Ethernet cable does the CAT X make a difference

wr_uk

I have a zgemma S2 box currently connected via powerline. Everything works fine apart from it freezing sometimes it will go for about an hour or two without freezing then other times it will freeze as little as every 5-10 mins. So the guy who set it up advised using a direct ethernet connection from the hub rather than using the powerlines and going through the electrical system. The box and the code are working OK as he is running the exact same box and using the codes (lines) from the same place.

So I carefully installed the cable making sure not to damage it in the process this is the cable. 30m Black External Outdoor Network Ethernet Cable Cat5e 100% Copper RJ45 | eBay which runs through the through the ceiling in the loft, outside and down and through the wall into the living room. I plug it into the back of the box and it doesnt work, the box doesnt any network connection at all. I test the cable in the a laptop workes fine with around 80mbs down and 5 up and also test in the PS4, again works fine with similar results.

So I'm a bit stumped as to why the box is not picking up the network? could it possibly be that the box will only run with a CAT6 cable? I've used a CAT 5e. I tried to find out what cables are used to connect to my powerline but Ive no idea how to tell and it doesnt say anything on the cables.

Any help would be much appreciated

Thanks

Wayne

Looking at the cable it should work fine, seems a strange one, have you double checked network settings on the box? and given everything a reboot too inc. router?

yeah done the reboot many times. and I know all the network settings are correct because if I switch back over to the ethernet running through the powerlines the picture comes on straight away. I'm at a bit of a loss as to what to do.

yes rebooted the box. I go into menu>info>network and it show no network connection. I know the cable works too as ive tested it on a lap top & PS4. Reboot connected via the powerline and the network connection is there.

Cable cant be damaged as its working on some devices and not the box? Could it be interference? It runs on the outside of the house along side the ariel, Cable TV and an outdoor lighting electrical cable. but if this is the case why is it not effecting other devices?

By box do you mean the router? As it could be a DHCP issue with your router, that the lease see's the box through a different mac address using homeplugs....thats why I asked about your router but by saying box I am thinking the zgemma.
You have tested the internet connection at the box with a laptop?

Leave the new ethernet connected to both router and zgemma
Power off the box at the mains, power off the router at the mains for 10 secs, turn the router back on, when fully up and running then power on the zgemma, go to network in the box and reset the network connection

sorry when I say box I was refering to the satellite box. OK all powered off at main and back on. its rebooted. where do I reset the network connection on the box. and when you say box are you refering to the router or the zgemma box?

menu, set up, system, network, device set up, restart network.

---------- Post Merged at 10:40 AM ----------

Then do a network test in the same section

ok done that and its still the same no network connection
IMG_0779.jpg

---------- Post Merged at 10:51 AM ----------

on the network test it has no info coming up

Do you have a spare ethernet cable thats long enough to try without being tidy just for testing purposes? Just to see if it will work direct wired or even move the box closer to the router and try, just temporarily?

---------- Post Merged at 10:57 AM ----------

Also try re running the network wizard

the thing is I did exactly that before I installed the cable first time round just to make sure everything was working and it was. So when I plugged it in and it didnt work I though it must be damaged somewhere. Seemed to be OK and so tested the cable on laptop & PS4 which worked. which brings us up to where we are at at the moment.

Dont have a spare, long enough cable to test right now but that was going to be my next step. I'll get one ordered

Local pound/euro shop is where I get mine lol Did you rerun network wizard? Maybe the connections are dirty?

sorry... missed a step.. didnt actually start the test on the test network screen.

here what I see when I start the network test

IMG_0781.jpg

Ok, so you are actually connected to the router.....its just not assigning an IP address, can you log in to your router and look at connected devices?

---------- Post Merged at 11:37 AM ----------

Have you re-run network wizard???

yep reran network wizard but it. tried in both interface and in DCHP and a message flashes up then off screen again so quick its impossible to read. and nothing happens

in my router it shows no connection

Not sure what you mean by 'DHCP Lease' I'm with virgin and the router is a netgear superhub 2ac VMDG490

Back