Ethernet cable does the CAT X make a difference

Ok, log in to the superhub, go to advanced settings, scroll down to DHCP section, click on DHCP reservation, look and see if zgemma is listed.

---------- Post Merged at 12:01 PM ----------

Also the the IP lease table is at the bottom of the DHCP resevation page, check there for the zgemma

just looked into the lease table on my router and Ive found it. It does see the box which is connected on the ethernet

---------- Post Merged at 12:07 PM ----------

sorry my mistake unknow is not zgemma box its our CCTV. So just to confirm Zgemma is not showing up

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-09-30 at 11.59.08.jpg
    Screen Shot 2015-09-30 at 11.59.08.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:
Right so no IP being given to the box...mmmm, you could try assigning a static one to the zgemma and trying?

Yes, its in menu, set up, network, network set up, adapter settings, change use DHCP to no and it will then allow you to set up a static ip

OK set a static ip up rebooted everything and its still the same no connection

IMG_0782.jpgIMG_0783.jpgScreen Shot 2015-09-30 at 13.23.56.jpg

no sure what to do now as I think getting a new cable in theory wont make any difference.

Thanks for all you help anyway... much appreciated!

Get a cotton bud,

Spray some electrical cleaner or aftershave.

Then clean the network port on the back of the Zgemma box.

Long shot but it worked for me on a dreambox.

I don't think a new cable will work either lol If it was me I would reflash the box in its new location and set up again.

Put everything back to yes and clear the reservation in your router and rerun network wizard, post back what the network wizard reports

---------- Post Merged at 02:21 PM ----------

menu, set up, system, network, device set up, network wizard.

I'll give it a go later today but I'm guessing the port should be clean if the other ethernet cable that runs through my powerline connect to my network

I am having a 'similar' issue in trying to connect a zgemma via wifi to a virgin hub, an openbox worked without a problem yet the zgemma wont connect using the same wifi aerial dongle. I read on another thread to disable the 54g option - not sure what difference, if any, that would make to a non wireless connection though, but is it worth considering?

OK, UPDATE !

I managed to get the connection working by using an Ethernet cable, not sure though if its a crossover or simple through connection. I gave up on the wifi dongle !!

Last edited:
You need to plug the ethernet cable into the gigabit ethernet switch port on the router to allow the speed and bandwidth required for the box to work properly

You could try the homeplugs again. Are they in a multi socket or straight into the wall?

To work properly without problems they need to be straight into the wall plug. They should work without freeze then.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

You need to plug the ethernet cable into the gigabit ethernet switch port on the router to allow the speed and bandwidth required for the box to work properly

That is not correct, the box uses very little internet and certainly does not need a Gigabit port....that does raise another question and prod my old memory...I had it with a solo2 clone that would not work on any gigabit router or switch, that might be your problem as the homeplugs are not gigabit ports, can you try an ethernet 100mb switch plugged in to your router and then the zgemma lan cable in to that? As I have seen it where the boxes don't work in gigabit ports and there are 2 peeps with the same problem on the superhub with gigabit ports....

An old router set up as a switch/access point will do, its easy to do.....if you need instructions PM me and I will tell you how, but will need the old routers make and model.

Borrow one from argos? Make sure its not gigabit

cheers

1) try the cable work when plugged in to another device? (non gigabit device if you can)
2) zgemma work when plugged in with another cable?
3) reset the router to factory state (you will lose all settings)
4) reflash the zgemma
5) If these all fail try zgemma at another persons
6) if still no network activity on box then it may be a faulty socket

I have a zgemma S2 box currently connected via powerline. Everything works fine apart from it freezing sometimes it will go for about an hour or two without freezing then other times it will freeze as little as every 5-10 mins. So the guy who set it up advised using a direct ethernet connection from the hub rather than using the powerlines and going through the electrical system. The box and the code are working OK as he is running the exact same box and using the codes (lines) from the same place.

So I carefully installed the cable making sure not to damage it in the process this is the cable. 30m Black External Outdoor Network Ethernet Cable Cat5e 100% Copper RJ45 | eBay which runs through the through the ceiling in the loft, outside and down and through the wall into the living room. I plug it into the back of the box and it doesnt work, the box doesnt any network connection at all. I test the cable in the a laptop workes fine with around 80mbs down and 5 up and also test in the PS4, again works fine with similar results.

So I'm a bit stumped as to why the box is not picking up the network? could it possibly be that the box will only run with a CAT6 cable? I've used a CAT 5e. I tried to find out what cables are used to connect to my powerline but Ive no idea how to tell and it doesnt say anything on the cables.

Any help would be much appreciated

Thanks

Wayne

Hi,
just thought i let you know, i reckon its the cable from seller.
have the same problem as you and order the same cable off the seller,
just to let you know cable was faulty, no connection when hooked up.
one minute it was working then dead, notice when connected led light where cable connects to was going on and off then nothing, so not a good connection, tried cable on laptop and it was the same, so have ordered off someone else, as it seems is cables are not as good as he says.

i wanted to use it from router straight to the zgemma, as i said when it wouldn't work with the zgemma to router i connected it to laptop to router and it was still the same.
so have just ordered off another seller, see how that works

Hi

Just read post - I think you will find there have been a few issues with boxes not connecting through V Media's new routers ( superhubs ) had same issue with a v8s I put in for a friend earlier

Router cannot pick up/read the box DNS Settings VM DNS is not propagating correctly on router

Back