Emergency fuel in renault megane

peican1

Hi all, can anyone tell me please when my orange fuel light comes on, how many litres of fuel my 1998 Renault Megane has left?

dont wait for that light to come on as you are sucking up all the crap in the bottom of the tank,also remember pump is only in one position but petrol level varies with angle of vehicle.

I will try not to reach that level, but today I was caught out on a j3 - j31 queue on m25 in stop start and the orange light came on and was worried that I wouldnt have enough to get 20 miles to south mimms

You'll have more than enough to get 20 miles or so, most tanks would still have 4 to 8 liters left.
Try not to let the tank get that low, it's really bad for the fuel pump, it makes the pump work harder and it can burn out.

Thank you for the advice very helpful, I wasn't aware of the fuel pump issue you may have just saved it's life.............

keep in mind that the fuel in your tank acts as a coolant for the pump.the lower the level the less cooling for the pump.thats why they burn up.

When my reserve fuel light comes on it tells me there is aprox 40 miles left in tank ( changes as you drive depending on how flat up/downhill road is. ) They do say once light is on you have around 10 miles, which should be enough to get you to a fuel station.
To help stop some of the gunk Sedement in the bottom of the tank there are cleaners you can put in tank to help reduce this.
Must admit i dont trust it, so as soon as the reserve fuel light comes on i go to a garage and fill up!

Back