Brainwashed???

the reaper

VIP Member
Why is it that so many people are dumping the Murdoch muppet show [sky] then popping up and asking for sky like skins and epg's?
They all say they dislike sky and its antics,charges etc but all want sky. Why? there are hundreds of non--sky channels out there, bit of research and a moving dish and voila---entertainment abounds. Sky is not the be all, end all.
Reaper.

I take a different look at it m8, for me Sky is the best thing that happened to our tv, can remember when we just had ITV/BBC, (old sod, yes lol) so been looking at sky from the old 16 channel boxes but never paid, so we need the nutters paying £100+ ? or we would have none ?

I found Sky on the very first day when it appeared upside down on the screen as Thames Television.
I was pirating Filmnet in those days. Got rather sick of watching Bonanza and Wagon train lol. Then the fight started with Mudoch mafia and Marco Polo brigade---sky won the battle and programmes became fairly good until hundreds of little companies jumped onto the sat showing repeat after repeat. Now sky shows more repeats than ITV or Beeb, hence a motorized dish and the nightly quest for entertainment.
Reaper.

i have a 1m motor but rarely use it since the days of wall to wall 3pms a few years ago.

now that you can easily get the hd streams from nbc etc i dont really bother with it.

not that i watch much tv anyway ;-)

Yep---twiddle the knob Lol---then SATV then eventually sky.
The best was Bravo showing crap B movies every nite.
Whoops----showing our agelol
Reaper.

Going back to the original post, people love sky, the sky box, the skin and everything about it except the price.

Now if we turn it to a different example and we all had diesel cars, one guy makes his own fuel from chip fat and this costs him 10p a litre to produce instead of the £1.10p per litre at the nice pump. Once a few of his mates learn about this they start doing the same and are happy.

Now word spreads from village to village, town to town, website to website and everyone wants a go. Queue the band wagon, trumpets, drums, flute the lot.... they love the idea of 10p per litre and using old chip fat but they want it to come out of a pump just like the one charging £1.10. They don't like hand pumping it, they want it just like the real thing.

One chap, let's call him Kiddac, had the skills to build a petrol pump just like the real thing and the people flocked to use it. They can buy this chap a beer if they want to, but he did it for the love of it and because he could.

There are the original box people, like your reaper and other old timers who have known about this for years and are happy with the skybox and successors but enter Jo Blogs, his mate has a mate and his mate has a box just like sky but it isn't. He wants it to look like sky, so does his mate and his mate too.

Progression, don't like change and the misses will love it are the reasons behind it.

Last edited:
I do understand what you are saying but sorry Reaper I think you've been doing the lines/skybox thing too long to see why people like the sky look to boxes :) and that's said with massive respect for you mate

Its not that I "hated sky" but just didn't like the price increase every few months so switched it off and moved to lines, that said the "sky look and feel" is just something I got used to and even though there are many skins all done by hard working people its still the sky themes I go for, not for any reason other than its what I spent years getting used to.

I personally think for 99% of new users getting a sky theme just takes the "learning curve" down, you spend all that time learning to set them up you just don't want to learn a new look either so stick with whats known, what feels safe to people and that's the sky themes and why Kiddac's theme is so popular.

Getting too complicated now lol.
I only started this thread because I was bored with people saying I don't want sky but I want sky on a box that looks like sky.
Now wooshie turns up and starts university challenge.
Expect wheelo, buckham and benijofar next----bring on the nooseLOL
Reaper.

Cheeky sod Mr BW lol keep looking over your shoulder for the old man in the black sheet with a bloody great scythe.
Reaper.

Always mate, just remember when you come for me I'm going out kicking and screaming unless there is ice-cream then I'll go quietly lol

Reaper......I couldn't give a monkeys whether it looks like Sky or not to be honest.
I dumped them back in 2000 and have been using whatever was available since.
I was happy with openboxes for a few years but due to their limitations in use , i moved on to other boxes.
I have tried Vix and Openatv.
I have run builds/skins by mtpockets/kiddac and have finally settled on Wooshbuild.
Apart from the fun of tinkering, i need a box to behave and be easy to use by the missus.
It's all part of the fun in the twilight of retirement....lol

Feck sake, I only put a skin on recently, I have never had SKY in the house, and always found it difficult to navigate in families houses.

Don't worry Reaper, I got your back. LOL

That's cos with all that crap weather you have over there, you can't see any sky through the clouds !...lol

Well I am glad you all get to watch tv on your satellite boxes. I bought mine last august and never really watched it since. I think I have watched less than an hour a week trying to keep you horrible lot happy with these skins ;)

Why is it that so many people are dumping the Murdoch muppet show [sky] then popping up and asking for sky like skins and epg's?
They all say they dislike sky and its antics,charges etc but all want sky. Why? there are hundreds of non--sky channels out there, bit of research and a moving dish and voila---entertainment abounds. Sky is not the be all, end all.
Reaper.

I want the sly skin so my misses has half a clue how to use my h2s, she don't want me to get rid of my "proper" sly sub.

It will be a easier transition for her.

As for the motorised dish, i expect lots of people are in the same boat as me, shared dish,living in a flat with no garden.

I'm not allowed to lob a massive motorised dish on the side of the building.

Last edited:
Back