500gb External Hard drive zgemma star ??

Gindo

Hi ,Anybody suggest the best and cheapest 500gb external hard drive for zgemma ??
thanks

Just get a cheap 2.5 inch hard drive off fleabay and also a single usb caddy there are cheap about a £5 format drive on computer then initiate once plugged into box.

I'd use a desktop drive if I were you (powered by a separate mains plug). There's a warning on the back of my Zgemma 2S not to exceed a current load on the USB port and that says to me they've identified it as a possible weakness in the design. I'm using a 2Tb toshiba USB3 I got in a supermarket clearance for £55 and it works well, hotukdeals is worth a look too.

what is it with toshiba lol,i got a 1tb powered to my tm,one thing to double check i use usb for my epg and ext hdd for recordings,somewhere in settings they changed,i spotted it on set up mounts where epg was going to hdd and recordings to 8gb usb lol.
double check if you use both is my warning.

sorry to hijack a thread, but im trying to add my external hdd and usb to my zgemma s2, purely for recording purposes. im trying to mount it and it keeps saying
"Converting ext3 to ext4...
Error: A required tool (fsck.ext3) was not found"

any suggestions?

connect drive to computer Quick format to fat32..then with box OFF connect drive turn on box and it should be good..if not in storage settings on box just initialise hard drive nothing else will take 5-10 mins to complete its basically just formatting again.. once complete just exit everything.
Also in settings make sure its mounted as media/hdd but by rights this should be already in place.

Last edited:
I'd use a desktop drive if I were you (powered by a separate mains plug). There's a warning on the back of my Zgemma 2S not to exceed a current load on the USB port and that says to me they've identified it as a possible weakness in the design. I'm using a 2Tb toshiba USB3 I got in a supermarket clearance for £55 and it works well, hotukdeals is worth a look too.

Thats weird that ive never bought one that had that sticker. Just the security sticker and iv seen a few. Was urs recent?
good to know they take that size. Someone asked other day :)

---------- Post Merged at 12:43 AM ----------

what is it with toshiba lol,i got a 1tb powered to my tm,one thing to double check i use usb for my epg and ext hdd for recordings,somewhere in settings they changed,i spotted it on set up mounts where epg was going to hdd and recordings to 8gb usb lol.
double check if you use both is my warning.

Ive found rebooting with front usb in can change mounts so have stopped. Wonder hardware, image or driver thing?

lol . Soz dude ;) tm. Forgot

"Alternative" usb lol

---------- Post Merged at 01:48 AM ----------

And cause ur running up to date too could be image related.

I use a 500 Gb Toshiba 3.0 USB drive, seems ok, haven't had any issues.

Hi could you run through how you set this up I have a 500gb Toshiba Touro and the box does not even see it ! I have formated on PC to FAT 32 format but I cant see it when plugged into either the front or rear USB
The Touro is a USB 3.0 drive
I know I have to mount and format etc but cant even see it to do this

your help would be greatfully received

I can't get usb to work in Zgemma usb no format option to fat32 tried everything to get this to mount, any help much appreciated

I can't get usb to work in Zgemma usb no format option to fat32 tried everything to get this to mount, any help much appreciated

You download some formatting software and format on pc if you have windows 10 if on earlier windows right click on drive and change format to fat 32 but all Done on pc not box

Zgemma h2s anybody know why i can't store extra films or tv programmes on the hard drive from my laptop? I have an OpenBox as well and have no trouble.

Back