Electric Vehicles - Any Opinions??

I've never had one but there was a phone-in on the radio the other day on this subject.
One chap had a diesel and a full EV car.
He doesn't bother with the ev so much now due to a few reasons.
300 miles is a maximum, like he said, during cold, wet weather with the heater and wipers/lights on you can half that.
Public chargers often don't work or there's not enough of them, he said it's ok for running around towns/cities but no good for long journeys or for driving in rural areas, not many villages have charging points.
This may change over the next few years but up to now it's hit and miss WRT charging points
I must admit a few months ago I was coming up the M1 and stopped at a services, they had about half a dozen chargers all coverred up with a notice saying out of order due to not enough power available or something like that.

90% of our driving is local, we can have a home charger fitted as well so there should be no reason for us to leave home without it being fully charged and also the wife can use chargers at work. Once every couple of months we do a 350 mile round trip and that's why I was concerned but I've found out there is a GridServe EV charging forecourt with about 2 dozen chargers about 10 miles from the destination, so apart from on a really shitty day we should be able to do the trip down, charge and then get back without the worry. We don't really do any other 100+ mile trips unless we're going away somewhere.

Stay away from mini"s.. I have had mine 11 months cooper S. Caron loves it as free charging at work. It has cost £6.00 in charge fees, but range is atrocious. BMW say 150 miles to a charge. More likely 110. I have been recovered 3 times by our friends at AA
I have reverted back to
x trail.. Swopped with caron

Attachments

• IMG_20221029_122718.jpg
    IMG_20221029_122718.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 17
  • 20230727_145345.jpg
    20230727_145345.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 16
Last edited:
i had a zoe now since november and i love it, its cost me nothing to run. 1kW is 15.051p from home and i do 99.95 of my charging there. i could only afford an older zoe, so it does 75miles. but it does 95% of my driving. would i like a bigger range, yea but they cost to much money. maybe a mg zs at some stage

Have one at work but not great tbh . Says it will do 290 miles on a full charge but in the summer turn on the air con, charge your phone and use the radio and this drops to probably 175 miles and in the winter that drops even more to about 140 and it is forever on charge. Not had and faults with it but with the price of electric and what you actually pay for the car I can't see how it can possible save you money. I think hybrid would probably be the way to go. I know if you ever need to replace the batteries on these it will cost you an absolute fortune and anything with that many batteries somewhere down the line they are going to fail.

Last edited:
I had a Peugeot Partner Electric Van on Trial for a month and it was terrible fully charged it showed a range of 100 miles but really was doing around 60 miles a lot of uphill driving in my area

Have one at work but not great tbh . Says it will do 290 miles on a full charge but in the summer turn on the air con, charge your phone and use the radio and this drops to probably 175 miles and in the winter that drops even more to about 140 and it is forever on charge. Not had and faults with it but with the price of electric and what you actually pay for the car I can't see how it can possible save you money. I think hybrid would probably be the way to go. I know if you ever need to replace the batteries on these it will cost you an absolute fortune and anything with that many batteries somewhere down the line they are going to fail.
I don't buy the car outright, it's more like a lease for 3 years (Motability), I have had a self charging Hybrid for last 3 years, which I loved and really don't want to let it go but have to and can't get another one as it's not available on the scheme. The lease on it has ended and I've extended it for another year but the lead times on new cars is quite long at the moment so got to start looking/order now. So things like the battery failing isn't a major concern as it's coverred by my monthly payment.

I don't see the point of a plug in hybrid, maybe I'm missing something, but once you've used the battery the combustion engine has to carry that extra weight which can't be economical.

If I go full leccy then my deposit is far higher than if I went for petrol, but in theory the running cost savings should cover that (Unless leccy prices jumps up again and petrol drops) I worked out for a 72kwh it would cost me about £21 to fully charge at home and the manufacturer claims 320 miles, so lets say 250, or even if its as low as 210 to make maths easier, thats 10p mile. Compared to a tank of petrol costs me about £75 and the shows about 420 miles range when full so about 18p mile if the 420 was anywhere near accurate lol.

i had a zoe now since november and i love it, its cost me nothing to run. 1kW is 15.051p from home and i do 99.95 of my charging there. i could only afford an older zoe, so it does 75miles. but it does 95% of my driving. would i like a bigger range, yea but they cost to much money. maybe a mg zs at some stage
15p a KWH? ffs who is your energy provider? I'm paying just under twice that, 29.17p/kwh LOL

15p a KWH? ffs who is your energy provider? I'm paying just under twice that, 29.17p/kwh LOL
I don't buy the car outright, it's more like a lease for 3 years (Motability), I have had a self charging Hybrid for last 3 years, which I loved and really don't want to let it go but have to and can't get another one as it's not available on the scheme. The lease on it has ended and I've extended it for another year but the lead times on new cars is quite long at the moment so got to start looking/order now. So things like the battery failing isn't a major concern as it's coverred by my monthly payment.

