Buffer Issues VM

Hi guys,

I only been with VM 10 days, 7 of which I was away. I never used VPN before, there was no need for it. Since last night I got express VPN as it was already installed on my formuler. I am connected to
another UK location and since then I was able to finish England match last night without buffering. I am going to stay connected to vpn from now on and see what happens tonight. No doubt in my mind VM is the issue here as every channel buffered with 3 different providers Never had this and as soon as I connected to my hotspot it stopped.

Getting 1 gig should’ve been more than enough to cope with iptv. There may just be my partner watchcing netflix upstairs during this “peak time”. I am considering leaving VM as I am still within my cooling off period. I was with Vodafone before 500mbps and never experienced this.

Thanks

I'm with @Ferret. here. Throttling should only really be noticed on iptv if it is dropping below 20mbps. Definitely turn off virgin media Web safe too
I would say your problem is more down to drop outs on the hub 5. Their router is poor. The next day it starts acting up at peak time run a few speed tests and look at the logs in your router
That way you can see if it's your providers who are suffering at peak times rather than your internet

Vm dont call it throttling 😏😏😏 its actually traffic management 🤣🤣🤣 but yeah it basically levels out bandwith demand in each area and especially high traffic area's.
Theres 16 houses on my street where i live and up until last year when the new high speed fibre was installed on the BT exchange, 14 of those were all on VM so traffic bandwith was extremely high and as soon as the clock struck 19.00pm the speed almost halved 😤😤😤😤.
You could try hooking up another router and try that with the VM 5 in hub mode but i fear it wont make a great deal of difference.

Hi,
Ended up cancelling VM, Today was my last day within cooling off period speaking to them they did say that the issue could be to the fact that there’s at least 6 vm on my street. They offered sending enginner out etc but I didnt want to go that route. Can someone share their experince with other ISP eg if u with sky does it slow u down between 7-10.

Thanks

Hi,
Ended up cancelling VM, Today was my last day within cooling off period speaking to them they did say that the issue could be to the fact that there’s at least 6 vm on my street. They offered sending enginner out etc but I didnt want to go that route. Can someone share their experince with other ISP eg if u with sky does it slow u down between 7-10.

Thanks
I would have a go with BT !
You usually get a good deal as a new customer, also the router is one of the premium models compared to others.
I never or never will get your expected speeds but the speeds I get never seem to fluctuate during nights or weekends

I would have a go with BT !
You usually get a good deal as a new customer, also the router is one of the premium models compared to others.
I never or never will get your expected speeds but the speeds I get never seem to fluctuate during nights or weekends

Thanks

I am in 2 minds between BT and Zen.

Hi,

Thanks

Is there a reason you left Voda? Might be worth going back to them if you didn't have issues.

People will say talktalk are rubbish, but when Ive used them, have been pretty decent. Always got around the 150mb I paid for...

People will say talktalk are rubbish, but when Ive used them, have been pretty decent. Always got around the 150mb I paid for...
Wait untill you have a problem then see what happens even trying to get them to send out bt engineer was a nightmare, and if you do not do all the tests they require and engineer finds fault due to problems on your side they send you the bill. Fortunately that did not happen to me but after years of trying to get anything more than 19mb I eventually gave up when virgin fibre came into my area I got it straight away.

19:20 Tonight it started again not connected to vpn ( disconnected it at 18:00) just ethernet to my formuler. Started to buffer again all
channels!

Connected to UK location using Express VPN my speed went from 900 mbps ethernet to 160 mbps on vpn (ethernet still plugged in) but it stopped buffering.
This express vpn seem to work for me even though I never really trusted it before. I do now.

Furthermore I realised I can still connect to my old provider (Vodafone ) as they hvent disconnected my line yet. I connected to my old Network (Vodafone) Disconnected Express vpn and no buffer.

My take from this is that Vpn really works on iptv just need to find the right one that works for you (not free). Also if you have 10 VM customers on your street you may experience this issue as me.

Thank You all for your replies!

Wait untill you have a problem then see what happens even trying to get them to send out bt engineer was a nightmare, and if you do not do all the tests they require and engineer finds fault due to problems on your side they send you the bill. Fortunately that did not happen to me but after years of trying to get anything more than 19mb I eventually gave up when virgin fibre came into my area I got it straight away.
Thats usually because they think you a numpty. Of course you'll get charged if you don't do the tests and it's something in your property that's the issue...

I had more issues with BT, when they were unable to install the line that they said they were going to install even though the line was already there. Just needed engineer to plug in at exchange, yet "their system couldn't allow it"...

End of day, they all work off same system (almost). So all virtually same as each other. Just the policies behind the systems that cause the throttling etc. And if you not technical, you may want someone who can help you with technical issues. But OP doesn't sound like he'd have these issues...

19:20 Tonight it started again not connected to vpn ( disconnected it at 18:00) just ethernet to my formuler. Started to buffer again all
channels!

Connected to UK location using Express VPN my speed went from 900 mbps ethernet to 160 mbps on vpn (ethernet still plugged in) but it stopped buffering.
This express vpn seem to work for me even though I never really trusted it before. I do now.

Furthermore I realised I can still connect to my old provider (Vodafone ) as they hvent disconnected my line yet. I connected to my old Network (Vodafone) Disconnected Express vpn and no buffer.

My take from this is that Vpn really works on iptv just need to find the right one that works for you (not free). Also if you have 10 VM customers on your street you may experience this issue as me.

Thank You all for your replies!
One thing I remember someone who I knew at virgin telling me... If you have issues and complain, they usually send an engineer out to the area. In the boxes, they have a priority system, whereby the top x lines get top priority, the ones below a little less, etc etc. When people complain you move you to top. Then, as more people complain, they move them to top. As new customers join, the out them to top. So after so long, you will have bad connection, until u next complain. And so the cycle continues...

Not sure if still true nowadays, but defo was a few years back!

Thats usually because they think you a numpty. Of course you'll get charged if you don't do the tests and it's something in your property that's the issue...

I had more issues with BT, when they were unable to install the line that they said they were going to install even though the line was already there. Just needed engineer to plug in at exchange, yet "their system couldn't allow it"...

End of day, they all work off same system (almost). So all virtually same as each other. Just the policies behind the systems that cause the throttling etc. And if you not technical, you may want someone who can help you with technical issues. But OP doesn't sound like he'd have these issues...
Yes well eventually bt engineer found what he thought was the fault he said mice may have damaged cable under floor so he just connected me the next doors line did not help it was actuall distance from house to main box.

Yes well eventually bt engineer found what he thought was the fault he said mice may have damaged cable under floor so he just connected me the next doors line did not help it was actuall distance from house to main box.
So doesn't matter who you go with if standard broadband, as distance from house to box will affect them all... So can't say talktalk fault, lol

So doesn't matter who you go with if standard broadband, as distance from house to box will affect them all... So can't say talktalk fault, lol
I know that I was talking about their service it took almost a year before they even got engineer out.

Back