Xpeed LX2 ive almost had enough

21sam

Hi I have had my Xpeed LX2 a few weeks now and it has drove me almost the point I through it in the bin.

First let me say that Forcefire has given me excellent advice and cant ask him for more help

My problem has been mainly that I started with a small USB stick in the read socket to save the EPG and a few backups and recordings.

I soon realized that this was not big enough for this so I bought a 64GB stick then my problems started I formatted the stick to FAT 32 in windows 7 but it would only format to EX FAT 32 and it seem the Xpeed does not like EX FAT 32, It appears windows does not like to format any thing over 32 GB to FAT 32, after trying a few format tool I managed to format to FAT 32 and now it works ok but it took me about 10 days and almost gave up and binned the xpeed.

So why does the xpeed not like NTFS or EX FAT 32 I have been given a cheap open box (That's what got me started with this project) and it will use NTFS no problem so why not the xpeed.

Also I am having trouble updating the EPG and forcefire suggested to check the turner config in settings and to do a channel scan but I can not find any thing in the settings to do this.

And this is before I try adding a payserver

Regards

You didnt say what image you are using If it is Vix the you have to configure your epg in cross epg Menu/ set up/ Crossepg/ Configure Make sure your usb is set up and initialised and mounted first

Most small pen drives are picked up automatically.

I see you have managed to get the box to see it but just out of interest
did you try initialsing it and mounting it in the menus ?

You have to do this for bigger storage devices like USB HDD's or the box won't pick them up.

Have a look here

Just miss out the VM parts if you are using a twin sat tuner, rather than the combo.

user error i am afraid to say ,how many tuts are on the forum for enigma 2 boxes and i even have links on other threads for the vix manual pdf file to download and follow,£51 for a usb lol i would put the money towards a hdd for recording and what i use is a kingston micro usb 8gb for epg as it keeps things neat and working.

21Sam, I've been updating the image backup to make it into a small guide to help people get up and running, if your still having issue drop me a PM and I'll give you some more help, no point struggling buddy I don't mind helping :)

Once the box is setup and running you'll be fine and enjoying free $ky in no time.

Dude perceiver.
The one thing u didnt mention was initialising. Im sure u have but just in case. This changes format from ntfs/fat32 to ext4 which the box uses.
only reason u need fat32 is to flash.

did you try initialsing it and mounting it in the menus ?

Hi guy yes I did try initialsing it but it still would not mount

You didnt say what image you are using If it is Vix the you have to configure your epg in cross epg Menu/ set up/ Crossepg/ Configure Make sure your usb is set up and initialised and mounted first

Hi I am using the latest Vix image and I have been to menu/setup/crossepg/configure then after that I don't know what to do to configure it

I have a spare 500GB hard drive and I would like to use that but it will not format to anything other than NTFS so its no good

I did try initialing s usb drive but then that would not work on my computer

If you download HP formatting tool this does drives larger than 32gb with the smaller drive It will work on your computer it just needs formatting again as when you initialise it partion it I have 2 similar boxes to you have small USB in back for EPG and bigger drive for recording. You have to a drive mounted for EPG. When you configure your cross EPG just select a time normally about 5am and make sure it is set to your USB normal media/HDD. Select a provider. Then download

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've replied to your PM 21sam after reading what you put your 99% set up just a little change to get your USB & EPG working :)

Last edited:
If you download HP formatting tool this does drives larger than 32gb with the smaller drive It will work on your computer it just needs formatting again as when you initialise it partion it I have 2 similar boxes to you have small USB in back for EPG and bigger drive for recording. You have to a drive mounted for EPG. When you configure your cross EPG just select a time normally about 5am and make sure it is set to your USB normal media/HDD. Select a provider. Then download

Thank you for the advice

So I have to initialise it then partition it then after it is initialise then does it need formating

Cant use partioned drive.
try this.
format on pc to whatever. No partitions.
box off
usb/hdd in
box on
try to initialise again.

Any initialised usb/hdd cannot be used anywhere else without wiping/formatting. Will live in box permanently.

FAT32 is a common file system format used on computers of all types. FAT32 has several benefits over other common file systems; it can be read and written to from nearly any operating system and it has no built-in security, which makes it easier to work with. While FAT32 is widely supported, it is not often implemented as the default format on most machines. Windows machines generally default to the NTFS system, Linux systems generally use the Ext4 system, and Apple machines use the HFS Plus system. When sharing external drives between different computers, it can be advantageous to format the drive using the FAT32 file system. Learning how to format FAT32 drives is a fairly straightforward process. However if you buy an external hard drive its format will originally be NTFS but it is easy to change.

1) Back up all the data you want to keep on the drive. Formatting a drive to a new file system will completely clear all the data stored on it. Move important files from the drive to another drive, such as your computer's hard drive

2) Open a command prompt. Reformatting a drive must be done through the Windows command prompt. To open one, hold the "Start" key and the "r" key or click the "Start" button, and then click on "Run." In the dialog box that appears, type "cmd." This will open the command prompt.

3) Enter the command line for reformatting the drive. With the command prompt open, type "format /FS:FAT32 X:" replacing the letter "X" with the letter of your external hard drive (you can find this letter by looking at the drive's icon in "My Computer").

4) Enter current volume label for drive. You can find this by typing in "vol (drive letter):" into command prompt. This will tell you the current label for the selected drive.

5) Confirm the command line. Windows will warn you that reformatting the drive will erase all its data. Type "Y" to confirm that you want to proceed. Wait for the formatting operation to finish before removing the external drive; the time required will vary based on the size of the drive.

Once its formatted it will then need to be changed to EXT4 via the Xpeed LX2 to work correctly :)

Last edited:
Cant use partioned drive.
try this.
format on pc to whatever. No partitions.
box off
usb/hdd in
box on
try to initialise again.
Any initialised usb/hdd cannot be used anywhere else without wiping/formatting. Will live in box permanently.

Thanks for the advice I did not realise that it would have to remain in the xpeed permanently I was trying to record to it and then watch the recording on my computer

So I have it working now formatted the FAT 32 should I change it to EX14 format

I've replied to your PM you mate,

Yes the USB drive needs to be left in the box all the time, once its set up just leave it, you don't need to remove it to extract the recordings off your drive to watch on your PC I will also help you get recordings off your box using Dreambox Control Centre. You can also remove any backups you make to keep safe on your PC.

Once the drive is in your box format it to EXT4 so it will work with the Linux System then just forget about the drive, just pretend it built in to the box and can't be removed, I do lol

as far as i was told just initialize the drive as it mounts it and if you look underneath might say ext3-4 which i told everyone to do afterwards lol

EXT4 is a Linux format just like FAT32 is Windows, on a Linux based box I always tend to ire on the side of caution and format it EXT4 just in case some part of the system requires that format either now or in future updates, just covering my backside incase something goes tits up lol.

I've not seen any real reason why its better but as I said with the system based on Linux its best to stick with Linux formats, I tend to command in Linux so find it easier to know all my settings are set that way. I guess its the geek in me coming through :p

Back