I don't see the point of a plug in hybrid, maybe I'm missing something, but once you've used the battery the combustion engine has to carry that extra weight which can't be economical.

If I go full leccy then my deposit is far higher than if I went for petrol, but in theory the running cost savings should cover that (Unless leccy prices jumps up again and petrol drops) I worked out for a 72kwh it would cost me about £21 to fully charge at home and the manufacturer claims 320 miles, so lets say 250, or even if its as low as 210 to make maths easier, thats 10p mile. Compared to a tank of petrol costs me about £75 and the shows about 420 miles range when full so about 18p mile if the 420 was anywhere near accurate lol.

Octopus go bud they do a overnight tariff where the elec is 15p a KWH

My Personal opinion, We are not ready enough yet, not geared up in the UK for sure, there's some exciting stuff coming that will have a better range and a better voltage holding battery, some of the models and cars that are coming are incredible, China hold the playing cards for technology and advancement in this area Geely Geely - Wikipedia being so far ahead of the game, They own Lotus, Volvo and have stakes in Aston Martin, along with many others such as Polestar and Proton, They also own The famous Black London cab (London EV Company) https://levc.com/tx-taxi/overview/ and the range on them are getting better, The Theory behind the black cab currently being a Hybrid is a Taxi driver lives in outer London and uses mainly engine to drive into London for work and then the engine is turned off or switched over to the battery thus being greener in and around the centre of London from an emissions perspective, The cabs are expected to go FEV (Full electric Vehicle) in the not too far distant future.

I would go for an EV. There probably will be a time when you’re doing a long distance journey and you have to stop for 20 minutes or longer to charge up. However, you won’t have to spend any more time at the queuing to fill up.

I would go for an EV. There probably will be a time when you’re doing a long distance journey and you have to stop for 20 minutes or longer to charge up. However, you won’t have to spend any more time at the queuing to fill up.
When you have an EV people will understand getting to a destination is fine. Finding a charging point is hard. Range anxiety kind of gets exciting will you won't you situation. I am sure batteries for the future will improve, until then diesel/petrol all the way.

thinking same, if doing long journey and have to charge, plug in and by the time you've queued up to go for a pee, grabbed a drink etc you're charged and ready to go.
My Personal opinion, We are not ready enough yet, not geared up in the UK for sure, there's some exciting stuff coming that will have a better range and a better voltage holding battery, some of the models and cars that are coming are incredible, China hold the playing cards for technology and advancement in this area Geely Geely - Wikipedia being so far ahead of the game, They own Lotus, Volvo and have stakes in Aston Martin, along with many others such as Polestar and Proton, They also own The famous Black London cab (London EV Company) https://levc.com/tx-taxi/overview/ and the range on them are getting better, The Theory behind the black cab currently being a Hybrid is a Taxi driver lives in outer London and uses mainly engine to drive into London for work and then the engine is turned off or switched over to the battery thus being greener in and around the centre of London from an emissions perspective, The cabs are expected to go FEV (Full electric Vehicle) in the not too far distant future.
will we ever be ready tbh? this is the UK after all and we're never ready. I look forward to all these exciting new models but I can't see them being here any time soon.
When you have an EV people will understand getting to a destination is fine. Finding a charging point is hard. Range anxiety kind of gets exciting will you won't you situation. I am sure batteries for the future will improve, until then diesel/petrol all the way.
Ooh I love the idea or range anxiety, bit like when the petrol light comes on in a petrol/deisel car, will I make it to the next services? at least with petrol/deisel you know when you get to services there will be working pumps there.

im northern ireland and the company is clickengeryni

Is that just general charging points or the rapid chargers?

Charging when charger is broken take a life time to repair. I used a shell charger recently half way through charging it stopped. I have an app in the car it indice where, I can charge closet too. I prefer diesel if I am honest.

Not used home charger for month's. Go to use the charger, & it won't work

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230730_172316.jpg
    Screenshot_20230730_172316.jpg
    173.2 KB · Views: 16
Back