A newbie that is ditching Sky....Wants a Zgemma H2H but unsure about the tuners...

ccfox

Good Afternoon All,

I am about to partially cut the cord with sky for the TV and wanting to go for a Freesat/Freeview hybrid box.

Not interested in the "gifts" as I will be getting a Roku box for Now TV (I know it's still Sky but £6 for what I want to watch as opposed to £40 for a lot of rubbish), Plex & Netflix (only box that does all 3).

I have been looking at the Zgemma H2H box and I am a little confused...I have watched a couple of vids on YouTube and they only use a Virgin Media cable for the second tuner. It does say in the description that it is a hybrid tuner so am I correct to assume that I can use a RF Freeview Arial with it instead (I will be using a satellite feed for the other tuner).

If this is correct after the box has scanned both providers will it mix the channels together or will there be 2 different channel lists?

I have decent level IT skills (building PC, Home networks & media servers) but never used Linux (I know....shame on me) and I have a pretty good understanding on how to get the box up and running (Slyk skin...Vix)

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

King Regards

CCFOX
(Yes Leicester Fan who cried at the King Power when Andrea Bocelli sang Nessum Dorma!)

Yes, it also supports DVB-T2 through the 2nd tuner so you can get Freeview through it.

With these boxes, there is a program called AutoBouquetsMakers which typically creates the channel lists you need. However, I'm unsure if it will cover Freeview+Freesat as there's more focus on getting it setup for premium channels. IMO, a manual scan would be a good starting point, at which point you can create your own channel list.

And don't worry about being unfamiliar with Linux, you don't need any knowledge of it as it's all gui-based.

Yes, it also supports DVB-T2 through the 2nd tuner so you can get Freeview through it.

With these boxes, there is a program called AutoBouquetsMakers which typically creates the channel lists you need. However, I'm unsure if it will cover Freeview+Freesat as there's more focus on getting it setup for premium channels. IMO, a manual scan would be a good starting point, at which point you can create your own channel list.

And don't worry about being unfamiliar with Linux, you don't need any knowledge of it as it's all gui-based.

Biohead

Thank you for your reply.

Having watched the youtube vids it looks like you can choose Freesat FTA in the channel list setup (I am assuming that is what the AutoBouquetsMakers is for).

I think it will be a case of trial & error until I get used to the menus.

Again many thanks.

Rgds

CCFOX

c589ee4d3ee884e35edaa1694747a7ee.jpg

Dangerous

That is similar to the screenshots that were on the youtube vids i watched that had a Virgin Media cable with an adaptor that converted the VM cable to RF plugged in. The back of the box is definitely an RF socket.

I think the software automatically detects which cable is plugged in. Don't know for sure though.

Many thanks for your reply.

CCFox

Good Evening

After doing some more research coupled with the advice given by biohead and dangerous it seems that dangerous is correct that the RF input is for Virgin Media only not Freeview (I can't find evidence to the contrary).

Thank for taking the time to answer my questions.

As I have 2 sky feeds it will be going for a dual sat tuner. Would like an H2S but not sure if the sky q skin (which looks marvellous...Credit to the author(s)) is compatible.

Can anybody advise please.

Again Kind Regards

CCFox

No, you can definitely use it for DVB-T2 too! Just needs to be changed in tuner config:

screenshot (1).jpg

I did have my old H2 setup for Freeview only prior to moving to a Virgin area.

Good Evening

After doing some more research coupled with the advice given by biohead and dangerous it seems that dangerous is correct that the RF input is for Virgin Media only not Freeview (I can't find evidence to the contrary).

Thank for taking the time to answer my questions.

As I have 2 sky feeds it will be going for a dual sat tuner. Would like an H2S but not sure if the sky q skin (which looks marvellous...Credit to the author(s)) is compatible.

Can anybody advise please.

Again Kind Regards

CCFox

Biohead is right, you can use it as freeview, i'm not sure how you veiwed my photo but i was trying to show you the freeview settings for ABM

Good Morning

I get it now...Thank you both.

Also I have found on ebay a seller that is offering the h2h firmware with a sky q image all in one for about £4. It will install the box from scratch and give a few choices of skins.

As I am a newbie to all this do you think that this is an easy option than trawling and taking risks about installing.

You both been very helpful and have my gratitude.

Regards

CCFox

I may be wrong as I dont use the slyQ skin but from what I recall reading on here when it was being made there is/was an issue... slyQ is meant for new customers so you must have the newest lnb for it to work... I use kiddacs slyhd1 skin which has become by far the best & most used skin, you can find the slyQ skin here on techkings with instructions & its all for free so no need to waist your cash

Hello Again Hello

I have googled SlyHD1 and viewed the images. Really nice. Sky Q skin would of been nice but I live in a flat with a shared dish so an LNB upgrade wouldn't be possible.

Also I noticed that a plex plugin is available and that looked very impressive.

I think I now know which skin to use.

Just one more question...Is it possible to view recodings on Plex via a Roku box in another room that is connected to the same network?

Rgds

lol @ googled slyk...the most popular & newest skins, plugins etc were created right here on techkings by our very clever & sometime spiky but mostly friendly members so all images & instructions can be found here just have a look in the sickies, there is also a search option for each section of the forum that will help you find everything you need, any problems that anyone has ever had will have been covered many times within the forum so have a look around...a lot has been covered in the H2S section eventhough it applies to the other models of the same range, there are some quality image backups made by members for both sly & vermin so worth checking those out too...basically techkings is the place to find everything you need to know from the simple to the top techy stuff all in one place

I have cut the cord with sky and bought a Zgemma H2.s box. I think that the H2.H wouldn't have been the right choice for me.

I have also downloaded Whooshbuild's firmware and will be buying him a beer.

I would like to thank those who replied to me for their help and guidance.

I have tried looking for a link for the plex plugin but no avail....If somebody could point me in the right direction that would be great.

Regards

Dreamplex (plex) is available via Plugins on your box When box arrives and you have set up
Press menu , Plugins
Green button to download
Select Extensions ,
Dreamplex

Dreamplex (plex) is available via Plugins on your box When box arrives and you have set up
Press menu , Plugins
Green button to download
Select Extensions ,
Dreamplex

Brilliant!!!

Do You know if I can access any recordings made by the H2S on a Roku/nowtv box with plex installed on the same network?

Rgds

Not quite sure never tried I would of thought it is possible Though

---------- Post Merged at 03:50 PM ----------

If you can put a Url in plex just put the ip of your box you should be able to view recordings via openwebif

My zgemma box is on the way....Cancelled Sky.

The seller had told me it is flashed with Openvix and Blue HD skin. Is it easy to add the Slyk skin or should I start from scratch?

Also been offered a "gift"...12 months £25

Is it worth the risk and is it traceable?

personally Id go for a line/gift from our section on here as sellers are known & have a track record so usually try to help IF you need any...fleabay guys tend not to respond after they have your cash...plus on fleabay many dodgy sellers only give 3months as you cant do anything after that with fleabay...
installing skins is very easy... a few simple steps & your sorted, all info is on here

Back