Car Log Book

Linny40

TK LADY VETERAN
Need some advice peeps

Just looked at a car for my son - great car and only 2 problems than i can see, 1 of which id like advice on.

car tax is out of date by 1 YEAR, no service on car since 2005 ( or none that i can see that has bene recorded. It has ALL MOT certs. Car is a 52 plate ( NOV 2002)
thats not the problem

LOG book is NOT in his name but still in name of previous owner. The fella has owned the car about a year, so if its not been registered in his name does that cause a problem.

How can he have insured or taxed it?? I have done one of those check where you send reg no to a text and had stuff back giving correct VIN number,saying no record of it being stolen or scrapped, so car sounds good but its the details on the log book that worry me

should i be worried???

he could of been risking driving without tax linny, insurance can be done online no proof needed, once you change the details you should be fine (don`t forget i had my plates stolen and waiting for the fun to start) just keep his addresse and number if you have problems so you can give them to plod.
whats the MOT on the car.

He has most of the MOTs for the car and they all look ok got MOT for 2005, 2007-2010
its just the name on the log book that im worried about

the police station might be a good place to start, just to make sure that it wasn't dodgy. legally, he can't sell the car to you if it is not his, but that is just a technicality.

well ive paid out money this afternoon doing various checks and all SEEMS ok, its not stolen etc. It did have a plate change but now back to origional plate. last registered keeper was changed in 2005 - which fits in with the log book. and thats when the plate was changed back to original plate. He has a receipt stating he purchased car back in Oct 09 and tax ran out end of oct 09 - He says its been garaged for some time and it was in a garage when we went to see it
Its probably me being paranoid but id rather be safe than sorry and loose over 2K

its just why didnt he change the name of the keeper on the log book when he bought it???thats what baffles me.
When we ring him back later tonight im going to ask him 2 things 1) where is services history - hes got service book but nothing in it since 2005, strange, but it as MOTS going back from 2010 -to 2007 then 1 missing then one for 2005 - which would have been 1st MOT and 2) why he dint bother to change keeper. Log book has a miss XXX and receipt for when he bought car is a mrs XXX - ok so same address on both so lady married, but even she didnt re register car in her new name - but that i can understand as people do forget. But why he didnt is a mystery. I know he said he has been using company vehicles for a while so did he buy it, not have time to use it, and put it in the garage and just forget to change details, or buy tax etc.
As said all the checks ive done - which ive had to pay for have come back all positive and car is a bit over priced compared to what it says its worth - so its not as if its being sold cheap.

Im going to make him an offer - once im happy with what he says. Its up for £2500 - going to offer £2000 - think thats fair as it has no tax or service history. If he accepts, THEN just got to worry about the dreaded insurance lol!
Ive given myself a blooming headache worrying about buying this stupid car lol!
I now know why we got to a Toyota garage to get ours lol!

well all seems well and the reasons guy gave sound plausible. so off to the bank today .............................thats the bit i dont like lol! oh and sorting out the insurance

How are you Linny.Sorry i could not offer you any help about car.I am keeping an eye on this thread,
in hope that everything works out for you Linny.Keep us updated on how things are.Can only say i pray and hope to god,that all is well with the car.God Bless Linny;)

aww thanks Ally.

well an update. Bought car, finally got a months insurance and 6 months tax. So car is legal. He said he was going to send off log book and gave us a part of it, which is how i managed to tax it. Now just need son to pass his test later this month :)
here is a couple of photos of te car before we bought it. Its now sitting outside my door
76c82866.jpg

e93ee4b5.jpg

looks very clean motor linny, best of luck to your son on his test, and also to all of you with this new car

Nice looking car linny, the best of luck to your son with his new car, may it bring him many years of safe motoring ;)

Just got to get the thing started now LOL went to jump it but it sparked n smoke started coming off car - looked and leads were rusty and damaged. Well ive had them in my car for years n never needed em lol! So waiting for either one of his mates or a neighbour to come come.

So glad to hear all the legal part with car is ok Linny.And by pics of car, looks to be in good order.
Hope everything works out for you,and dont worry Son will pass driving test with flying colours.Keep us updated on progress.God Bless Linny(y)

Hes now actually driven it lol! his mate came to jump start it and we drove it round the block a few times then i took him to a car park so he could "play" so hes happy now that he has driven it - which hopefully will help him want to pass his test.

Yes just got to wait now for Log book to arrive here in his name. It could take a few weeks, so i'll probably still worry a bit until its back, but yes its taxed insured without a problem so as far as im concerned its legal!
Last time we bought a car privately was about 15-17 yrs ago and hubby bought it for me so he dealt with it all. This has been quite stressful looking at it and trying to make sure its all good. Good thing is now everything you need is on the net, its cost me about £30-£40 to get the checks dont but its peace of mind. And i would urge anyone who is thinking about buying a used to to at least use the text number for £1.50 & £4.50 for peace of mind.

I know the saying is if it looks to good or sounds to good then walk away, BUT you have to trust your gut instinct. So lets hope mine was right lol!
oh ps its haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaard work driving a Manuel lol when you have driven an auto for about 15 yrs lol!

hi if the car you are buying is not in the owners name it could cause you problems ie parking tickets, speeding fines etc could be on finance could be previously damaged and recorded so be ware

aww thanks Ally.

well an update. Bought car, finally got a months insurance and 6 months tax. So car is legal. He said he was going to send off log book and gave us a part of it, which is how i managed to tax it. Now just need son to pass his test later this month :)
here is a couple of photos of te car before we bought it. Its now sitting outside my door
http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o127/lizardlover_2007/76c82866.jpg
http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o127/lizardlover_2007/e93ee4b5.jpg

i have a car like this as well Linny40.. good taste :)

corsa's are just so damn good lol

hi if the car you are buying is not in the owners name it could cause you problems ie parking tickets, speeding fines etc could be on finance could be previously damaged and recorded so be ware

Thanks, i have done various checks on car and no comeback its clear on finance, and as its been in a garage for about a year cant see there being any parking tickets, but thanks for your advice

The key fob was a bit worn so rang Vauxhall - total rip off they wanted £40 for a new remote THEN £40 to reprogram it.So i checked on ebay and saw this
CarKey.jpg

Not my picture or key "borrowed" it from they guy on ebay

so rang the guy ( P and D Keys) got reassurance and paid him via paypal ( about £20) sent fobremote ( not key blade) away monday and got it back today, popped remote back onto key blade and all Fully working, all i had to do was resync key all for less than £20

Back