mb on average on each machine.never had it take more than 256mb.

There will be no "Final" release. Unless you view it in the light that the plan is to do away with actual version numbers and adopt the Chrome release philosophy where it is simply updated silently and the user is none the wiser.

is it Microsoft that support Mozilla Firefox? i read it somewhere on the net a few weeks ago. Cant remember now - damn! signs of old age kicking in LOL

Its my only browser and yes it is a pain in the ass with the ammount of updates,as ferg said i am concerned over my privacy with chrome,i have used it but keep going back to firefox,ie 9 is a joke with speed,for those interested and want to know what developments are coming have a look HERE

To be honest, I am back on FF for the time being, I think its v. 9.0.1. I missed my add-ons too much to stay away and I feel more secure on it. Yes 90%+ of your internet security is common sense and be aware of your environment (where you are directing your browsing) but every little bit helps. When you can have the added benefit of script blocking, ad blocking (not recommended for this site), and a few other odds and ends in your corner too it just makes me breath easier. You can get a little bit of those in Chrome, but it still not up to the same standards and I always feel Google looking over my shoulder monitoring everything that I do. Just paranoia I guess.
Also, since this latest update, I am not experiencing the problems with FF browsing that I was, here or anywhere else. Maybe its worked out for good.

Last edited:
I agree Ferg updated to the latest on my sons and it seems ok. Still on FF 3.6 on here i think. The add ons on FF 9 seem to be better than they were on 8 think ive lost just one. Asa for chrime ive got it and only use it if FF is slow but never have anything open on there like bank stuff etc - just crud lol!

I stay with firefox personally because of many of you have said chrome has privacy issues. I have the lastest version of firefox installed and it seems stable to me.

Back