Bitcoin

I remember when bitcoin started back in 2009, basically when it started it had no value it you had to put a lot of effort and skill into mining for it, and although I was doing a bit of coding at the time I thought it was over my head and would be like the rubics cube once people have done it everyone will get bored of it, how wrong I was there.

I looked at it a couple of times since and again thought 'na it wont last, its just a fad'.

Well this week, yesterday actually, very late in the game I know I thought what the hell, lets have a small dabble. Rather than just buying bitcoins I decided to invest into mining as well. So I firstly created a bitcoin wallet, and transferred cash into it, I then invested $54 worth of bitcoin into a mining site. The mining site claims that I should get about $21 worth of bitcoin back each month.

What have I noticed:

The bitcoin wallet & bitcoin broker site charges transaction fees, these are charged in bitcoins, well fractions off, as the value of bitcoin is high then the fees are also, in total it looks like about £10 of the £72 taken from my bank has gone to fees in the 2 transactions I have .

I when I invested in mining the amount paid in bitcoins worked out at £44.58 ($54), that is for a 3 year mining contract. It left me £17.37 worth of bitcoin in my wallet.

In the first 24 hours I earned $0.96 from mining, if that is about the same for a month I will get back about $29/month (£21) so in theory my mining investment should be paid back in about 2 months if the bitcoin value stays as it is.

In the first 36 hours, the £17.37 of bitcoin left in my wallet has dropped to £16.96 so the mining earnings has basically covered the drop in value of the bitcoin.

As you can see I'm not talking large numbers and I'm treating it just as a intriguing bit of fun, will I invest/waste/gamble more, too early to say, if I do it wont be the pension:)

Do I think it will become a widespread currency, replacing sovereign currencies, I think it needs to get a lot simpler for that to ever happen, registration is a pain in the back side, providing documents and taking selfies or videos of you with your id etc.

Did I consider the other smaller crypto currencies? no not for now, in my opinion they are copycats and from experience copycats never work as well as the original but will watch and see how they go.

Is it a pyramid scheme, well no not strictly as a pyramid works in a way where I would now refer you to buy bitcoin and I get a percentage of your wallet as well as a percentage of the wallet of everyone you refer in commission, eventually there is either no more bitcoins or no more people to refer and those first in go off laughing and those last in go off crying. I can't see that bitcoins is like that, it's like any commodity, people by and sell at different values.

bitcoin rose by over 40% in 2 days last week, then fell by almost 20% on the 3rd day
depending on what valuation site you look at,
therein lies another issue, different brokers value the currency differently

I still think its a type of pyramid scheme , albeit perhaps not in the traditional sense of one,
those currently at the top have got their coins really cheaply, those currently at the bottom have paid a much higher premium for their coins
will they rise enough for them to make it to the top, only time will tell,,,,
the difference is that you can cash out of the bitcoin pyramid at any stage, you dont have to wait until you get to the top,
but, its value will only keep increasing while more people enter at the bottom,
why I liken it to a pyramid scheme

if it gets to the stage where all coins are successfully harvested, then perhaps the value will level out, and as someone else said, become a bit like gold, where the market will determine its price
but, until it becomes accepted normal currency, I cant see that ever happening, you are basically buying a line of code,
the only people I see as having any real benefit from this sort of thing are people that need to hide money, and move it anonymously
oh, and the people that charge commission to allow you to buy or sell your share in the line of code,

in all honesty, as I said earlier, I can see the price hitting a certain level, then all the big stakeholders will offload what they have for an enormous profit,
the market will be flooded and its value will plummet, almost as if the bank of england had just printed and gave a 1 million pound note to everyone in the country, the £ would be almost worthless overnight, if the market is flooded with currency it becomes devalued, [ hyper inflation ]

the blockchain technology is pretty radical. that every transaction is public and verifiable means the idea is going to be applied to any field where tracking value is desirable. contracts, property deeds, insurance payouts, licensing - it can cut out the middle man, prevent fraud and make processes so much more efficient.

etherium for example may not actually end up being a digital coin. its blockchain is so versitile its not outside them realms of possibility that people will buy ether just to have access to the system. one insurance company has already set up a system on the blockchain that automatically credits signed up policy holders when their flights are delayed by 2hrs+. no submissions, no brokers, no cross checking. the flight data is linked to the blockchain and when triggered payment is delivered via the blockchain and is verifiable for all to see. no fraudulent claims, no get out clauses.

it's this sort of thing that is fuelling interest in bitcoin and other offerings. the potential is huge in a world where everything is done on line. its an incredibly viable and secure system. and its why people are genuinely excited and evangelical. the speculators and get-rich-quick chasers are in for a burn when the inevitable cliff edge comes. but the technology and ethos is for sure here to stay.

I have pennies in a few,
merely as speculation,

I dont see any as a proper investment tbh
I never put anything in bitcoin [ much to my regret ] as I seen it as a dodgy investment
not that the rest are much better, i just seen them as more stable

Back