hdd and usb stick

marknewham

mpockets suggested using a flash drive and an external hdd separately on the zgemma - not tidy to have usb on the front so just wanted to use hdd to the rear this already has a load of stuff on it that i dont want to lose is it just plug and play or do i need to do some mounting etc?

You have to initialise the disk so will lose the data on it, USB recommended for PICONS and EPG data rather than spinning up the HDD everytime for EPG, I use a 500GB internal one with my VU SOLO2 with no issues.

Can you set up the hard disk as a NAS, ie leave connected to a raspberry pi or directly to your router? You could then mount to the network drive. A flash drive is still advisable for ABM and EPG data and picons due to the high number of data writes to the drive (long term may damage a traditional disk) and because the box will be able to access it quicker. Your networked HDD will still be fine to record onto if the shares are set up correctly.

Alternatively if you're using a desktop hard drive (ie with a mains plug) you should be ok to put a usb hub in the back and use both from the same port. I wouldn't do this with a non-powered hard disk though as the current demand on the back port may be too high (unless you use a powered usb hub).

Not sure about using your HDD without formatting, I suppose it depends how it was formatted originally; as a linux OS user all my drives get formatted Ext4 apart from the USB sticks used for flashing of course!

For mounting it's blue button, then mounts and you'll see the various options.

Don't forget you'll also need to change save locations so recorded stuff goes to the HDD and epg, picons etc go to the USB

Last edited:
think you can mount the external hdd to view stuff on it,pointless if you had to format it before using it lol

On the subject of recording how do I set something to record from the planner and then can I series link?

---------- Post Merged at 10:36 PM ----------

Press red record button and it just days add timer or add auto timer

Series link isn't as good as sly.... not sure if you have the autotimer plugin installed but think this is probably as good as it gets

sorry to hijack a thread, but im trying to add my external hdd to my zgemma s2, purely for recording purposes. im trying to mount it and it keeps saying
"Converting ext3 to ext4...
Error: A required tool (fsck.ext3) was not found"

any suggestions?

Sorry to jump in on an old thread guys but has anyone got any info on how to set it up so that my USB is used for EPG and my hdd is where my recordings alone will go... I can't figure out how to do it. I re-flashed my box and set up with the USB alone for everything assuming it would be easier to just 'add' hdd for recordings alone but I can't figure out how it's done.

Thought what im looking relates to this so rather than start a new thread I'd carry on this one. Cheers in advance guys.

"I think"
Plug in hdd and mount it
Then go to rec/timeshift/epg paths and make sure theyre all set correctly. If all good reboot and check did mounts change at all or still ok.

Series link isn't as good as sly.... not sure if you have the autotimer plugin installed but think this is probably as good as it gets

Do you really think that, MTP? I think it gives you MORE control than Sly's series link. I always used to set a series link then find it caught every repeat and old shows. On the ZG 2S at least I can specify the day and the time range to check for the programme. No recordings have failed me yet. It maybe not as simple to set (one button and thats it) but its very powerful and flexible.

Back