Considering A Change...

Hi,

Very new to all this, but I am looking at getting a satellite box to replace by current Sly/Kodi combination. Hoping someone can help me out with my newbie questions.

- I receive a max of 2Mbps download speeds which makes streaming very difficult, particularly with live sport. Will I have the same issue with a Satellite box as I believe they also require an internet connection?

- Am I better off doing a DIY job or going through a seller? I am fairly tech savvy, so it is easily accomplished by following online guides? I have read (albeit through the sellers themselves) that I would be better with a seller due to the ongoing support.

- How error prone are the sat boxes? Is there a huge difference in performance/reliability compared to Sky boxes? I'd be looking to get a mid-range box. I've seen pros and cons for the Zgemma's.

- How reliable are the servers (or should I say lines?). With Kodi I am sick of losing connection whilst watching a football match due to the servers being overloaded. Is this the same with a satellite box? I have read on here that servers don't seem to last? Is this something I would need to change on a regular basis?

- I am aware that Sly content is only available in SD, but someone has mentioned that this also now the case for BT Sport. Is there any truth in this?

- 2 sellers I have seen have mentioned an option to download IPTV for football and latest movies (think they were selling a Zgemma box). Would this work in exactly the same was as Kodi? i.e. would I have the same issue with buffering given my terrible download speed? Is this also something that could easily be added on if I did go down the DIY route?

Sorry for all the basic questions. Would really appreciate any advice.

Thanks
Dan

your posting is very clear with every thing you require ,will try and answer some of your questions

1 your broadband speed is more than enough to run a box via card sharing gift/line ect
2 the box only uses around 1 gb per month running your box to decrypt the channels
3 all channels are only available in sd except for freeview
4 i run a huge amount of zgemma boxes without any issues at all but there is a new edison on the market which is worth a look
5 there is huge support on this forum for zgemma and that would be something worth thinking about
6 as for a gift just post in the required section and stick with vip or veteren members who have been on the forum for 12 months or more and you will find what you are looking for but i must say there are a couple of new vets on the forum that are great help,the one sounds like a killer spider

Last edited:
If you want movies I would maybe wait a bit as sky have just announced the rebranding of their movies service with hd as standard at no extra cost which makes me think the movie channels will go hd only so won't be receivable via card sharing

If you want movies I would maybe wait a bit as sky have just announced the rebranding of their movies service with hd as standard at no extra cost which makes me think the movie channels will go hd only so won't be receivable via card sharing
Not strictly true really as you know due to having just posted in the other thread: http://www.techkings.org/general-satellite-discussion/97100-goodbye-sly-movies.html#post544855 Petrol will run out at some point but I am not going to stop buying a car because of it. Maybe everyone can actually get factual info on this topic before posting "I read that....", "well I read that...." The link above gives details from Sky's FAQ's, not bob the builders sky mate.

Danhenshy, leslie has given sound advice and an upgrade to one of the boxes his mentions will not disappoint. You will find a load of threads which discuss (argue) over which box is best etc etc, but to be fair it does depend on budget, what you are after and so on but they all do the same thing pretty much. If you want a box to start off with for a nice price, again, leslie mentioned both. A twin sat tuner box and away you go.

Last edited:
It is a point to consider for someone who is only now just thinking of getting a box there is a chance that movies could go in the near future and if that's important to the poster then I think it's worth letting the uninformed know so they can make an informed decision, I personally do think by the end of the year movies will have gone and sports to follow. I would be going down the cable route or just negotiate a better deal from sky..

I think 1554lesie has give solid advice to you DanHenshy, you woudl be wise to heed his words.

I also agree with Wooshman on the skymovies issue, I personally can't seem stopping on lines and with the money you would save each month not paying the murdoch clan its worth the risk.

Eddison OS Mini = £99 + a 64GB USB Stick = £20 and a line at £35-£50 for the year that's only £170 max, so basically less than 2 months sly subscription for all the channels. This way after 2 months your laughing and your wife and kids are enjoying the extra money each month lol

Or as sky are giving out codes for everything for 12 months at £30 a month with hd maybe not, would still go with a cable box or a negotiated deal but then What do I know

I would like to see a £30 for everything deal for 12 months. Please share this with us.

Sports and movies too for £30 for 12 months? lovely, I will have some of that please, where do I sign?

For less that £8 a month on top of a basic subscription Sky are not going to give you all of the extra stuff for 12 months. If I am wrong I will eat my words and apologise profusely.

They do this every year as nearing end of their financial year so looks good for the report. A guy in my work haggled something like that out today actually with one of the salesmen that appear in your local shopping centre.

MSE usually run out of codes quick.

