hdd and usb stick

are people foolish in using portable hdd when they can burn out your usb port on box,use a powered source then less chance of frying both.

"I think"
Plug in hdd and mount it
Then go to rec/timeshift/epg paths and make sure theyre all set correctly. If all good reboot and check did mounts change at all or still ok.

When using separate hard drives for recordings how do you access the recordings for playback?

I have set up a second hard drive and it is successfully recording, I can see the recordings via ftp but if I press file list on the remote control I only have access to the original USB drive and not the drive with recordings on.

"I think"
Plug in hdd and mount it
Then go to rec/timeshift/epg paths and make sure theyre all set correctly. If all good reboot and check did mounts change at all or still ok.

When using separate hard drives for recordings how do you access the recordings for playback?

I have set up a second hard drive and it is successfully recording, I can see the recordings via ftp but if I press file list on the remote control I only have access to the original USB drive and not the drive with recordings on.
Press yellow for location see if it's there

yellow is move file on my box, figured it out anyway. Pressed menu when on file list screen which gave me a secondary menu.

Thanks, someday I'll get the hang of these boxes!!

Please can somebody help, I bought a gamma-star 2s last week, the software was faulty so the guy came today to sort it. I have also bought a external hdd and asked him to put this onto box instead of much aller usb. When he returned the box is working fine but all the recordings are failing saying '/media/hdd' is not writable, and I can't get hold of the guy now, can anybody please help? I'm pretty new to this so a step by step if possible please guys

---------- Post Merged at 11:55 PM ----------

The message says mount'/media/hdd' is not writable. Thanks

Box off
Hdd out
Format on pc
Back in box
Box on
(Depending on T.S. settings do below quick)
Menu
Setup
System
Storage devices
Initialisation
Select ur drive
Red to initialise
Wait
Menu
Setup
Vix
Swapfile manager
Blue to create. 256mb
Wait
Yellow to autostart
Green to start
Red to exit
Hold power on remote and select restart

---------- Post Merged at 08:30 AM ----------

Check epg and record/timeshift paths are set correctly.
Try recording

Hi, something a little different but can someone please tell me how to series link a programme that is on more than once a week such as coronation street. I have tried the untick specific dayethod but only gives me a series link on a Friday and I have to manually record the other episodes through the week? Please help....thanks in advance

If you don't mount / initialise the drive you will get a drive full error the first time you record an HD program as they use up about a gig every ten minutes, so at 40 mins you'll be at the fat 32 file limit size of 4 gig - been there, bought the t shirt lol

Last edited:
Box off
Hdd out
Format on pc
Back in box
Box on
(Depending on T.S. settings do below quick)
Menu
Setup
System
Storage devices
Initialisation
Select ur drive
Red to initialise
Wait
Menu
Setup
Vix
Swapfile manager
Blue to create. 256mb
Wait
Yellow to autostart
Green to start
Red to exit
Hold power on remote and select restart

---------- Post Merged at 08:30 AM ----------

Check epg and record/timeshift paths are set correctly.
Try recording

What type of format do I need to do on the USb stick?

Cheers thanks I knew there was a recording limit on these drives , shame the box can't auto reformat to ntfs haha lazy indeed I am

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Hi gang I keep initialising my usb stick turn box off reboot and yeah rewind pause record excellent problem is later on I come to the box and it's stopped working with an error on screen saying tuner lock failed please help much appreciated

I have a 32gb usb stick in the back set up as per bare bones kiddac simply plugged in a wd 1tb drive into the front it was recognised straight away brill to record to pause tv etc I have also unplugged the drive put it to my pc and downloaded stuff to it that plays fine on the zgemma

when you record on the Star 2S, ....what format is the file?........can you take the usb out and then watch it on a pc?
also, can you add media from a PC to the USB stick and then play it back on the Star 2S?

sorry for delay in getting back fat32 i think yes its a 1tb hd will play on any media source the problem i am having is getting the z gemma to to show up in devices

Back