Considering A Change...

I wouldn't use Wi-Fi if I was you,

What's your reasoning here Blackwidow? I use wifi and have no issues at all even streaming via IPTV on the Edison. For decoding of sat/cable the box only uses very low Mbytes of data so there will be no bottle-neck there.
For IPTV providing you have a decent source and >2Mbps broadband then you will be fine but again comes down to range between receiver and router just like any other wifi device. Then again, if you use a wifi extender then that too won't be a problem.

Wi-Fi isn't as stable as ethernet, you can get drop-outs or interference from other electrical devices resulting in glitching and freezing, streaming IPTV is not the same as a line as the IPTV buffers to your box to allow for variance in speed and connection but a line doesn't buffer like a video stream and so is more susceptible to dropouts etc.

You'll find most poeple will say to use ethernet or homeplugs before wi-fi

I agree with what you say regarding ethernet->homeplugs->wi-fi but that is in terms of speed rather than functionality.

Stability comes down to many factors but not in an established technology.
In case of the edison boxes I have setup via wifi (and there are loads) there have not been issues with wi-fi.

Speed isn't important when it comes to lines only stability and even though newer boxes may include a better Wi-Fi now, many still run less reliable Wi-Fi by the means of cheap wi-fi dongles and poor ISP routers so the "accepted" advice is Wi-Fi as a last choice.

With the new Edision box I'm sure the Wi-Fi is very good, if its a 5GHz wireless then great and coupled with a more recent router I'm sure its solid and very stable which is a good thing, it would make it a great box in a different room like the bedroom as adding homeplugs on top of the box is not nice so that woudl be a extra bonus for purchase.

You will have to post some feedback in a month or so to let other know how its performed over time on a wi-fi only connection, I for one would be interested how it holds out :)

With the edison it has a built in wifi option on the box which will make it far more stable than using a dongle type device

Back