Workaround for missing SS HD channels

Hi guys I've found my own little work around for those of us missing EPL games with English commentary on SS HD via Virgin. Apols if this has already been mentioned.

If you have a combi DVB-C + DVB-S box, such as a Zgemma H2.H, then you can still watch the game on 19.2e, 23.5e or 13e etc on their Sports channels in HD.

Obviously the commentary won't be in English. So to add English commentary visit Open Webif online and load up SS SD via Virgin on another device such as a laptop, phone or tablet. If you have a TV sound bar or some speakers connect to that for better acoustics.

There'll be a couple of seconds delay between the two sources but this is easily rectified by pausing one briefly and restarting again to sync. Naturally the scoreboard in the corner of the screen comes in very useful for such a job.

I don't have a soundbar myself so have been using a portable TV connected to my Firebox instead. With the sound turned down on the main telly. I'm pleased to say the results have been very encouraging so far.

not really a work round for most people
but you could do that

i think most people with a satellite will start looking in to motorised or multi dishes
but as for the sound side. i dont really think you need the commentary anyway, if you know what your watching

or jut stick to the sd not the end of the world on cable

not really a work round for most people
but you could do that

i think most people with a satellite will start looking in to motorised or multi dishes
but as for the sound side. i dont really think you need the commentary anyway, if you know what your watching

or jut stick to the sd not the end of the world on cable

It's personal preference at the end of the day. Some people I know who've watch streams over the years seem to be more hung up on having English commentary than others.

I prefer English myself but can suffice with foreign. M+ on 19.2e is a good alternative as they broadcast a 'crowd noise' only soundtrack without any commentary whatsoever.

Just through I'd put it out there, in case anyone's interested, as it's simple to do and is an option that doesn't appear to have been explored so far.

Hi guys I've found my own little work around for those of us missing EPL games with English commentary on SS HD via Virgin. Apols if this has already been mentioned.

If you have a combi DVB-C + DVB-S box, such as a Zgemma H2.H, then you can still watch the game on 19.2e, 23.5e or 13e etc on their Sports channels in HD.

Obviously the commentary won't be in English. So to add English commentary visit Open Webif online and load up SS SD via Virgin on another device such as a laptop, phone or tablet. If you have a TV sound bar or some speakers connect to that for better acoustics.

There'll be a couple of seconds delay between the two sources but this is easily rectified by pausing one briefly and restarting again to sync. Naturally the scoreboard in the corner of the screen comes in very useful for such a job.

I don't have a soundbar myself so have been using a portable TV connected to my Firebox instead. With the sound turned down on the main telly. I'm pleased to say the results have been very encouraging so far.
Can this be done just through cable though, or do i have to be linked to sat...

Yes you will need access to both a Cable feed and a satellite dish, but beyond that you will only need a single cline and one set top box. I have the Zgemma H2.H which is ideal.

Whilst it may require a dish pointing away from 28.2e. I'm certainly not motorised and have never used anything greater than bog standard 45cm fixed minidishes before. They're more than capable of picking up the stronger sats such as 19.2e, 23.5e and 13e.

Either move your dish to one of 19.2e / 23.5e / 13e. Or if you're reluctant to move your dish and lose 28.2e then there's an alternative. With a 45cm dish if you attach a second LNB (the Octagon Optima Slimline is ideal and I've just seen one for a tenner - but preferably avoid anyhing bulkier than a quad) immediately onto the easterly side of the existing LNB (right hand side if looking from in front of the dish of course) it'll pick up 19.2e simultaneously on the offset. Something rubbery and stretchy such as a pack of hairbands or self amalgamating tape is ideal for keeping it in place. A further and more sturdy option would be a 4 degree separation monoblock which would also do the trick. Remember those with modern MK4 minidishes would of course require a 40mm LNB neck holder for the monoblock as Sly's recent ones have shunk to 37mm these days. Well known auction sites as usual are the place to go for those and only cost buttons.

A single cline with entitlements for both Euro sat and VM Cable will allow the user to watch channels from both the DVB-S and DVB-C tuners simultaneously. Watch the Euro sat channel in the regular way via HDMI on your TV. Then on your phone / tablet / laptop visit OpenWebIf online and play SS SD on VM in VLC via your local Wifi network. Both channels will play simultaneously between the two devices. The sync will be a couple of seconds out but once you've sorted that by pausing / restarting the job's a goodin!

Hi all

Can I get some help on this method mentioned above. I have the zgemma h2h with only cable feed. I have access to a sky feed but not connected to the box and disabled in the tuner config

Would someone be able to provide a step by step from connecting the cable to getting to the page? I thought sly had all channels blocked so how would this work

As long as I get a hd picture of ss not bothered about commentary

Thanks

Hi mate. It's true that all pay channels on 28.2e have long since been shut down. However many of Sly's continental rivals on nearby satellites, such as the Spanish, Dutch and Polish are still going strong. With full HD to boot.

They show more live EPL games than Sly and BT per week, put together, plus 3pm's too. The pitch side cameras used are exactly the same. You just won't get any English commentary but nothing stopping you from flicking back over to Virgin at half time for the analysis.

A minidish is fine but the most important thing is to be able reach your dish in order to move it slightly towards the next satellite along. A packet of spanners from the £1 shop work wonders. I'd recommend 19.2e. The Spanish service on M+ Futbol is fantastic. No big deal about losing a few FTA UK channels on 28.2e when you've already got Virgin I suposse.

This site should assist you moving the dish= dishpointer dot com.

After connecting the satellite cable to the box. You'll need some channels installing to waggle the dish at. I'd go Menu > Plugins > Green for Download plugins > Settings. Then choose any entries from the section which mention 19.e. Once downloaded you'll need to activate the 19.2e satellite itself. Go to Menu > Setup > Tuner Config > Tuner Setup. Then in Simple Mode configure Tuner A to 19.2e and press green to save. All done. You might also want to configure AutoBoquet Maker to create bouquets for M+ and Sly Deutschland afterwards but that's not essential.

Yes my line is multisat + cable. I don't do a lot of recording on my box and only just realised recently that it let's me watch eg. a Euro sat channel whilst recording a cable channel. Or vice versa.

Saturday afternoon I had the Spurs 3pm game on the big telly directly via HDMI with Jeff Stelling on the portable on the window ledge next to it. I copy and pasted all the m3u8 bouquet links from OpenWebIf into a .txt document. Side loaded an IPTV app onto my Firebox and imported the .m3u8 doc into the app.

Connected the Firebox to the portable via HDMI and watched from there via the app + VLC.

Last edited:
Back