50percent off Sky TV for 12 months for Virgin Media customers when joining online

£43 a month for 12 months

Add more channels
Chelsea TV+£7 a month Chelsea TV
Liverpool TV+£7 a month Liverpool TV
MUTV+£7 a month MUTV

For £12 extra a month, Sky Multiscreen per box - I have 4 boxes running
£10 set-up cost and 12 months minimum subscriptions apply.

Not quite £30.a month.

Oh, I also saw in small print that a 12 or 18month subscription may be required but I could no find any more about it, just that.

So to have what I have in my house now would cost me £122 a month. x 12 = £1,344 for the year. Even for the lowest cost is £516 a year.

Zgemma £75 delivered
line £25
usb stick £10
£110 for a year for all channels

So sky movies only have to last 3 months and I am quids in and also have a twin freesat box for my trouble. Movies gone? OK I will load IPTV Player from the plugins on my box.

This is what makes post #3 bad advice because waiting a few months could be money paid to sly when it cold have gone on a box and line. It is also what makes post #7 misleading information as it isn't £30 a month any more. I am not saying it wasn't, but it isn't now

I haven't posted the above to create friction as I am still in "nice mode" and I don't do that anymore.... well, not all the time, but we do need to all start singing from the same hymn sheet when giving advice.

Last edited:
£43 per month is more than I pay per year for all the channels, lol. I can live without HD for the price I'm paying :)

Your internet speed will be fine to clear the channels, if your after a zgemma then get one from the forum sponsors and wack wooshbuild on it, follow his guide and you'll be up and running in no time, in regards to a line post here http://www.techkings.org/general-sa...ecommend-good-server-satellite-june-only.html
Ask for a few tests first any good supplier will give you one and try a few before you find one your happy with.
In regards to hd you will only clear sd on sly with the exception of freeview and a handful of pay channels, if you can get cable in your area consider a sat/cable combo box as you can still clear hd on virmin, virmin lines are a bit more expensive then a sly line and you will need 2 separate lines for sat and cable to get the full range of channels. In regards to iptv you can use the plugin included in wooshbuild called iptv player for latest films and box sets which is free to use, if you want live streams then I would get a dedicated android/now tv streaming box to get iptv or plex, you will pay another sub which will be quite a bit more expensive then a line but it will piss all over kodi if you find a good supplier and you will get all the steams in hd Including all the 3pm's PPV etc, I've found zgemma's and enigma 2 in general (with the exception of the more expensive powerful boxes) not very good for streaming live iptv especially in hd.
Which ever you decide and whatever your budget once your set up you will see how much better and reliable this is compared to kodi, sit back and relax and start counting all the coin your saving by not lining Murdoch, Branson and there puppets pockets!
Use the forum with any problems you encounter along the way, the support here is second to none and you will be fine.

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice guys.

Leaning towards an OS mini as I believe these are combo boxes? Hopefully when Virgin pull their finger out and put cable in my area I'd then be able to take advantage of more HD.

I'd also be connecting via wifi due to my home set up, so the built in wifi would be handy.
Assuming I still wouldn't have problems clearing channels even with my 2mbps download speeds?

A few people have suggested a USB stick for recording, I've read on a few other threads that I'd be better if with a 3.0 external HDD as I wouldn't get lip sync issues.
Assuming this isn't necessary if some of you guys are using USB sticks without any issue?

Finally one of the sellers I've seen on facebook is advertising the fact that all PPV events would be included. Would this be the case with the majority of lines?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Oh and one other thing I wanted to ask.

Am I likely to see the same build up of cache on a satellite box which over time will slow the box down, like with Kodi?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

I wouldn't use Wi-Fi if I was you, if you can't connect the box directly to your router then get a pair of homeplugs, this will be just as good. A 2mb connection should be fine too, the line data is very small and lots of users across the forum have reported stable viewing on slower speeds.

As for PPV events, that's something you would need to ask the line provider, mine does but some don't and its only Sky Sports Box Office events like WWE, boxing etc I've seen not the Movies box office.

A USB stick for recording should be fine, I use one and don't have any issues

Say away from Ebay, Facebook sellers, get your box from WoS directly and request a line from this forum, look for any VIP and Vets who contact you regarding lines not members who don't contribute to the forum or have little to no post history.

Putting your box in standby should clear the memory, if you fine it slows due to too much zapping then a reboot will sort it but you'll find its OK.

I wouldn't use Wi-Fi if I was you,
Sound advice, but then you are back to the question of is it worth spending the extra money on an Edision! If you want a combo Zgemma you just get the H2H version. I don't know the price difference of the H2S and the Edision twin though.

I have never heard of sync issues using USB, but I am new still though and have only used a couple of boxes but never had the issue. I also use a HDD on my main box which gives a faster response due to it's speed.

Edited because I put H2S instead of H2H.

The Zgemma H2S is a twin sat box where as the H2H is a 1 x sat, 1 x cable box. which is what I think you are looking for?

Last edited:
Back