Zgemma H2H stuck on Boot - Again!!!

A couple of months ago, I tried updating my build on a H2H (OpenATV 6.0) and ended up with a box stuck on boot. Tried different USB sticks with a verified correct build, the box wouldn't even read the USB. So that box ended up trashed (bricked I guess).

Bough another a few days later, it worked fine until about a week ago when I started losing HD channels (sound but no picture). Reading the forums, suggestions were to update to OpenATV 6.1. I could only do that by flashing. But despite trying 7 USB sticks today, this new box will not read any USB, it just loads the existing build. So again following some forum members suggestions, I flashed on the fly. It seemed to work, the flashing message came up, then said it was rebooting and now I have another box stuck in boot mode. No matter what USB I use, the box doesn't seem to see it or read it, so it wont come up with "USB" or "Flash" on the display.

I am at my wits end with these Zgemma boxes, they seem to brick for nothing and the USB ports seldom work for flashing, yet when a build is loaded, the box sees the USB? Does anyone have any ideas on how I can fix this, I don't want to spend more on yet another box. Thanks.

i would love to know why people are having so many problems

i must be a lucky one, i mess with my box all the time and never have any problems like this
i have flashed my box with sd cards in an adapter to a usb stick at 128gb with out problems

is it not keeping up with updates
is it not knowing how to flash

but so many people seem to come on the site with, this type of problem
these boxes are like cars, if you dont look after your car, you get problems

what usb sticks are you using? ie are you buying cheap from fleebay or are they from reliable source?

I had someone send me their box at the weekend as they tried updating the wb they had installed, it went through the flashing process (online flash) and then wouldn't reboot. When I got the box I reflashed it via usb without a problem, albeit with a different image and it turned out the usb stick has got messed up somehow, I reformatted it with both windows and hddguru and even used a partition program and deleted the partition and created and ext4 partition with no joy. Obviously the stick wasn't being wiped clean as each time I put it back into the box it was seeing the same files on the stick which should have been wiped off. The box works fine, just can't use the usb stick so have advised him to replace it

i would love to know why people are having so many problems

I think the real problems are people dont prep a usb correctly, ether they only fat32 format with Windowws or prep a usb correctly once & then think they can use it time & time again without the need to prep it again...IF the usb is left in the box after flashing & allowed to boot up fully the box alters the USB to be used as storage...(the usb will no longer flash anything until its prepared from scratch again!).

Box flashing via usb is simple IF you follow the correct steps, however usb flashing should only ever be needed when your box is stuck on boot or wont boot fully as any other time you can upgrade your boxes firmware on the fly which when done correctly will save ALL your plugins,settings,codes etc.

All too often we see people saying they tried several usb's with no joy & then blame the box when its not a fault of the box...very few usb's wont flash a box...(including zgemma's) its nearly always an error made by the person trying to flash...(mostly an incorrectly prepared usb!).

USB flashing problem posts have become my pet hate...its so easy...IF....you do things right!
(I havnt needed to look at any guides in ages so maybe they are out of date or miss things like: the benefit of removing the usb as the box boots after a flash over leaving the usb in the port & allowing the box to boot fully).

Last edited:
Hi, I have only used sticks bought from reputable shops and they are reliable makes like Kingston and others. I did a full low level format on all of them, then full fat32, would not work. I managed to borrow 3 other sticks and one of them worked. So that makes 1 stick in 10 that worked. Thankfully I have the box working again but if one has to buy 10 plus sticks just to get this right, it would be cheaper just to buy another box!! P.S. I actually flashed on the fly originally because my sticks would not flash on boot up. The flashing on the fly wasn't a bright idea, it then just got stuck in boot mode until the 10th USB stick.

there is no reason why you would need to try so many sticks unless they are faulty/chinese copies or not prepared properly, unless the image you have put on the usb stick has been corrupted during the download

Hi, I have only used sticks bought from reputable shops and they are reliable makes like Kingston and others. I did a full low level format on all of them, then full fat32, would not work. I managed to borrow 3 other sticks and one of them worked. So that makes 1 stick in 10 that worked. Thankfully I have the box working again but if one has to buy 10 plus sticks just to get this right, it would be cheaper just to buy another box!! P.S. I actually flashed on the fly originally because my sticks would not flash on boot up. The flashing on the fly wasn't a bright idea, it then just got stuck in boot mode until the 10th USB stick.

I've never had a USB stick that won't flash any E2 receiver and I must have about 40 of them and they all work.
I agree with @BeakyFord on this one. It's all in the preparation and removing them immediately after flashing.

@Willo3092 I dont think any of the guides have covered the removal of a usb directly after flashing & before the box boots up... this info is key IF you want to repeatedly flash boxes without the need to prepare the usb from scratch... most people will only need to flash a box one time to get it going again so maybe the guides were written with a one time flash in mind (this could be why usb removal hasnt been included)

@Willo3092 I dont think any of the guides have covered the removal of a usb directly after flashing & before the box boots up... this info is key IF you want to repeatedly flash boxes without the need to prepare the usb from scratch... most people will only need to flash a box one time to get it going again so maybe the guides were written with a one time flash in mind (this could be why usb removal hasnt been included)
I must admit I don't alway remove the USB stick as soon as it's flashed and not had issues, I think preparation is key.

Back